[NEohioPAL] Activist Documentary Film Festival hosted at Kent State University at Stark

WILLIAMS, CYNTHIA cdwillia at kent.edu
Wed Oct 26 09:47:19 PDT 2011

T.A.S.K., Kent State University at Stark student organization, launches Activist Documentary Film Festival

T.A.S.K. (Take Action. Spread Knowledge.), a student organization at Kent State University at Stark, is hosting a their first annual Activist Documentary Film Festival, featuring five films that will challenge views to question the world around us. The five-day festival will run from October 31 through November 4 in the Main Hall Auditorium, 6000 Frank Avenue NW in Jackson Township. All films are free and open to the public. No tickets are required.

The documentaries will highlight social and environmental justice issues facing our communities on local, national and global levels. Each film will be followed by a facilitated discussion.

Split Estate

Monday, Oct. 31 at 7 p.m.
The winner of several film awards, Split Estate cracks the sugarcoating on the natural gas industry, which is commonly touted as a clean alternative to fossil fuels, and poignantly drives home the need for real alternatives.

Tapped

Tuesday, Nov. 1 at 7 p.m.

This screening is sponsored, in part, by the Herbert W. Hoover Foundation.

Tapped examines the role of the bottled water industry and its effects on our health, climate change, pollution and our reliance on oil.

Food, Inc.

Wednesday, Nov. 2 at 7 p.m.

This film lifts the veil on our nation's food industry, exposing the highly mechanized underbelly that has been hidden from the American consumer with the consent of our government's regulatory agencies, the USDA and FDA.

Hempsters: Plant the Seed

Thursday, Nov. 3 at 7 p.m.
This screening is sponsored, in part, by Plant Kingdom Bakery in Akron, Ohio.

Hempsters follows the lively exploits of activists for and against the movement for the (re)legalization of the hemp plant in America.

If a Tree Falls: A Story of the E.L.F.

Friday, Nov. 4 at 7 p.m.

This 2011 Sundance Film Festival award winner tells the remarkable story of the rise and fall of an Earth Liberation Front (E.L.F.) cell by focusing on the transformation and radicalization of one of its members. Part coming-of-age tale, part cops-and-robbers thriller, the film asks the hard questions about environmentalism, activism and the way we define domestic terrorism.

T.A.S.K. is a student-led organization that welcomes all faculty, staff, students and community members to join the movement. The organization's mission is to raise awareness about social and environmental justice issues affecting our daily lives and to encourage action toward a better world. The objective of the Activists Documentary Film Festival is to inspire viewers to seek knowledge, take personal responsibility and hold the leaders of our nation accountable. For more information about T.A.S.K. and the film festival, visit taskohio.org.