[NEohioPAL] Review of "The Color Purple" at PlayhouseSquare

Bob Abelman r.abelman at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 26 08:29:28 PDT 2011

Less is more in 'The Color Purple'

Bob Abelman

News-Herald, Chagrin Valley Times, Solon Times, Geauga Times Courier

Member, International Association of Theatre Critics

This review will appear in the Times papers 3/31/11

PlayhouseSquare occasionally fills the gaps between its high-end Broadway series shows with other, often lesser touring company productions.  Such is the case with the non-Equity production of The Color Purple, in town for only two performances this weekend.  In fact, the company's national tour consists primarily of two-and-outs and one-night stands.

Although a lesser production, sometimes less is more.

The Color Purple is the musical adaptation of the Alice Walker's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel and film of the same title.  It tells the story of a poor black woman in rural Georgia in the 1910s to1940s who overcomes rape, incest, domestic violence, forced separation from her family, racism and low self esteem, and discovers the beauty within herself and in the world around her.

The play by Marsha Norman lacks the fluid poetry and aptitude for storytelling found in the novel and can't compete with the dramatic, majestic production values of the Steven Spielberg film.   Its songs by Brenda Russell, Allee Willis and Stephen Bray are functional-that is, they push along the busy plot and reveal the inner voices of its characters-and are occasionally fun, but they are most assuredly unremarkable.

The Cleveland Play House's current My Name is Asher Lev and PlayhouseSquare's recent offering of the touring Shrek are perfect examples of how well the words from a complex novel and the visual imagery from a popular film, respectively, can effectively translate to the stage.

In The Color Purple, the play and its production are shallow shadows of the original work.  The performances, however, are absolutely outstanding.

Despite their uniformly unimpressive professional credentials, the large cast of The Color Purple is extraordinary.  Their voices soar, their characterizations ring true, and their dancing ignites the room.  The entire ensemble gives depth and texture to thin material and, in doing so, makes the evening worthwhile.

Under the direction of Gary Griffin and with brilliant, era-appropriate and culture-specific choreography by Donald Byrd, these performers are thoroughly engaging, energizing and entertaining.  The bells, whistles and precision missing from the staging and the art lacking in the book and score are more than made up for by the miracles happening on stage.

>From the leads (a mesmerizing Dayna Jarae Dantzler as Celie) to the supporting cast (a delightful Cameron J. Ross as Celie's stepson, Harpo, and Allison Semmes as his powerhouse of a wife, Sofia) to featured players (the brilliant Greek chorus of church ladies that include Nesha Ward, Virlinda Stanton and Deaun Parker) to the ensemble, talent wins out and saves the day.

Even the traveling orchestra steps up and plays bigger than their small size.

It is easy to dismiss the fill-in productions at PlayhouseSquare and, often, such oversight is warranted.  Sometimes, however, genuine gems in the rough work their way into town and leave with little fanfare or fan base.  Such is the case with The Color Purple.  Be on the lookout for the next one that sneaks into the Palace Theater.