[NEohioPAL] Classic Movie Fan Profiles: Mary Faktor ( Reposting)

Tim Collingwood tc71087 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 13:10:31 PDT 2011

Mary Faktor is a local actor, comedienne, speaker, life coach,  workshop
facilitator, energy practitioner, minister, business owner, and  classic movie
fan. You may have seen her perform her popular original  one-woman comedy show,
The Six Ages of Woman at the Akron Civic  Theatre or other venues around the
country. A member of the Screen  Actors Guild, Mary has had speaking roles in
current films such as American Splendor (with Paul Giamatti) and And The Winner
Is (with Jerry Springer.)  Almost two decades ago, Mary worked as an extra with
Charles Grodin and  Mary Steenburgen in A Summer Story, the little-known sequel
to the much beloved classic, A Christmas Story (1983.)

When asked which classic movies were her favorites, Mary has an impressive list:
Pride of the Yankees, Sergeant York, Love In The Afternoon, any Cary Grant
movie, The Quiet Man, It Happened One Night, Three Came Home, Gone With The
Wind, Stalag 17, Titanic ( the 1953 version with Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton
Webb “the real story”), A Night To Remember, It's A Wonderful Life,  and any
musical that includes Betty Hutton, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire,  Ginger Rogers,
Howard Keel, Judy Garland, or Van Johnson. She is  strongly drawn to movies with
stories of survival, and where  protagonists overcome obstacles and adversity.

I sat down with Mary Faktor yesterday, to talk further about her love of movies.

Tim: Do these classic films influence the theatrical or film productions in
which you get involved?

Mary: No, not really. We actors definitely try to adapt to  whatever role we are
lucky enough to land. As a middle aged-woman, it’s  hard enough to get cast in
film and stage productions. More often than  not, the best female roles are for
women under 30 or over 65. You either  have to be young, firm and slim or aged
and wrinkled. Really great  parts comedic roles for middle-aged women often wind
up to be cast with  men in drag.

In a preliminary interview, Mary talked a lot about her belief in  metaphysics
and spirituality. She has found herself drawn to classic  movies, especially
stories of survival. Interestingly enough, through  most of her adult life, she
has been told how much she looks like  Shirley MacLaine, a classic movie
living-legend who is also drawn to  metaphysics and spirituality.

Tim: Do metaphysics influence your career also?

Mary: Yes, very much so. I am a firm believer in Divine Order,  “whatever is
meant to be, will be.” When I go out for a role, I prepare  for it as well as I
can, look upon the audition as a change to perform  for five minutes, and leave
saying a prayer to the universe, “If being  cast doesn’t mess up the Divine Plan
in any way, I would love this role.  But, you know better than I what is right
for me. My philosophy is  “THIS, or something better.” Then I move on and wait
for the next  opportunity.

Of the modern movies she prefers, Mary loves Forrest Gump and the  Shawshank
Redemption. She loves that Forrest is met with obstacles at  every turn; always
does the right thing for the right reason, triumphs  with every test, and pays
it forward to make the world a better place.  She finds these films very
metaphysical this way.

Tim: Do classic movies motivate you in any way?

Mary: Many definitely inspire me, but I am especially motivated by  the
autobiographies about classic movie and television stars. There is  this myth
about mega-stars who were discovered and became an ‘overnight  sensation.’ Mary
said, “When I read memoirs of mega-stars, that’s simply  not true. They all
struggled for years, “paying their dues.” This has  given me the inspiration to
pursue in continuing my career despite  rejection and tough times. I’ve
performed my show from church basements  to the lobby of the Ritz Carlton to the
Akron Civic Theatre. Classic  movies that showcase this reality of the struggles
of show business  struggles include: Singin' In The Rain, Funny Girl, and
There's No Business Like Show Business.

Tim: From these classic movies, what inspiration do you get from them?

Mary: I developed a “never give up” kind of attitude. Honestly, I  get upset
when I hear about people committing suicide, because they  don’t believe in what
exciting adventure might be waiting around the  corner. You never know what is
out there for you. You’ve got to “keep  on, keeping on.” Another philosophy of
mine is that I don’t perform in  hopes of big money or fame. Just being involved
in doing what I love is  my reward. I do what I do because I truly enjoy doing
it. I feel I’m  making a difference in the world with my acting, speaking and
comedy.

Tim: Are you drawn to story or character?

Mary: I’m drawn to a combination of both story and character. They  intertwine
when done properly. Like mixing vanilla and chocolate  pudding into a swirl,
story and character go hand in hand. I’ll always  be attracted to a meaningful
story with interesting characters of depth.  You can keep the car chases, blood,
gore and special effects. Classic  movies don’t need special effects.

For more information about Mary Faktor, please check out her website:
http://www.maryfaktor.com/userfiles/file/

Continue reading on Examiner.com Classic Movie Fan Profiles: Mary Faktor - Akron
Classic Movies | Examiner.com
http://www.examiner.com/classic-movies-in-akron/classic-movie-fan-profiles-mary-faktor#ixzz1S71Tkeip

If you are a classic movie fan and are from the Greater Cleveland area and work
in the theatre, and you have story to tell, please email me @
tc71087 at hotmail.com