[NEohioPAL] Great Program for 50+ Art & History Lovers

DeeNCR at aol.com DeeNCR at aol.com
Tue Sep 27 08:08:53 PDT 2011

 Come to
       Senior College Day at  Lakeland
Friday, October 14, from 9:00 - 2 p.m.

8:45 - 9:15 a.m. - Check-In  and Coffee in H-Building, Room 101

9:30 - 10:30 a.m. - Dennis Eckart  Presents: Visions for Northeast Ohio
As an elected official for  almost 20 years and most recently as president
of the nation's largest chamber  of commerce, the Greater Cleveland Growth
Association, Dennis E. Eckart has seen  a lot of changes. Eckart's insights
into how our region can better compete to  recruit top job talent and be more
competitive in keeping our own home-grown  talent, including our kids and
grandkids, here at home is a challenge that  requires us all to become part
of the solution. The former congressman will talk  about the ebb and flow of
political power, the changing demographics of Ohio,  and what we can do in
our own backyard to help make a difference.

10:45 - 11:45 a.m. - Irish Music and Cultural Heritage with Bob  Coughlin
A Lakeland English Professor and student of  Irish-Gaelic, Bob Coughlin,
will discuss traditional Irish music and the  cultural heritage (poetry,
stories, religion, even food culture) of  Ireland--much of which was brought by
Irish immigrants to Northeast Ohio. There  will be music and songs (jigs,
reels and airs), some in Irish -Gaelic, with a  bit of audience participation.

12:00 - 12:45 p.m. - FREE  LUNCH - Breakers Dining Hall

1:00 - 2:00 p.m. - The Stories  Behind the Great Lakes Exposition, with
Local Historian, Rebecca  McFarland
The Great Lakes Exposition was an event that was world  class, comparable
to the World’s Fairs that were so popular at that time. The  Expo was held on
Cleveland’s waterfront during the summer of 1936 to celebrate  the
centennial anniversary of the incorporation of the city. The event was so
successful that it was held over for a second summer in 1937. Rebecca McFarland,
Euclid Public Library coordinator of community relations, will show slides
demonstrating an era when our waterfront was the “place to be.” It was a time
when big name entertainers, athletes from the Olympics, and dazzling
displays  from around the world made Cleveland the vacation destination for
millions of  Americans.

$39.00, including  lunch  **Registration deadline is October 10, 2011.
Register at _Course  Information/Status_
(https://cl.lakelandcc.edu/CourseStatus.awp?&course=12FCLL901.01)
Or Call, 440-525-7116