[NEohioPAL] Great Lakes Theater Festival is now Great Lakes Theater

Todd Krispinsky tkrispinsky at greatlakestheater.org
Mon Jul 18 09:41:30 PDT 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 18, 2011

Great Lakes Theater Festival Is Now
GREAT LAKES THEATER

The newly streamlined name for Cleveland's classic theater is designed
to accurately
reflect the company's current seasonal structure and artistic
programming.

CLEVELAND, OH - Great Lakes Theater Festival, Cleveland's professional
classic theater company, will streamline its name to Great Lakes Theater
(GLT) beginning this summer. The company's move to eliminate the word
Festival from its name is designed to establish a succinct moniker for
the regional theater that accurately reflects its current seasonal
structure and artistic programming.

Originally founded in 1962 as the Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival, the
theater's name was changed to Great Lakes Theater Festival in 1985 to
reflect the company's interest in diversifying production offerings
beyond the work of Shakespeare. The company transitioned from a
festival-style producing model to a seasonal structure in 1991.

"While we absolutely remain committed to producing the work of William
Shakespeare and the classics, we no longer present plays in a
festival-style format," said Todd Krispinsky, GLT's marketing and public
relations director. "Our new name, Great Lakes Theater, is a refinement
that more accurately communicates who we are as a company today and
eliminates any potential confusion for audience members who associate
certain expectations with words like 'Festival.' Our Board and staff
believe that our fiftieth anniversary season is the perfect occasion to
make such a name change...as we embark upon a new and exciting chapter
of our company's history."

The theater's transition to its new name will occur in phases. Marketing
materials will reflect the change beginning in late July. The marquee
and interior signage of the company's Hanna Theatre home at
PlayhouseSquare will receive an update in August. Great Lakes Theater's
redesigned website will launch in September.

Great Lakes Theater has brought the pleasure, power and relevance of
classic theater to the widest possible audience since 1962.  The first
resident company of PlayhouseSquare, Great Lakes Theater will celebrate
its fiftieth anniversary season in 2011-12. The theater's programming
reaches 85,000 adults and students annually.

Media Contact:
Todd Krispinsky
Marketing and Public Relations Director
Great Lakes Theater
1501 Euclid Avenue, Suite 300
Cleveland, Ohio  44115
(216) 241-5490 x317 / (216) 241-6315 Fax
www.greatlakestheater.org