[NEohioPAL] Tickets Now Available for LCCC's Stocker Arts Center Fall 2011 Film Series

Kimberly Carrasquillo kcarrasq at lorainccc.edu
Thu Aug 11 10:30:09 PDT 2011

Tickets Now Available for LCCC's Stocker Arts Center Fall 2011 Film Series

>From exciting thrillers to inspiring dramas, film lovers will enjoy the excitement and variety of the Stocker Arts Center Fall 2011 Film Series at Lorain County Community College.

The fall series, sponsored by the LCCC Film Society, begins on Friday, September 9 with "Vincent Wants to Sea," a charming comedy about the search for happiness and self-discovery.

Patrons, except LCCC students/faculty/staff with valid ID, must purchase an annual membership in the LCCC Film Society for $3 each, which is good through May 2012. The admission price for each film is $6 with membership card. In addition to tickets to individual shows, anytime tickets are available for $6 each and may be used at any film from now through the end of the fall 2011 film series.

Film memberships that are purchased now through September 8 will receive an extra anytime ticket.

The Stocker Arts Center box office is open Mondays through Fridays from 12-6 p.m. and one-and-one-half-hours before ticketed events, including films. For more information, call the box office at (440) 366-4040 or go to www.stockerartscenter.com

The Stocker Arts Center Film Series is truly an alternative cinema, as most of these films have not played in Lorain County and are often not readily available on video.  Audiences have the opportunity to sample the gourmet flavor of prize-winning foreign films, and the exciting energy and originality of contemporary independent American and international cinema.

The Stocker Arts Center's Film Series focuses on human relationships, moral and social issues, cultural and religious diversity, and universal human emotions and aspirations, including humor, disappointment and tragedy.

Below is a listing of films in the LCCC Stocker Arts Center Film Society's Fall 2011 Film Series:

VINCENT WANTS TO SEA
Friday, September 9, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2010 (Not Rated) 96 min. Germany/subtitles Director: Ralf Huettner Cast: Florian David Fitz, Karoline Herfurth, Heino Ferch

"Vincent Wants to Sea" is a charming comedy about the search for happiness and the veritable discovery of one's self along the way. The film tells the story of Vincent, a 27-year-old man suffering from Tourette's Syndrome. When Vincent experiences the trauma of his mother's death, his estranged politician father drops him off at a rehabilitation clinic. There he meets Alex, his new obsessive compulsive roommate, and Marie, a frail yet bold woman suffering from anorexia who instantly connects with Vincent. After Marie steals the car keys of the clinic's leading therapist Dr. Rose, she offers Vincent a chance to escape his present life in which he is viewed as an embarrassment and a disappointment. When Alex threatens to expose their plan, they are compelled to take him along on a journey to the Italian sea Vincent has always longed to visit. With little money they are forced to steal gas along the way, ultimately leading Vincent's father and Dr. Rose on their own voyage to bring the patients back. As they travel through gorgeous landscapes, the three come to discover how much they actually need one another. They also realize that to obtain true happiness they must learn to overcome their own self-hatred. The film won the Audience Choice Award for Best Film at the 2011 Cleveland International Film Festival.

IN A BETTER WORLD
Friday, September 16, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2010 (R) 119 min. Denmark/subtitles Director: Susanne Bier Cast: Mikael Persbrandt, Ulrich Thomsen, Trine Dyrholm, Markus Rygaard

A discussion session will follow the film.

Anton is a doctor who commutes between his home in an idyllic town in Denmark and his work at an African refugee camp. In these two very different worlds, he and his family are faced with conflicts that lead them to difficult choices between revenge and forgiveness. Anton and his wife Marianne, who have two young sons, are separated and struggling with the possibility of divorce. Their older, 10-year-old son, Elias, is being bullied at school until he is defended by Christian, a new boy who has just moved from London with his father. Christian's mother recently lost her battle with cancer and Christian is greatly troubled by her death. Elias and Christian quickly form a strong bond, but when Christian involves Elias in a dangerous act of revenge with potentially tragic consequences, their friendship is tested and lives are put in danger. Ultimately, it is their parents who are left to help them come to terms with the complexity of human emotions, pain and empathy. "In a Better World" was the winner of the 2010 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.

MADE IN DAGENHAM
Friday, September 23, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2010 (R) 113 min. United Kingdom Director: Nigel Cole Cast: Sally Hawkins, Bob Hoskins, Rosamund Pike, Miranda Richardson

When we think of '60s revolutionaries, the women of Dagenham don't fit the clichés-but these feisty, funny, factory girls shook their world with spirit and courage and achieved lasting social change (yes, even the grannies were "girls" to the men of Ford management and their own labor union). Based on a true story, "Made in Dagenham" portrays a decisive moment in that decade of upheaval, when the fight for equal rights and pay at the Ford Dagenham car plant was led-unexpectedly-by ordinary working-class women with one foot in the kitchen, one foot on the factory floor, and ears glued to the pop coming over the radio and telly from far-off London (19 kilometers and a world away). Throughout the campaign, the women of Dagenham relied on their humor, common sense and bravado to stand together, take on their bosses and face an increasingly belligerent local community. Daring to stand up and push boundaries, they changed the rules of the game not only for factory workers but also for the rights and expectations of women everywhere thus proving that ordinary women can achieve something extraordinary.

INCENDIES
Friday, September 30, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2010 (R) 130 min. Canada/subtitles Director: Denis Villeneuve Cast: Maxime Gaudette, Rémy Girard, Lubna Azabal, Mélissa Désormeaux-Poulin

The search begins with the opening of their mother's will. When notary Lebel sits down with Jeanne and Simon Marwan to read them their mother Nawal's will, the twins are stunned to receive a pair of envelopes-one for the father they thought was dead and another for a brother they didn't know existed. In this enigmatic inheritance, Jeanne sees the key to Nawal's retreat into unexplained silence during the final weeks of her life. She immediately decides to go to the Middle East to dig into a family history of which she knows next to nothing. Simon is unmoved by their mother's posthumous mind games. However, the love he has for his sister is strong and he soon joins her in combing their ancestral homeland in search of a Nawal who is very different from the mother they knew. "Incendies" is a deeply moving story that brings the extremism and violence of today's world to a starkly personal level, delivering a powerful and poetic testament to the uncanny power of the will to survive.

THE NAMES OF LOVE
Friday, October 21, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2010 (Not Rated) 102 min. France/subtitles Director: Michel Leclerc Cast: Sara Forestier, Jacques Gamblin, Carole Franck

Baya Benmahmoud is a free-spirited young woman who is just as happy with her clothes off as on and takes the old hippie slogan "make love, not war" a step further than usual. Her "political" strategy is to seduce right-wing men and then, when they're at their most vulnerable point, whisper things like "not all Algerians are thieves" in their ears. One day she meets middle-of-the-road scientist Arthur Martin. She is half-Algerian, tainted psychologically by shameful secrets from her childhood, and he is Jewish, though his family resolutely refused to ever speak of the Holocaust while he was growing up. Out of this basic premise comes a bubbly comedy that appropriately turns more serious toward the end when the various secrets are predictably revealed. Baya is an insouciant fast-talker, very comfortable with and in her body and loves to show it, even in front of scandalized Islamic fundamentalists in the Paris metro where she presents herself completely naked. Amid the bubbly amour, humorous lasciviousness and moments of sheer madness, filmmaker Michel Leclerc injects satirical riffs on such hot-button sociopolitical issues as Arab-Jewish relations, anti-Semitism, immigration, and racial and cultural identity.

WINTER IN WARTIME
Friday, October 28, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2008 (R) 103 min. Holland/subtitles Director: Martin Koolhoven Cast: Martijn Lakemeier, Jamie Campbell, Anneke Blok, Yorick van Wageningen

Nazi-occupied Holland, 1945. In a snow-covered village, 13-year-old Michiel is drawn into the Resistance when he aids a wounded British paratrooper. Michiel's boyish sense of defiance and adventure soon turns to danger and desperation as Michiel is forced to act without knowing whom to trust among the adults and townspeople around him. Wartime's harsh reality encroaches on childhood innocence as Michiel confronts good and evil, courage and duplicity, and his own burden of responsibility. A compelling, incredibly thrilling coming-of-age story from the point of view of a Dutch teenager in the last winter of World War II.

BRIDE FLIGHT
Friday, November 4 - 7:30 p.m.

2009 (Not Rated)  130 min.  Holland/subtitles Director: Ben Sombogaart Cast: Elise Schaap, Karina Smulders, Anna Drijver, Waldemar Torenstra

A forbidden love, an impossible choice, a secret pact. "Bride Flight" tells a powerful story about the inextricable link between the past and the present. The premise of the film is the 1953 Air Race from London to Christchurch, New Zealand, which was won by a Dutch airline, KLM. The story follows the people who were on that plane and how their lives before and after that flight have irrevocably changed and connected them. The film introduces us to four people who were on that KLM flight: Frank, Esther, Ada and Marjorie. Each character carries with them not only their luggage, but the baggage that World War II left behind. Many Dutch people took the leap of faith, or flight of faith, to an unknown land for a new start. Many of these passengers were young women who were flying to meet their fiancées in order to begin life anew in New Zealand. The flight itself, therefore, became known as the "bride flight." Frank, Ada, Esther and Marjorie all meet for the first time while aboard the KLM flight. Frank is a young bachelor looking to make his fortune in New Zealand, while the ladies are all brides-to-be. The story becomes complicated when already pregnant and religious Ada begins to sense the undeniable chemistry between her and Frank. Through these numerous complicated relationships with Frank and among themselves, the characters remain tied to one another throughout their whole lives as the film seamlessly jumps back and forth between the past and present. This is an epic tale of adultery, betrayal and near tragedy, including gorgeous views of the New Zealand landscape.

WIN WIN
Friday, November 11, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2011 (R) 106 min. USA  Director: Tom McCarthy Cast: Paul Giamatti, Alex Shaffer, Amy Ryan, Jeffrey Tambor

Struggling attorney Mike Flaherty, who volunteers as a high-school wrestling coach, takes on the guardianship of an elderly client in a desperate attempt to keep his practice afloat. When the client's teenage grandson runs away from home and shows up on his grandfather's doorstep, Mike's life is turned upside down as his win-win proposition turns into something more complicated than he ever bargained for. The film movingly explores the allegiances and bonds between unlikely characters with a lighter touch, balancing drama with comedy and broken hearts with poignant humanity.

EVEN THE RAIN
Friday, November 18 - 7:30 p.m.

2010 (R)  103 min.  Spain/subtitles Director: Iciar Bollain Cast: Gael Garcia Bernal, Luis Tosar, Najwa Nimri

Sebastian and Costa are lifelong friends only in the way a warring couple might be. Sebastian is an obsessive idealist who has sworn to his inner self that he will direct a film about one of the world's most iconic figures, Christopher Columbus. He is determined to upturn the conservative myth of Western Civilization's arrival in the Americas as a force for good. Rather, his story is about what Columbus set in motion: the obsession with gold, the hunt for slaves by Spanish mastiffs and punitive violence to those Indians who fought back. Costa doesn't give a damn.  He cares little about what happened yesterday, never mind 500 years ago. The only thing that matters to him is that the film is made on time and within budget. Despite Sebastian's fury, they will shoot the film in Bolivia, the cheapest and most Indian of Latin American countries. As Sebastian and Costa struggle with their film, the violence in the community in which they shoot increases by the day, until the entire city explodes into the now infamous Bolivian Water War. 500 years after Columbus, sticks and stones confront the steel and gun powder of a modern army.

THE TREE OF LIFE
Friday, December 9, 2011 - 7:30 p.m.

2011 (PG-13) 138 min. USA Director: Terrence Malick Cast: Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, Jessica Chastain

A discussion session will follow the film.

"The Tree of Life" is centered around three boys in the 1950s. Jack is an 11-year-old boy in the Midwest, who is one of three brothers. At first, the world seems marvelous to the child. He sees everything as his mother does, with the eyes of his soul. She represents the way of love and mercy while the father tries to teach his son the world's way, of putting oneself first. Each parent tries to influence Jack, who must reconcile their claims with each other. The picture darkens as he has his first glimpses of sickness, suffering and death. The world, once a thing of glory, becomes a labyrinth. Framing this story is the life of adult Jack (Sean Penn); a lost soul in a modern world. When he sees all that has gone into our world's preparation, each thing appears a miracle precious and incomparable. Jack, with his new understanding, is able to forgive his father and take his first steps on the path of life. Through Malick's signature imagery, we see how both brute nature and spiritual grace shape not only our lives as individuals and families, but all life. The story ends in hope, acknowledging the beauty and joy in all things, in the everyday and above all in the family.

-30-

Kim Carrasquillo

Writer

Marketing and Outreach Initiatives