[NEohioPAL] Free Artsy Radio Show, Family-Friendly Web Video, Point of No Return Improv, The Curious Case of Katurian K. Katurian, Free Family Friendly Freak Show, Discrimination Workshop

Heads Up Productions info at headsupproductions.net
Wed Jul 6 06:21:15 PDT 2011

Free Artsy Radio Show

The newest episode of Heads Up Arts Radio is up!

HUAR is a weekly internet radio show, highlighting guests from the
arts community of Northeast Ohio.

Episode 5: Jill the Artist and Child-Whisperer

"As an artist, it's your job to push it..."
Hosts Amy Spencer and Sharon Pritt interview artist/child-whisperer
Jill Schumann
Jill currently lives in the Bible Belt: hasn't found the right church
yet
Art has always been in her life
As a child, Jill created her own worlds… and buffalo thighs
Her mom supported her wildness growing up
Her teachers did not
Graffiti: the most freeing medium
Jill's view: all graffiti is art, even if she doesn't agree with it
Akron: it's important to find the good weirdos, versus the creepy ones
The blank walls need to be filled
Jill struggles with supporting concepts like personal property, money,
and owning land: Graffiti is a means of fighting back
Train yard at night + paint + boys = romance… but crossing tracks over
a bridge = fear
Feminism from an early age: no pink vacuum cleaners for little Jill
Kent State's professor Carrie and the magical world of performance art
Friendly Walmart zombies
Performance art is living art
And she lives art with the kids she works with
Student teaching: the penis incident ("If you're gonna do a penis, at
least do it right.")
Jill wants to reach out and make a difference without being a slave to
the public school system (which is still using the same system as the
Reagan era)
Baby's first graffiti: Fighting the prison of coloring books and
building their own world
Jill's starting dreamy, experimental photography projects in Nashville
Influential artists: Banksy (Exit Through the Gift Shop), Basquiat,
and Sophie Calle
The latter of which explores voyeurism to the extreme
Breaching privacy: where's the line? As artists, is it our job to push
the line further? Questions!
If you're offended by Jill's art, she's not sorry
Stalk Jill on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jtothabean
Upcoming Show: Summer Series July 15th at The Market Path at 6pm
(Bring $5 so we can eat!)
Upcoming Show: The Pillowman August 4-7. Tickets are $5. You can't
beat that price for theater this good.
Upcoming Show:  PNR fundraiser on July 16th.  $5 at the Quirk Cultural
Center in Cuyahoga Falls.
Donate!
We are now on itunes!  Search “Heads Up Arts Radio” in the itunes
store.  Subscribe!
Theme Song by Amy Spencer and Sharon Pritt

Check out www.headsupproductions.net/huar to listen.

We are now on iTunes. Search "Heads Up Arts Radio" on iTunes to
subscribe!

Free, Family-Friendly Web Video

New Video of Heads Up Productions Summer Series on website!

Interested in seeing FREE theatre created in Akron, by Akron and for
Akron?

Check out our Summer Series events on July 15, July 22 and August 12
at 6 pm at The Market Path in Highland Sqaure.

And we have video from our June event.  Watch it at www.headsupproductions.net

Point of No Return Improv
is Hosting a Fundraiser for
Heads Up Productions

Saturday, July 16 · 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm

Quirk Cultural Center
1201 Grant Avenue
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

For $5 (or pay-what-you-can) get a night of "Whose Line is it Anyway"-
style comedy and support the COOLEST theatre company in Akron.

Call 330.990.5138 for more information!

The Curious Case of Katurian K. Katurian

A NEW blog post by Company Member Tyler Hodges about Heads Up
Productions' work on The Pillowman by Martin McDonagh.

Heads Up Productions' is using a new rehearsal method to bring to life
this dark, comedic tale of art and child murder.

"As an actor, I already have the words. Then I try to rationalize why
I am saying them, how I say them and what I really mean by saying
them.  I play with dynamics, tonality and tempo. I give a plethora of
line readings to find the ones that feel good.

But ultimately, language fails."

Continue reading about the company's process at www.headsupproductions.net

Free, Family-Friendly Freak Show
The Market Path in Highland Square (next to Chipotle) is hosting Heads
Up Productions’ Summer Series, a cycle of hour-long performances
devised by Heads Up company members. Each month from June-August will
feature a new program consisting of a collection of short,
interrelated pieces created by the actors. The Summer Series will
takes place on the patio outside of The Market Path.

Come on out to Highland Square for some fun, free, and family-friendly
street theatre! The second program entitled 'Imaginarium' will be held
on Friday, July 15th at 6pm and Friday, July 22nd at 6pm, weather
permitting. Admission is free though there is a $5 suggested donation.

Feel free to watch some ridiculous performing, walk through and buy
some trinkets from across the world at Market Path, and then finish it
off with a meal from a nearby restaurant after the show-a warm summer
night of family fun!

July's performances dives in to the idea of imagination, a theme which
pervades theatre and the upcoming production Mr. Marmalade. Experience
the Heads Up inspired 'freak show' including a mystic, a dog-boy, and
conjoined twins among others!

The Ensemble:

TJ Jozsa from Stow, Ohio
Margaret Lute from Akron, Ohio
Brian O Jackson from Akron, Ohio
Nick Kannel from Akron, Ohio
Greg Grimes from Tallmadge, Ohio
Kim Woodworth from Aurora, Ohio

The Market Path is a mission and ministry of First Grace United Church
of Christ in Akron, Ohio. Eager to be a unique, welcoming presence in
the Highland Square community, The Market Path has provided a place to
promote social justice, honesty and integrity in the local retail
market. They are committed to offering fairly traded quality products,
handmade by world and local artisans and local farmers.

Interested in teaching about discrimination?

Heads Up Productions has devised a workshop to teach participants
about discrimination and prejudice firsthand.  The crux of the
workshop is an hour-long role play where Students are divided into
groups where, unbeknownst to them, the group is assigned a minority/
majority social status (i.e. Caucasian, African-American, LGBT, Women,
etc.).  These groups, in no way, are designed to reflect the students’
actual minority/majority status.  Each group is given a limited set of
resources (based on their status) and are given the task of building a
community.  (i.e. the Caucasian group starts with the most resources,
African-Americans start with less, etc.)  They are told that this is a
competition to see who can build the best community.
Heads Up Company Members act as various authority figures who treat
the participants according to stereotypes based on their assigned
social status.  For example, someone from the African-American group
approaches the building authority with a building permit might get
denied because of “improper” English on the form.  The women’s group
might get denied building supplies because they don’t look strong
enough to build a community.

The point of the exercise is not to actually build the city, but to
help the participants internalize the impact of stereotypes and
discrimination.

Participants who have, in many cases, never been part of any
underrepresented group are asked to take on such a role. The
oppressiveness of the simulated activity soon becomes an emotionally
frustrating experience for participants, who get very involved in the
activity. The simulation serves as instrumental ground work for the
discussion that follows.

Total, the workshop runs 3 hours and can include up to 200 participants.

This workshop is designed for participants in middle school and
older.  This workshop can be held as part of a school, work or
community function.  Please email info at headsupproductions.net for
inquiries.