[NEohioPAL] Pay What you Can-Opening of St. Nicholas

Ensemble Theatre info at ensemble-theatre.org
Thu Nov 17 09:41:37 PST 2011

*TO ALL OF OUR NEOHIOPAL FAMILY!*
*Come out and support Local Theatre and the marvelous DANA HART* this
weekend!  (*member of Actors' Equity)*
*FOR THIS WEEKEND, FRIDAY AND SATURDAY...*
*Come to the theatre and PAY WHAT YOU CAN to see this great show!  *

*ST. NICHOLAS
*By Conor McPherson
DIRECTED BY: Sarah May

* ST NICHOLAS *
*finds an aging jaded theatre critic recounting his obsession with a young
actress, and how that obsession leads to a journey into a macabre world of
vampires from which he almost can't escape............
*
Conor McPherson (Playwright) is one of a handful of brilliant new Irish
playwrights who have continued the tradition of Synge, O’Casey, and Brian
Friel, while bringing new life to the world stage. Born in Dublin is 1971
McPherson began writing for the stage while studying at University College
of Dublin. His first pieces embraced the Irish style of storytelling in
monologues: The Good Thief, This Lime Tree Bower, Rum and Vodka, and, of
course, St. Nicholas (1995). Encouraged to write a play with more
characters, and commissioned by the Royal Court in London, he turned out The
Weir, in 1997. It brought together five lonely people in an isolated pub,
where they told each other “stories.” The Weir was an award-winning success
in London, Dublin, and New York, and established the 26 year old writer as
“one of the finest voices writing for the stage.”  He returned to the
monologue form in 2000 with Port Authority, featuring three men whose lives
intersect. After a well-reported breakdown and struggle with alcoholism, he
made a triumphant return to the stage with Dublin Carol (premiered on
Broadway in 2002), Shining City (2006), and The Seafarer (2007). He adapted
Daphne DuMaurier’s The Birds for the Gate Theatre in Dublin in 2009, and
his most recent play The Veil was produced by The National Theatre in
London earlier this fall. He has written screenplays for numerous films and
television productions, including I Went Down, Saltwater, The Actors,
andThe Eclipse,which opened at the Tribeca Film Festival in 2009, and
has received wider
distribution. His plays continue to be produced and garner awards all over
the world. Ensemble Theatre proudly introduced Cleveland audiences to his
work with a production of The Weir in 2002, directed by Licia Colombi. The
Seafarer can be seen at Dobama Theatre this December.

Thoughts on St. Nicholas from the Director.
There has been a lot of discussion about whether this is a Christmas show
or not. Yes, it is titled St. Nicholas, and wasn’t he the forerunner of
Father Christmas and Santa Claus? Wasn’t he the Patron Saint of Giving, the
Protector of Children? Conor McPherson tells us he got the idea when
visiting St. Nicholas Church in Kilkenny, where he was surprised by the
gothic gargoyles and “horror film” icons about the place. Perhaps he was
even taken with one of the oldest legends that tells of a little child,
stolen away by gypsies to be their slave, but magically restored by St.
Nicholas to his home when his service is complete, bearing a golden cup.
Whatever the intention this is our holiday gift to you. One critic said St.
Nicholas satisfies the “story-hungry child” in us all, and it is a “toast
to storytelling as theatre.” We come together in a magical place, the
theatre, to share a story. In this case it is the story of a cynical, aging
man who lives life like a bloodsucker, while pining for earlier times of
innocence and hope, like Christmas Eve when his children were small. His
tale plunges us into a dark world, and we don’t clap “if we believe in
fairies”, but we can cheer for the man to be restored and embrace his life
in the present. To be redeemed. We can drop our teens off at the cineplex
for the latest vampire epic, and then indulge ourselves in a bit of adult
blarney. We can use our imaginations, be “cradled” in the music of Conor
McPherson’s language, and enjoy the immense talent of Dana Hart as tour
guide on this great adventure. As the playwright says “…and for me, that’s
full of mischief.” Be Merry!

PERFORMANCES ARE FRIDAY AND SATURDAY THIS WEEKEND AT 8PM. .
PAY WHAT YOU CAN!

*There will be no SUNDAY matinee at our space on Coventry.  *
*That performance will be part of a Benefit at Nighttown for Ensemble.  *
*Come and enjoy the show, great food, good company and win some fantastic
prizes.  *
*-Tickets to Beck Center, Cleveland Play House, Cleveland Public Theatre,
Dobama Theatre, The Cleveland Museum of Art *Special Exibit and Movie
Vouchers, Gift Certificates to local restuarants, and a 3 nigh stay in
NYC.-  (silent auction and raffle).  *
**
*Tickets for the benefit and all remaining performances can be purchased by
calling 216.321.2930.  *
*You can also purchase on our website at
**www.ensemble-theatre.org*<http://www.ensemble-theatre.org/>
*.*
**

*PLAY YOUR PART *
*Ensemble Theatre's 2011-2012 Season!*
*NEW SPACE at the Coventry School!*
*2843 Washington Blvd.  Cleveland Hts., OH 44118*
*

Up next......
*
*ST. NICHOLAS*
*by: Conor McPherson*
*Directed by: Sarah May*
*Starring: Dana Hart * *
*Nov. 18-Dec. 11*
*
*
***PANORAMA of AFRICAN AMERICAN THEATRE IV:*
*If not me, who?...If not now, when?  *
*Jan. 12-Feb. 19*
*SONG FOR CORETTA*
*by: Pearl Cleage*
*Directed by: Margaret Ford-Taylor*
*January 12-January 29.  Thurs-Sundays.*
*LOWER NINTH*
*by: Beau Willimon*
*Directed by: Celeste Cosentino*
*February 2-February 19.  Thurs-Sundays.*
*
*
*THE COLOMBI NEW PLAYS FESITVAL!*
*3 Plays by 3 Cleveland Playrights!*
*Alternating perfomances!  *
*March 8-April 1.*
*DANCING WITH N.E.D.*
*Written and Directed by: Tyler Whidden*
*DESTROYING THE LIGHT*
*By: Sasha Thackaberry   *
*Directed by: Peter Voinovich*
*GROUNDS FOR DISMISSAL*
*by: Cindy Dettlebach*
*Directed by: Celeste Cosentino*
*(Visit Website for Specific Show Dates.)*
*
*
*GRUESOME PLAYGROUND INJURIES*
*by: Rajiv Joseph*
*Directed: by Fred Sternfeld*
*April 27-May 20.*
*
*
*TICKETS, SUBSCRIPTIONS, & **INFORMATION *
*VISIT OUR WEBSITE:*
*www.ensemble-theatre.org*
*EMAIL: *
*info at ensemble-theatre.org*