[NEohioPAL] Salem Youth Chorus

Jon Simsic jon_simsic at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 09:20:04 PST 2011

Two remaining concerts by the Salem Youth Chorus!

Have You Heard the News?
A Christmas program with the Salem Youth Chorus, Jon Simsic, Music Director.

Works by Gibbons, Holst, Rutter, Todd, Willcocks as well as plainsong, traditional favorites and carol sing-a-longs.

Sat. Dec. 17 at 7:30pm at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 119 Stadium Dr. in Boardman.

Sun. Dec. 18 at 3:00pm at St. Joan of Arc Church, 4940 Tuscarawas St. in Canton.

A freewill offering will be received to benefit the SYC Music Education Fund. For further information about the SYC concerts or organization, please call 330.607.6320.

The Salem Youth Chorus was founded in 2007 in order to provide teens and collegiate young adults in the greater Salem and Youngstown, OH area with the opportunity to sing great choral music as crafted by the compositional masters. Our music program proudly attracts young persons from communities throughout Columbiana and Mahoning counties. The SYC has 501 (c) (3) non for profit status as a charitable, Arts organization.

In addition to our northeastern, OH concerts, the ensemble tours every summer.  As part of our 2008 summer tour, the Salem Youth Chorus sang a concert at Bruton Parish Church in Colonial Williamsburg, VA and then sang Choral Evensong at The Washington National Cathedral in DC. In July of 2009, we traveled to NYC and sang at The Cathedral of St. John the Divine. The SYC was the guest choir in 2010 and 2011 for the annual Boar’s Head and Yule Log Festival at St. John’s Episcopal Church in Youngstown and will return for the 2012 Festival. We have recorded four CD’s, Morning Has Broken; Evening Reflections; A Festival of Lessons and Carols and a new release, Sing a New Song. The ensemble was a prizewinner in the 2010 national music competition, The American Prize. In August of 2010, the SYC traveled to Cathedrals in England, Ireland and Wales for concerts and Choral Evensong. In the summer of 2011, the ensemble performed at Cathedrals in PA, NY and
 Toronto, Canada. The ensemble recently took part in Opera Western Reserve’s performance of Puccini’s Tosca. In the summer of 2012, the ensemble will embark on a much anticipated return to the United Kingdom.