[NEohioPAL] Swing dance fund raiser in Lakewood for the Cleveland Junior Jitterbugs

Valerie Salstrom info at gethepswing.com
Tue Aug 9 07:58:09 PDT 2011

Okay so this isn't going to be quite your typical Cleveland swing
dance. It is going to be extra super dooper fun!

We start off the evening with an awesome (yet pretty easy) JITTERBUG
LESSON with Andy Lammers and Valerie Salstrom from 8pm-9pm. No need
for a partner for the dance lesson (or dance). We rotate partners
during the lesson so you will get to dance with both new and
experienced dancers....and meet lots of fun people on the way. :)

IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE JITTERBUG LESSONS AT 9pm, there will be a few
performances by the Cleveland Junior Jitterbugs. The Junior Jitterbugs
started as a FREE after school swing dance program for elementary
school children in the Brooklyn Centre neighborhood that is partially
funded by a grant from Neighborhood Connections. When the school year
ended the students begged me (Valerie) to continue teaching them in
the Summer, so a few of the team members were selected to continue and
now we have four local partnerships that will be competing in the
Junior division at the International Lindy Hop Championships (ILHC) in
Washington, DC in just a few weeks. Please come and see their progress
and wish them good luck. *All of the dance instruction the students
have received this Summer to prepare them for ILHC has been for FREE.
Swing dance teachers from around the United States have donated
choreography to each couple in the Junior Jitterbugs and that
choreography has been taught to the students for free by Valerie
Salstrom and Matt Mitchell.

THE DAVE KASPER QUINTET WILL BEGIN THEIR FIRST SET AT 9:15ish. As Dave
and the gang plays do not be afraid to go up and ask someone to dance.
Ask someone you met during the pre-dance lesson, ask someone who is
standing near you on the dance floor, ask someone who is tapping their
toes or swaying to the music....I bet they all would love to dance
with you. Did you know that almost no one says no when you ask them to
dance? Girls! Guys! Get out there and ask someone to dance!

AT THE FIRST BAND BREAK AROUND 10pm, we will have Matt Mitchell and
Sasha Gross performing the routine they will be competing with in the
Pro-Am division at the International Lindy Hop Championships. In the
Pro-Am division an amateur dancer (Sasha) works on a routine with a
professional dancer (Matt) but only the amateur is judged. This will
be pretty exciting for Sasha as she is only 15 and this will be her
first time competing in this division.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! after Matt and Sasha perform we will all take
a step outside to enjoy some FREE FREEZER POPS!!! Ahhhhhh...what a
nice cool treat! --ps. I need some volunteers to show up with scissors
and help cut off the tops of the freezer pops for people.

DON'T GO BACK INSIDE YET! We have MORE fun! We have a frozen t shirt
contest! A wha? Huh? What the heck is that you say? Welllll, we have
some frozen t shirts, frozen solid t shirts, and you have to try to
wrangle those suckers and put them on. First person to get a frozen t
shirt on wins FOUR FREE GET HEP SWING DANCE PASSES!!! At $12 a pop
that is a pretty darn good prize. Be sure to arrive early to sign up
for this awesome and possibly frost bite inducing contest!

AT AROUND 10:30ish THE DAVE KASPER QUINTET will begin to play again
for your dancing pleasure.

****Please be sure to stop by the front desk and make a donation to
the Cleveland Junior Jitterbugs' International Lindy Hop
Championships' fund. They need money to help pay for such things as
costumes and shoes and the practice spaces they have been using to
help them prepare for the event. Thank you for all of your generosity
and support! We are all very excited to represent Cleveland and the
Cleveland swing dance scene!

The dance goes until midnight and we hope you last that long.

Remember that you do not need any previous dance experience or a dance
partner to attend the pre-dance lesson or the dance.

The dance is located at the Lakewood Masonic Temple at 15300 Detroit
Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio. (very near 150th/Warren and Detroit) Park in
the back and enter through the front. Cold beverages and light snacks
are always for sale at this dance.

The cost is only $12 per person or $10 for students and seniors with a
valid ID.

For more information please see www.GetHepSwing.com or call Valerie at
216-374-1927.

Share: