[NEohioPAL] A Review of DAYBREAK'S CHILDREN at the Balch Street Theatre

Jeff Holland mikethelimeyandikethehick at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 20:03:48 PST 2011

Usually, I have the bulk of a theatre review written in my head by intermission.  It's been over 24 hours since I saw DAYBREAK'S CHILDREN at the Balch Street Theatre and I'm still trying to find the words.
First, this is a staged reading of world premiere, written by Akron native John Dayo Aliya.  For that reason alone, I think it should be seen.
Second, this is a debut of Ma'Sue Productions, an African-American based theatre company based in Akron.  For that reason alone, I think it should be seen.
But what is DAYBREAK'S CHILDREN about?  There is a lot going on in this thing.  There are people dealing with addiction, there are people dealing with homosexuality.  There are bad parents; there are good parents.  There is laughter, there is tragedy.  There is reality, there is fantasy.  There is a moment that made me more uncomfortable than I have ever been watching a play (And this is not a bad thing).  There is Reaganomics.
As I said, there is a lot going on.
The cast is wonderful.  The direction by Ma'Sue Productions head India Burton is pretty much perfect.  There were times that I forgot I was watching a staged reading.  The only real criticism I have with this production is I think the book could use one more pass. The ending of Act 1 in particular, while well acted, goes on a little too long.
But this is a minor issue.  The play works on so many levels, and it was written by a local boy.
And it's good.  For that reason alone I think it should be seen.
DAYBREAK'S CHILDREN from Ma'Sur Productions and Heads Up Productions in association with The Center for Applied Theatre and Active Culture is presented at The Balch Street Theatre 220 South Balch Street in Akron.  There are two performances tomorrow at 3 and 8PM.  Tickets are $12 or PAY WHAT YOU CAN  Call 330-990-5138 for details or reservations