[NEohioPAL] PRESS RELEASE: Two Actors Inhabit "Lonely Planet" at CVLT's River Street Playhouse

Chagrin Valley Little Theatre cvlt at cvlt.org
Wed Oct 19 15:06:57 PDT 2011

  *PRESS RELEASE*
  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Date: 10-19-11

Contact: Andrew Rothman
From: Chagrin Valley Little Theatre

40 River Street
Chagrin Falls, OH 44122
Phone: 440-247-8955
E-mail: cvlt at cvlt.org <mailto:cvlt at cvlt.org>
Website: www.cvlt.org <http://www.cvlt.org/>

High-resolution PHOTOS are freely available for use at
www.CVLT.org/promo <http://www.CVLT.org/promo>

    Two Actors Inhabit /Lonely Planet/ at CVLT's River Street Playhouse//

CHAGRIN FALLS, OH - Chagrin Valley Little Theatre's River Street
Playhouse, a smaller 'black box' venue adjacent to CVLT's main venue in
Chagrin Falls, begins its new season on October 28th with Steven Dietz'
/Lonely Planet/. True to The River Street's style, /Lonely Planet/ is a
small-scale play, starring just two actors, yet examining bigger
questions; Who are our friends and why? How far would we go for them?

Actor Don Knepper appears as Jody, an introvert who owns and operates a
map store in a rundown area of town. He is so fearful of the outside
world that he's become practically agoraphobic, seldom leaving his
store. His far more outgoing friend Carl, played by Matt Mortenson,
comes and goes regularly, and is Jody's connection to the outside world.
He brings tall tales about his various professions, games, and
entertainment. He provides Jody with a taste of the outside world that
Jody would prefer not to acknowledge, and tries to convince him that
it's not just okay to go outside, but that he needs to take
responsibility for his life.

/Lonely Planet/ is, beneath the absurdly comical surface, a play about
AIDS - and yet it never mentions the word, nor does it act as an
'awareness' piece. Instead, the story of this endearing and poignant
friendship uses the disease to present two courses of thought: do we
hide ourselves away from the world and its imperfections or do we
immerse ourselves and hopefully make a difference?

The production is directed by David Malinowski, a theater faculty member
at Fine Arts Association in Willoughby, whose previous River Street
Playhouse directing stint (/Almost, Maine/ - 2009) received critical
acclaim.

Performances of /Lonely Planet/ are Fridays and Saturdays, October 28 -
November 12 at Chagrin Valley Little Theatre's River Street Playhouse,
56 River Street in historic Chagrin Falls Village. All performances are
at 8 PM. Tickets are $10 per person and are available online at
www.CVLT.org, or by phone at 440-247-8955, Monday through Saturday from
1-6 PM. The play includes some strong language. Complete details on
CVLT's 82nd Season are available online at www.CVLT.org.

Chagrin Valley Little Theatre is generously funded by Cuyahoga County
residents through Cuyahoga Arts and Culture and is supported by the Ohio
Arts Council.

###