[NEohioPAL] JW Meyers workshop - critique

KatheeAnne transplantncold at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 05:28:02 PST 2012

Hello everyone --

I'd like to start of this email by stating that I am in no way affiliated with Route 40 Productions or JW Meyers but I remember a few messages going around when he had offered a workshop in the latter part of last year.  So I also wanted to give information with regards to the workshop.

First, I can look at this from the stand point of NOT being an actor.  You see, I have a 15 year old son that has been acting for 5 years now.  So I can approach this from that perspective.

It is VERY difficult to find classes that are not "beginner" or challenge a teen.  We do not fit into beginner classes because he has much more experience than most who attend those.  Yet, I struggle with adult classes as the material can be inappropriate for his age or sometimes just material he simply can not relate to (for example, we did an Improv which was about Woodstock...which he promptly said "what's Woodstock?").

My son has attended the recent session of classes that JW Meyers offered.  I was a little apprehensive at first simply because if the classes were too beginner, I would have wasted my money and effort.  To my delight, JW recognized that my son was more advanced than the teen workshop and suggested he take the teen workshop (to be with peers) but also stay for half of the adult workshop to insure he was being challenged enough.

We are almost near the end of our session of classes and I can say that my son has thoroughly enjoyed and been challenged in each class.  A true sign to me that a class is good and helping him is when he is tired after the class (my son is ADHD and does NOT tire easily or quickly).  He has been tired after each class and has experienced some real growth through the approach that JW has taken to insure he receives quality sessions.

I know JW Meyers has done some previous work but is relatively new to this area in the way of arts.  I also know that we all hear enough negative most days.  I felt strongly that I should give a "review" for those in the entertainment field that might be looking to grow their craft.  I hope you found this helpful -- and I hope we will meet some of you at his workshops.  He truly does work with you at the level you are.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me.  As I said earlier, I'm not affiliated in any way; but I do feel when I find something very worthwhile in the industry it should be shared.

Good luck in all your endeavors this year!

Regards,

Kathee Tomlinson