[NEohioPAL] The Makings of a One-Man Show and REVIEW of "I Dreamed of Rats"

Heads Up Productions info at headsupproductions.net
Sun Aug 7 11:59:01 PDT 2011

The Makings of a One-Man Show

The newest episode of Heads Up Arts Radio is up!

HUAR is a weekly internet radio show, highlighting guests from the
arts community of Northeast Ohio.
Episode 10: The Makings of a One-Man Show

Hosts TJ Josza Benjamin Rexroad interview playwright/actor Terrence
Cranendonk
Terry did work sessions with Grotowski in 1984
He was not one of the Chosen Ones, so he chose himself: persistence
Studying theater at Yale
And just missing studying under some of the bigger names of theatrical
history
After leaving the Grotowski session, Terry put the work away for a while
Studying privately under Ryszard Cieslak (after fabricating a space
and nine other students): more persistence
The elements of Terrence’s training/work with fourteen others
- Plastiques
- Scene study (parts they always wanted to play)
- Vocal work
- Stanislavsky (physical action)
Terry’s one-man show “I Dreamed of Rats”: Inspector General as a solo
piece in 45 minutes with lots of props
Some lone rehearsals included silent improvisations
In creating the show, he circled everything that made him laugh aloud
The first public performance was fourteen years ago
He is continually revising it today
In his precision, Terry even scores his thoughts
Never hold onto an association: hold onto what you’re doing
Sloviak’s Four Corners: outside, in freezing rain, on slippery platforms
He worked with New World Performance Lab for seven years
Performing in living rooms everywhere (The “Where We Live” Series)
Performance Plug! Saturday August 20th, 8:00 1057 Gent Road, Akron, OH
(330)664-0623 (space is limited: call for reservations)
And please donate to his cause: e-mail him at terry at dogoodog.com
We are now on iTunes: Search “Heads Up Arts Radio” in the iTunes store
and subscribe!
Theme Song by Amy Spencer and Sharon Pritt
Check out www.headsupproductions.net/huar to listen.

We are now on iTunes. Search "Heads Up Arts Radio" on iTunes to
subscribe!

REVIEW of "I Dreamed of Rats"
by Managing Artistic Director, Benjamin Rexroad

A living room.  A man.  A few props.
We, the scarce amount of guests, had been invited to watch a
performance that almost felt like an intrusion into somebody’s private
home and, in a way, it was.  Terence Cranendonk is creating a new
paradigm for theatrical art in Northeast Ohio.  His “Where We Live”
series is bringing “bold and creative new theater” to people’s homes–
beginning with his own.

The first piece in the “Where We Live” series is entitled I Dreamed of
Rats.  The story is an adaptation of Nickolai Gogol’s The Inspector
General.  In this version, the Russian classic is pared down to one
man, a few props and forty-five minutes.  The mayor, a supporting
character in the original text, gets the full treatment in Rats,
enacting the entire story as part of some wild imagining...

Finish Reading at
www.headsupproductions.net