[NEohioPAL] Local Dance Companies Take Center Stage at PlayhouseSquare Sept. 9

Cindi Szymanski Cindi at playhousesquare.org
Mon Aug 29 05:47:18 PDT 2011

Local Dance Companies Take Center Stage
at PlayhouseSquare September 9

The PlayhouseSquare Community Engagement & Education Department presents its ninth annual Dance Showcase on Friday, September 9 at 7 p.m. in the Palace Theatre. Featuring nine of Northeast Ohio's finest professional dance companies, the performance highlights a wide array of dance styles from ballet to contemporary to classical Indian dance.

The companies performing are African Soul International, Dance/Theater Collective, The Dancing Wheels Company, The Greene/Medcalf Movement Project, Inlet Dance Theatre, Neos Dance Theatre, Sara Whale, Shri Kalaa Mandir, and Verb Ballets. A selection committee reviewed all of the submissions received and chose these nine companies for their quality and diversity. The committee was comprised of Laura Burkhart, Director of Programming and Marketing for the New Orleans Ballet Association; Linda Jackson, Program Manager at PlayhouseSquare and former dancer, instructor and artistic associate with the Cleveland San Jose Ballet; and Taryn Kaschock Russell, Director, Hubbard Street 2 and Artistic Associate, Hubbard Street Dance Chicago.

"PlayhouseSquare is known for bringing the best of Broadway and the performing arts to Cleveland," explained Colleen Porter, director of community engagement and education at PlayhouseSquare, "but we also want to give people the chance to experience work by local artists. The diversity and level of excellence exhibited by our local dance companies is astounding."

At the close of the show, guests will be treated to a special preview of the dance number "That's Life" from Twyla Tharp's new Broadway musical, Come Fly Away, featuring the legendary vocals of Frank Sinatra.

As a not-for-profit organization, PlayhouseSquare relies on charitable giving to present the Dance Showcase and similar experiences to the community. "Our donors and sponsors make it possible for us to present the Dance Showcase with no charge for admission, which makes it a wonderful opportunity for everyone, especially those new to dance, to enjoy this beautiful art form," said Linda Jackson.

Those wishing to learn more about the various styles of dance are invited to visit the "Appreciating Dance" page on the PlayhouseSquare website, which can be found at playhousesquare.org/danceedu.