[NEohioPAL] Sunshine Boys, Rocky Horror and Auditions: August News from CVLT

Chagrin Valley Little Theatre cvlt at cvlt.org
Wed Jul 27 14:18:32 PDT 2011

  _Chagrin Valley Little Theatre
  August 2011 News _

www.CVLT.org <http://www.CVLT.org> . 440-247-8955
40 River Street, Chagrin Falls OH 44022

Facebook.com/ChagrinTheatre <http://facebook.com/ChagrinTheatre>
Twitter.com/ChagrinTheatre <http://twitter.com/ChagrinTheatre>

  * *Auditions...*
      o *JULY 27 and 28* - AUDITIONS for "The 39 Steps"
        <http://www.cvlt.org/auditions.php>
      o *AUGUST 8 and 9* - AUDITIONS for "Lonely Planet"
        <http://www.cvlt.org/auditions.php>

  * *Comingin September...*
      o *September 9 - 10 : **MURDER BY THE FALLS*: /"Dead Again... and
        Again!"/
        /TICKETS ON SALE BY PHONE AUGUST 1!/ Our wildly popular annual
        fundraiser event returns with a spoof on the Broadway
        'Spider-Man' debacle; a New York director brings her overwrought
        technical nightmare to the CVLT stage, angering everyone. Who
        killed her, and how? You solve the crime!
      o *September 23 - 25 : **SPOTLIGHT ON BROADWAY* - Don Edelman and
        Steve Eva team up for their fourth annual musical event
        featuring the CHAGRIN FALLS STUDIO ORCHESTRA.

      August is packed with laughter and rock 'n' roll!

It seems like just yesterday when we were enjoying the second edition of
the /10-10 Festival of New Plays/ at our River Street Playhouse, and
already we are opening a new production there! The entertainment
continues with CVLT treasures Don Edelman and Frank Mularo starring in
Neil Simon's brilliant comedy, *THE SUNSHINE BOYS
<http://www.cvlt.org/81stSeason/sunshineboys.php>*, sponsored by First
Federal Lakewood, which opens a four-performance weekend on Thursday the
28th and plays through August 13th.

On our main stage is Richard O'Brien's *THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW
<http://www.cvlt.org/81stSeason/rockyhorror.php>*, the original rock 'n'
roll, B-movie musical that spawned the record-breaking cult film /The
Rocky Horror Picture Show/. The opening weekend performances were
greeted with wild applause from the packed houses, and highly
enthusiastic reviews from both the News-Herald and Sun Press, which can
be read on our website <http://www.cvlt.org/81stSeason/rockyhorror.php>.
The show continues Fridays and Saturdays through August 20, with a
special midnight show on August 6th.

Our 82nd Season will begin in September and although individual tickets
aren't available until September 1, you still have a month to get your
hands on a money-saving Season Subscription! We are also holding
auditions for the upcoming shows, including THE 39 STEPS on July 27/28
and LONELY PLANET on August 8/9 - see
*http://www.cvlt.org/auditions.php* for details.

Read on for all the details, and keep an eye on CVLT.org
<http://www.cvlt.org>, our Facebook <http://facebook.com/ChagrinTheatre>
page, or our Twitter <http://twitter.com/ChagrinTheatre> feed for more
info on this performance and other breaking news.

See you soon,
/Your Friends at CVLT/

    */The Rocky Horror Show
    <http://www.cvlt.org/81stSeason/rockyhorror.php>/*

*NOW through August 20, 2011
Fridays & Saturdays at 8:00
Midnight Show, August 6*

Directed by Greta Rothman
Musical Direction by David Keith Stiver
Choreography by Pamela LaForce

*TICKETS: *$18 / $14 students & seniors
(Due to adult themes and situtations, this show is not recommended for
younger audiences.)

*Buy tickets online at
http://www.cvlt.org/81stSeason/rockyhorror.php
or call 440-247-8955*

    "Director Greta Rothman understands parody and camp and makes sure
    everything goes big -- big dance numbers, grand entrances, sexy
    costumes ... there is never a dull moment. "
            ~ Marjorie Preston, Sun News
    <http://cvlt.org/81stSeason/rockyhorror.php#preston>

    "The true allure of /Rocky Horror/ is its actual performance. If
    performed with absolute abandon - that is, if the actors embrace all
    that is campy and over-the-top in this parody, and the audience
    wholeheartedly accepts what it is given - that the B-movie storyline
    and the mindless dialogue take a backseat to the sheer exhilaration
    of the storytelling. This is precisely what occurs during the CVLT
    production under Greta Rothman's very creative direction. She pushes
    all the fun to the forefront and has put together a fine show."
            ~ Bob Abelman, News-Herald
    <http://cvlt.org/81stSeason/rockyhorror.php#abelman>

THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW combines the flamboyant glam rock of the late
1960s and the lowbrow B-movie aesthetics of the early 1960s into an
oddball narrative that's ultimately about fierce individuality and
sexual freedom. The Narrator tells the unlikely tale of naive teenagers
Brad and Janet, who get a flat tire on their engagement night. Seeking a
telephone at a nearby spooky mansion, they are swept into the dominion
of Dr. Frank-N-Furter, a cross-dressing mad scientist with a
laboratory-built loverboy named Rocky Horror. Along with his creepy
servants, Frank draws the unwitting teens into his unconstrained world
of devious schemes and kinky space aliens. Also populating this bizarre
realm are The Phantoms, an ensemble of lost souls who act as 'Greek
chorus' and backing vocalists throughout the show's sixteen high-energy
musical numbers, powered by a six-piece rock band. ROCKY HORROR is the
wild, weird, and sexy rock show that has audiences dancing in the aisles!

*NOTE:* While we encourage fans of the film version to arrive dressed up
as their favorite characters and do the "Time Warp" with us, we ask that
they not bring any 'props' to the theater so that we may keep our
auditorium clean and safe for everyone.

    */The Sunshine Boys <http://www.cvlt.org/81stSeason/sunshineboys.php>/*

*NOW through August 13, 2011
Friday & Saturday nights at 8 PM
Sunday Matinee July 31 * *at 2 PM*

*/at CVLT's River Street Playhouse/*
56 River Street in Chagrin Falls
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=56+river+street,+chagrin+falls&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88311b2e2c9e9b65:0x87f8b1d693469541,56+River+St,+Chagrin+Falls,+OH+44022&gl=us&ei=_G0KTvo0zqSxAt2Z8bgB&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ8gEwAA>

Directed by Kate Tonti

**Generously sponsored by
First Federal Lakewood
<http://www.ffl.net/branches/atmlocations/chagrinfalls.bnc>**

*

*TICKETS: *$10 all seats
Limited seating - reservations strongly suggested!

*Buy tickets online at http://www.cvlt.org/81stSeason/sunshineboys.php
or call 440-247-8955*

In this award-winning comedy from playwright Neil Simon (/The Odd
Couple, Lost in Yonkers, Biloxi Blues)/, Al Lewis (Don Edelman) and
Willie Clark (Frank Mularo) are an aging former comedic duo from the
vaudeville era. Over their forty-something year career, Lewis and Clark
slowly grew to hate each other. When Lewis decided it was time to leave
show business, Clark never forgave him.

Now it's the early 1970s, and the duo has been asked to reunite for a
CBS TV special about the history of comedy. Clark's nephew Ben (Stephen
Kay) wants the duo to revive one of their old routines for the show, but
his attempt to get the duo peacefully through rehearsals and the
broadcast are hilariously foiled by the cantankerous performers.

CVLT's production at the intimate River Street Playhouse, sponsored by
First Federal Lakewood
<http://www.ffl.net/branches/atmlocations/chagrinfalls.bnc>, stars
long-time friends and CVLT Lifetime Members Don Edelman as 'Al Lewis'
and Frank Mularo as 'Willie Clark'. These two have hundreds of hours of
stage time between them, and audiences will agree that there has never
been a better vehicle for their talents than THE SUNSHINE BOYS!

Director Kate Tonti also directs with Amber Slane and Jackie Cassara as
'the nurses', Bob Fortlage as 'the patient', Jenny Barrett as the 'stage
manager', Chris White as 'the voice/producer', and Noah Skinner as 'Mr.
Melnick'.

Seating at the River Street Playhouse is limited and general admission,
so we recommend advance ticket reservations.

*
*ADVERTISE IN OUR PLAYBILL!*
Get your business or message in front of hundreds of theatergoers at
incredibly low prices. Contact Diane Gotliebowski at ads at cvlt.org
<mailto:ads at cvlt.org> or 440.223.5953 to find out about advertising in
our 82nd Season playbills!

Subscribe to our 82nd Season and save!

Our 82nd Season features over 20 events and shows to entertain you, and
buying a Season Subscription now saves you money on our 6 Main Stage
productions!

  * *$75 Regular Subscription*: One ticket to each main stage show
    (that's a 25% savings!)
  * *$65 Senior/Student Subscription*: One ticket to each main stage
    show (20% further below the already great senior/student discount!)
  * *$100 Flex Pass Subscription*: EIGHT tickets to use in any
    combination for any of our main stage productions. Maximum savings
    and maximum flexibility for your entertainment dollar!

Individual tickets will not go on sale until September 1, but you can
save money and reserve your space with a subscription right now by
calling the Box Office at (440) 247-8955 or by visiting
http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason <http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/index.php>!

*MAIN STAGE PLAYS & MUSICALS:*
The 39 Steps (October 7 - 22, 2011)
Scrooge! (November 18 - December 18, 2011)
Enchanted April (January 13 - February 4, 2012)
The Drowsy Chaperone (March 16 - April 14, 2012)
A Night in Provence (June 1 - 23, 2012)
Hairspray (July 20 - August 18, 2012)

*RIVER STREET PLAYHOUSE:*
Lonely Planet (October 28 - November 12, 2011)
A Tuna Christmas (November 25 - December 10, 2011)
Yankee Tavern (February 10 - 25, 2012)
The Gin Game (April 20 - May 5, 2012)
A Steady Rain (June 29 - July 14, 2012)
Belles: A play in two acts and thirty-nine phone calls (August 10 - 25,
2012)

*SPECIAL EVENTS:*
Murder by the Falls: Dead Again... and Again! (September 9 - 10, 2011)
Spotlight on Broadway, featuring the Chagrin Falls Studio Orchestra
(September 23 - 25, 2011)
Ghosts, Goblins & Gobbledygook (October 22 - 23, 2011)
Youth Theater Showcase (November 5, 2011)
Holiday Show & Gingerbread Tea (December 10 - 11, 2011)
Chagrin Falls Studio Orchestra Holiday Concert (December 22 - 23, 2011)
New Year's Eve Show - Pat Mazzarino & Friends (December 31, 2011)
Chagrin Falls Studio Orchestra Valentine Concert (February 11, 2012)
Youth Theater Show (February 25 - 26, 2012)
Chagrin Falls Studio Orchestra Spring Concert (May 12, 2012)

*ENGRAVED BRICK PAVERS!*
Starting at just $75, you can get your own custom engraved brick paver
in our front entrance sidewalk! We'll be installing another round of
bricks before the weather turns cold! See http://www.cvlt.org/bricks

*CVLT.org . 440-247-8955
40 River Street, Chagrin Falls OH 44022*

Chagrin Valley Little Theatre is generously funded by Cuyahoga County
residents through Cuyahoga Arts and Culture. The Ohio Arts Council helps
fund our organization with state tax dollars to encourage economic
growth, educational excellence and cultural enrichment for all Ohioans.