[NEohioPAL] Karamu House Summer Arts Camp!

Carli Miluk broadwaybabe19 at hotmail.com
Tue May 24 11:24:10 PDT 2011

KARAMU SUMMER YOUTH CULTURAL ARTS PROGRAM

Monday, June 6, 2011 – Friday, August 12, 2011
Ages K-14
Monday-Friday 9:30am-4:00pm – Arts Programming Hours
(Weekday Operating Hours 6:30am-6:30pm - so your kids can come early and stay late with supervision!)

Tuition: $140/week (10-week session) - Installment Payment Plan and County Assistance Accepted
Can’t come all 10 weeks? We can work it out with your schedule…
Registration Fee: $150.00 - for field trip transportation costs and entry fees, ID-badge, and Karamu t-shirt
Breakfast, Lunch, and Snack Included Daily

CALL 216-795-7070 x 226 to REGISTER!

Karamu House, Inc. prides itself in recognizing and cultivating the artistic abilities of Northeast Ohio’s youth. We offer a multitude of classes in our summer arts program that will encourage your child to explore the artist within.

DAILY CULTURAL ARTS PROGRAMMING

DRAMA
Students will learn the art of acting through a variety of theatre games and exercises that will engage and challenge them. They will learn: Theatre terminology, Stage directions, Improvisation, Character Development, Scene study, and Participation

MUSIC
Students will explore basic music forms and identify and respond to music of historical and cultural origins. Students will also sing and/or play instruments, alone and with others, demonstrating a variety of repertoire, using proper technique, accurate rhythm and pitch and appropriate expressive qualities.

                                                                                                            DANCE
Students will discover ways to move in time and space while exploring movement dynamics.  The classes emphasize proper physical placement, alignment, strength, musicality and artistry.  Skills learned: Developing self-control & confidence, Various dance, drum, and African word vocabulary, Creative movement, ballet, modern, jazz, tap & Afro-Caribbean forms of dance.

DIGITAL ARTS
In keeping with current trends in technology and the arts Karamu House is excited to offer digital photography to students this summer. In this class children learn: Taking still life, portraits, & action, Lighting & Editing, Shot composition, and Graphic design.

VISUAL ARTS
Always the emphasis is on the student creating his/her own individual creative interpretation of their world, not on quick “formulas” or copying without thought. Art lessons include examples from art history and different world cultures to put the students work into a larger context. Artistic subjects learned include: Drawing, Painting, Ceramics and Two Dimensional Art.

SUMMER READING
All over the country, across all ethnic lines and socioeconomic levels, schools are struggling with their most basic job – teaching kids to read.  Thus we also offer: Read-in @ Karamu, Script reading and analysis, and visits to Cuyahoga County Public Library Book Mobile.

WEEKLY FIELD TRIPS (proposed)
- Shaker Nature Center
- Wild Water Kingdom Theme Park
- Natural Science Museum
- Skating @ Zelma George Center
- Cleveland Indians Baseball Game
- Swings & Things
- other trips TBA

FINAL CAMP PRESENTATION
The camp program concludes with a live performance that showcases the skills and talents the young people have developed in art, drama, music and dance over the summer.

SEUSSICAL, THE MUSICAL!
Friday, August 12, 2011
10:30am & 2:30pm
Karamu’s Jelliffe Theater

Follow the Cat in the Hat, and some of the other lovable characters from some of our favorite Dr. Seuss books in song and dance at Karamu.