[NEohioPAL] Spiritual Unity: The Legacy and Music of Albert Ayler - Friday March 18 @ The Cleveland Museum of Art

perform perform at clevelandart.org
Fri Mar 11 13:11:05 PST 2011

'Trane was the father. Pharoah was the son. I was the holy ghost.
- Albert Ayler

The Cleveland Museum of Art presents guitarist Marc Ribot and his band
Spiritual Unity performing music of and inspired by Albert Ayler on Friday
March 18 at 7:30 PM.

Spiritual Unity is a group formed by guitarist Marc Ribot dedicated to
re-creating and re-imagining the music of the great saxophonist Albert
Ayler, one of the pillars of modern jazz. This fall marks 40 years since the
untimely death of the Cleveland-born saxophonist. Ribot (Lounge Lizards, Los
Cubanos Postizos, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits and countless other bands) is a
longtime fan of Ayler's who has spent years listening to and internalizing
the communicative group process integral to Ayler's music. Ribot describes
playing Ayler's music as a "ritual process, through improvisation, of
experiencing and presenting the rawest moment of musical creation."

The March 18 concert will feature Marc Ribot and Spritual Unity, including
original Ayler collaborator and compatriot Henry Grimes (bass), with Chad
Taylor (drums) and Roy Campbell (trumpet).

In conjunction with the performance, the film "My Name is Albert Ayler" will
be shown on Wednesday, March 16 at 7:00 PM at the Morley Lecture Hall at The
Cleveland Museum of Art. The film documents the life and legacy of Albert
Ayler and includes rare performance footage and interviews with Ayler's Ohio
relatives.  On Thursday, March 17, a panel discussion entitled "Albert
Ayler: Music, Spirituality and Freedom" will be held at the Thwing Center
Ballroom at CWRU. A panel of interdisciplinary scholars will discuss key
themes associated with the work of Cleveland-born jazz musician Albert
Ayler, including relationships between America and Europe, freedom and
order, and spirituality and jazz as well as concepts of cultural
cross-fertilization. Reception will begin at 5:30 pm, panel discussion
6:00-8:00pm.

For ticket and artist information, including pricing and audio/visual
samples, visit  <http://www.clevelandart.org> www.clevelandart.org.
Follow "events" at the top of the page to 'music and performances'

Special pricing for students! Take advantage of our "Pay What You Can"
program!

To reserve tickets, call 1.888.CMA.0033 or 216.421.7350.

We look forward to seeing you at the performance.

Department of Performing Arts, Music and Film
The Cleveland Museum of Art
11150 East Boulevard
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
216.707.2282