[NEohioPAL] Lakeland Audtions: Anyone Can Whistle

Martin Friedman martinfriedman98 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 13:42:18 PDT 2011

Lakeland Theatre
announces
 AUDITIONS
for

ANYONE CAN WHISTLE
Music and Lyrics byStephen Sondheim

Book byArthur Laurents
ANYONE CAN WHISTLE:Where to start? Anyone Can Whistle just may be the most challenging musical you will be in. PERHAPS one of the bravest show Stephen Sondheim has written (along with Assassins). Whistle contains a wonderfully haunting score and a very strong book that resonates more today than when first produced in 1964. This will be the first professional production of Anyone Can Whistle since it was done in the early 1970’s at Cain Park. Please join us in putting it together?

Directed byMartin Friedman

 Set and Lighting Design byTrad A Burns

Musical Direction byLarry Goodpaster

Choregraphy by  Jennifer Justice
   Costumes Designed byHarold Crawford
Sound Designed byEric Simna
Technical Design  William Amato
Production Stage ManagerJoel Rathbone

Auditions:
Sunday, October 23, 2011  11:00am - 12:30pm SHARP.
Monday, October 24, 2011 7:30pm - 9:00pm
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:30pm - 9:00pm
Callbacks: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:30pm

NO ROLES ARE PRE-CAST. Please prepare a contemporary musical theater piece, with accompaniment and in the correct key. No a cappella auditions please. No need to arrange an appointment time. Also, no need to prepare a monologue. Although the scenes are not very long….. I will have you read directly from the script. ALL ROLES ARE COMPENSATED. I MAY HAVE ONE EQUITYCONTRACT AVAILABLE.Callbacks will be held on Wednesday, October 26. Those folks that audition on Sunday, please be aware that this time is only for folks who are in rehearsal and cannot meet any of the other two dates. We will stop precisely at 12:30pm. Wednesday will be dedicated to callbacks. CASTING WILL BE COMPLETED BY THE END OF OCTOBER.

THE PLAY:
Where to start?? Anyone Can Whistle is a musical about political corruption and the very fine differences between sanity and conformity. The Mayoress, Cora Hoover Hooper, who is an owner of a manufacturing plant that produces parts that never wear out. She has led her town into bankruptcy. To save the town, she creates, with her merry band of corrupt politicians, a miracle which she hopes will bring in the tourists. Unfortunately for her, during the tourist rush, the inmates of the local asylum, called the Cookie Jar, escape and 'mix' with the tourists. A doctor named Hapgood surfaces and claims to be able to identify the ‘cookies’ from the sane members of society. Nurse Fay Apple, who let her ‘cookies’ escape by accident, reappears as a consultant from Lourdes. Hapgood and Apple hook up; maybe.

Production and Rehearsal dates:
Anyone Can Whistles will open on Friday, February 3 and run through February 19, 2012. There will be 10 performances over this period. Rehearsals will begin in early in December. We will be off during the holidays; resuming rehearsals on January 2, 2012.  Rehearsals will generally be Sunday afternoon/evening through Friday.

The Roles:
Fay Apple, a nurse from the Cookie Jar: Female, Mezzo. Between the ages of 25 and 35 years.
Cora Hoover Hooper, the Mayoress: Female, Alto. Between the ages of 35 and 55 years
J Bowden Hapgood: Male, Baritone. Between the ages of 30 and 55 years
Chief of Police Magruder: Male, whatever. Between the ages of 25 and 50 years
Treasurer Cooley:Male, Baritone. Between the ages of 25 and 50 years
Comptroller Schub:Male, Baritone. Between the ages of 25 and 50 years
Dr. L Sidney Detmold: Male, whatever. Between the ages of 35 and 60 years
Baby Joan: Female. Between the ages of 12 and 15 years: on the younger looking side would be better.
Mrs. Schroeder: Female. Between the ages of 35 and 45 years
The Company: Between the ages of 18 and 70 years. We need all kinds of people since we are all insane; Caucasian, African-American and everything in-between. This is not a 'do-nothing chorus'. There is a  huge 12 minute dance and singing number at the end of Act I. Many different character parts throughout with solos. Much singing and dancing.

For more information please feel free to either email me, Martin Friedman, at martinfriedman98 at yahoo.com or call 440.525.7034 (and press #1 to bypass the message) or my cell 216/233-5441. DIRECTIONS TO LAKELAND: Take I90 east and exit at the second exit, Route#306. Turn right (south) on Rt. #306. Turn left into the Lakeland Community College, the first light. Get in the right lane in this access road. Turn right at the stop sign. Turn right at the next stop sign. Turn left into the faculty/staff parking lot. Parking in the Faculty/Staff parking lot is free after 7:00pm. The gate will open at 7:00pm. Park at the other end of the parking lot. The PAC is just past and to the left of the Clocktower.