[NEohioPAL] PRESS Release: ENSEMBLE Opens in NEW Space with "Waiting For Lefty"

Ensemble Theatre info at ensemble-theatre.org
Tue Sep 27 18:51:38 PDT 2011

PRESS INFORMATION

PRESS RELEASE:  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ENSEMBLE THEATRE OF CLEVELAND

September 27, 2011

(T) 216-321-2930

(F) 216-916-4531

CONTACT: info at ensemble-theatre.org

*ENSEMBLE THEATRE OPENS at COVENTRY with “**WAITING FOR LEFTY**”*

An impending labor vote, a depressed economy, unemployment, war,
freedom, America… no it’s not October 2011 - it’s October 1935.

Ensemble Theatre opens its 32nd consecutive season “*Play Your Part!*” with
American Master, Clifford Odets’ 1935 call to action “Waiting for Lefty” in
our NEW space in CLEVELAND HTS.!

“*’Waiting For Lefty* is truly an Ensemble play in every sense of the word.
We are excited to be in our new space and are all set to welcome audiences
to Ensemble this season.”  says artistic director Celeste Cosentino, now in
her second year at the helm of the Heights based professional theater and
the driving force behind the theatre’s move back to Cleveland Heights after
8 years in residence at the Cleveland Play House.  Ensemble’s new space is
located in the former Coventry School building, at 2843 Washington Blvd.

“There is not a person in this crowd in whom I do not find a part of myself”
commented Clifford Odets after the 1935 premiere of  “*Waiting for Lefty*”
by the Group Theatre.  The play’s plot centers around a group of unionized
taxi cab drivers in 1935 waiting for their leader Lefty Costello.  The
production hits 8 vignettes, sketching the socio-economic climate of the
depression era and the struggle of the workers to bring humanity to the
workplace and to keep love and hope alive in difficult times. The relevance
of the script to today is staggering: November’s Ohio Ballot Issue 2
concerning collective bargaining for public employees, unemployment,
healthcare, the housing crisis all are touched on by Odets in this agit-prop
classic by highlighting the struggle of everyday people for justice and
survival.

The “*Waiting For Lefty* “ Ensemble includes Eric Roediger*, Skip
Corris*,  David
Hundertmark, Katie Wilkinson, Ryan Lucas, Katie Atkinson, Tyler Whidden,
Layla Schwartz, Katie Nabors, James Rankin, Chris Bizub, Stephen
Vasse-Hansell, Allen Branstein and William Goff.  ( * Members of Actors’
Equity Association). Stage Manger Joel Rathbone joins for his first Ensemble
production.

Ensemble’s current *“Kickstarter”* fundraising campaign supports union and
non-union actors in “*Waiting for Lefty*”.  Supporters can join our Ensemble
by making an online pledge to assist the theatre in the completion of this
important project.  Fundraising will end OCTOBER 14ths.  There are great
REWARDS for all pledge levels, and you will *"Play your Part” *in our
Ensemble!  Here is the link:

*
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ensemblecleveland/join-the-ensemble-waiting-for-lefty-equity
*

*
*

*“Waiting for Lefty”* opens October 7th and runs through October 30th.   Run
time is 1 hour 15 minutes.   Performances are Fridays & Saturdays at 8pm and
Sundays at 2pm.  Tickets are $20 for Adults, $18 for Seniors, and $10 for
Students.  Student rush tickets are $1 for all CH/UH students with a valid
ID and $5 for all other students under 21 and are released 10 minutes prior
to curtain pending availability.  Free parking is available in the
Washington Blvd. lot adjacent to the theatre building.  A reception will
follow the Friday Oct. 7th opening night performance. Come to the show and
walk to the shops and restaurants of Coventry Village! (
http://www.coventryvillage.org )

To purchase tickets in advance please visit our web-site
www.ensemble-theatre.org and click the box office tab "*Waiting For Lefty -
Single Tickets"*.

You can also order by phone.  Call 216-321-2930.

For more information on the remainder of our exciting 2011-2012 Season
please visit our website at www.ensemble-theatre.org.

--
*PLAY YOUR PART *
*Ensemble Theatre's 2011-2012 Season!*
*NEW SPACE at the Coventry School!*
*2843 Washington Blvd.  Cleveland Hts., OH 44118*
*
*
*WAITING FOR LEFTY*
*by: Clifford Odets*
*Directed by: Ian Hinz*
*Oct. 7-Oct. 30*
*
*
*ST. NICHOLAS*
*by: Conor McPherson*
*Directed by: Sarah May*
*Starring: Dana Hart * *
*Nov. 18-Dec. 11*
*
*
***PANORAMA of AFRICAN AMERICAN THEATRE IV:*
*If not me, who?...If not now, when?  *
*2 Shows in Rep! (Alternating Weekends)*
*Jan. 12-Feb. 19*
*SONG FOR CORETTA*
*by: Pearl Cleage*
*Directed by: Margaret Ford-Taylor*
*LOWER NINTH*
*by: Beau Willimon*
*Directed by: Celeste Cosentino*
*
*
*THE COLOMBI NEW PLAYS FESITVAL!*
*3 Plays by 3 Cleveland Playrights!*
*Alternating perfomances!  *
*March 8-April 1.*
*DANCING WITH N.E.D.*
*Written and Directed by: Tyler Whidden*
*DESTROYING THE LIGHT*
*By: Sasha Thackaberry   *
*Directed by: Peter Voinovich*
*GROUNDS FOR DISMISSAL*
*by: Cindy Dettlebach*
*Directed by: Celeste Cosentino*
*(Visit Website for Specific Show Dates.)*
*
*
*GRUESOME PLAYGROUND INJURIES*
*by: Rajiv Joseph*
*Directed: by Fred Sternfeld*
*April 27-May 20.*
*
*
*TICKETS, SUBSCRIPTIONS, & **INFORMATION *
*VISIT OUR WEBSITE:*
*www.ensemble-theatre.org*
*EMAIL: *
*info at ensemble-theatre.org*