[NEohioPAL] Tickets Now Available for LCCC's Stocker Arts Center Winter/Spring 2012 Film Series

Kimberly Carrasquillo kcarrasq at lorainccc.edu
Mon Jan 23 08:19:21 PST 2012

Tickets Now Available for LCCC's Stocker Arts Center Winter/Spring 2012 Film Series

>From exciting thrillers to inspiring dramas, film lovers will enjoy the excitement and variety of the Stocker Arts Center Winter/Spring 2012 Film Series at Lorain County Community College.

Patrons, except LCCC students/faculty/staff with valid ID, must purchase an annual membership in the LCCC Film Society for $3 each, which is good through the end of the 2011-2012 Film Series. The admission price for each film is $6 with the membership card. In addition to tickets to individual shows, anytime tickets are available for $6 each and may be used at any film from now through the end of the 2012 film series.

The Stocker Arts Center box office is open Mondays through Fridays from 12-6 p.m. and one-and-one-half-hours before ticketed events, including films. For more information, call the box office at (440) 366-4040 or go to www.stockerartscenter.com <http://www.stockerartscenter.com>

The Stocker Arts Center Film Series is truly an alternative cinema, as most of these films have not played in Lorain County and are often not readily available on video. Audiences have the opportunity to sample the gourmet flavor of prize-winning foreign films, and the exciting energy and originality of contemporary independent American and international cinema.

The Stocker Arts Center's Film Series focuses on human relationships, moral and social issues, cultural and religious diversity, and universal human emotions and aspirations, including humor, disappointment and tragedy.

Below is a listing of films in the LCCC Stocker Arts Center Film Society's Winter/Spring 2012 Film Series.

For more information on the Film Series or to be added to the mailing list, please call the Box Office at (440) 366-4040.

2012 Winter/Spring Film Series

UP IN THE AIR
Friday, January 20, 2012 - 7:30 p.m.

2009 (R) 109 min. USA Director: Jason Reitman Cast: George Clooney, Melanie Lynskey, Danny McBride, J. K. Simmons, Vera Farmiga, Anna Kendrick

"Up in the Air" tells the story of Ryan Bingham who makes his living personally handing out pink slips as the top hatchet man at a company that other companies hire when they are downsizing. And since business is booming, his job keeps him on the go constantly. He flies all across the country, staying in a series of nice hotels. Although this itinerant lifestyle prevents him from having a stable life, this doesn't bother him in the slightest - he's thrilled to be a boy in a traveling bubble. During one particular layover, he strikes up a conversation with Alex Goran, a fellow savvy traveler. They bond over the ins and outs of various airlines and hotels, and quickly fall into bed. By morning, they are figuring out when their schedules will allow them to meet up again, even though they both make it clear that there are no strings attached. When Ryan arrives back in the home office, he meets no-nonsense career-oriented twentysomething Natalie Keener, who wants to change the company's practices and save millions by having the staff fire people via webcams. Furious at the thought of losing a lifestyle he's grown quite comfortable with, he convinces his boss to let him take Natalie on a few trips so that she can learn what it's really like to fire someone. "Up in the Air" was a Best Picture Academy Award nominee.

SARAH'S KEY
Friday, January 27 - 7:30 pm

2011 (PG-13)  111 min.  France/subtitles Director: Gilles Paquet-Brenner Cast: Kristin Scott-Thomas, Melusine Mayance, Niels Astrup, Michel Duchaussoy, Aidan Quinn

Julia Jarmond, an American journalist married to a Frenchman, is commissioned to write an article about the notorious Vel d'Hiv round up, which took place in Paris in 1942. She stumbles upon a family secret which will link her forever to the destiny of a young Jewish girl, Sarah. Julia learns that the apartment she and her husband Bertrand plan to move into was acquired by Bertrand's family when its Jewish occupants were dispossessed and deported 60 years before. She resolves to find out what happened to the former occupants: Wladyslaw and Rywka Starzynski, parents of 10-year-old Sarah and 4-year-old Michel. The more Julia discovers, especially about Sarah, the more she uncovers about Bertrand's family, about France and, finally, herself. "Sarah's Key" was the winner of the Audience Award at the Tokyo Film Festival.

THE WOMEN ON THE 6th FLOOR
Friday, February 3 - 7:30 pm

2011 (Not Rated)  106 min.  France/subtitles Director: Philippe Le Guay
Cast: Fabrice Luchini, Natalia Verbeke, Lola Dueñas, Sandrine Kiberlain

In Paris in 1960, Jean-Louis lives a bourgeois existence absorbed in his work, cohabitating peacefully with his neurotic socialite wife, Suzanne, while their children are away at boarding school. The couple's world is turned upside-down when they hire a Spanish maid, Maria. Through Maria, Jean-Louis is introduced to an alternative reality just a few floors up on the building's sixth floor, the servants' quarters. He befriends a group of sassy Spanish maids, refugees of the Franco regime, who teach him there's more to life than stocks and bonds. The women's influence on the house brings change...muy rápido. A marvelously entertaining romantic comedy with a heartfelt political message.

TAKE SHELTER
Friday, February 10 - 7:30 pm

2011 (R)  120 min.  USA Director: Jeff Nichols Cast: Michael Shannon, Jessica Chastain, Tova Stewart, Shea Whigham

A DISCUSSION SESSION WILL FOLLOW THE FILM

Curtis LaForche lives in a small Ohio town with his wife, Samantha, and 6-year-old daughter Hannah, who is deaf. Money is tight, and navigating Hannah's healthcare and special needs education is a constant struggle. Despite that, Curtis and Samantha are very much in love and their family is a happy one. Then Curtis begins having terrifying dreams about an encroaching, apocalyptic storm. He chooses to keep the disturbance to himself, channeling his anxiety into the obsessive building of a storm shelter in their backyard. Faced with the proposition that his disturbing visions signal disaster of one kind or another, Curtis confides in Samantha, testing the power of their bond against the highest possible stakes. Most of the film was shot on location in Lorain County. Timothy Johnson, first assistant director on the film and a former LCCC student, will introduce the movie and answer questions afterwards. Don't miss this special Film Society event.

ORANGES AND SUNSHINE
Friday, February 17 - 7:30 pm

2011 (R)  103 min.  United Kingdom Director: John Loach Cast: Emily Watson, Hugo Weaving, David Wenham, Lorraine Ashbourne

"Oranges and Sunshine" tells the true-life story of Margaret Humphreys, a social worker from Nottingham who uncovered one of the most significant social scandals of recent times; the mass deportation of children from the United Kingdom to Australia. Single-handedly and against overwhelming odds, Margaret reunited thousands of families and drew wordwide attention to an extraordinary miscarriage of justice. Children as young as four had been told that their parents were dead and sent to children's homes on the other side of the world, where many were subjected to appalling abuse. These forgotten children were promised oranges and sunshine but they got hard labor and life in institutions. This is a magnificent new British film that is a testament to the human spirit.

THE WAY
Friday, February 24 - 7:30 pm

2011 (PG-13)  115 min.  USA Director: Emelio Estevez Cast: Martin Sheen, Emilio Estevez, James Nesbitt, Deborah Kara Unger, Yorick Van Wageningen

A DISCUSSION SESSION WILL FOLLOW THE FILM.

Tom, an American doctor, comes to St. Jean Pied de Port, France to collect the remains of his adult son, killed in the Pyrenees in a storm while walking the Comino de Santiago, also known as The Way of Saint James. Rather than return home, Tom decides to embark on the historical pilgrimage to honor his son's desire to finish the journey.  What Tom doesn't plan on is the    profound impact the journey will have on him and his "California Bubble Life." Inexperienced as a trekker, Tom soon discovers that he will not be alone on this journey. On THE WAY, Tom meets other pilgrims from around the world, each with their own issues and looking for greater meaning in their lives: a Dutchman, a Canadian, and an Irish writer who is suffering from a bout of writer's block. From the unexpected and, oftentimes, amusing experiences along THE WAY, this unlikely quartet of misfits creates an everlasting bond and Tom begins to learn what it means to be a citizen of the world again. Through Tom's unresolved relationship with his son, he discovers the difference between "the life we live and the life we choose."

LE HAVRE
Friday, March 16 - 7:30 pm

2011 (Not Rated)  93 min.  France/subtitles Director: Aki Kaurismaki Cast: André Wilms, Kati Outinen, Blondin Migriel, Jean-Pierre Darroussin

In this warmhearted portrait of the French harbor city that gives the film its name, fate throws young African refugee Idrissa into the path of Marcel Marx, a well-spoken bohemian who works as a shoeshiner. With innate optimism and the unwavering support of his community, Marcel stands up to officials doggedly pursuing the boy for deportation. A political fairy tale that exists somewhere between the reality of contemporary France and the warm humor of classic silent cinema, LE HAVRE is a charming, deadpan delight, a comically enchanted movie oasis from the real world where people can rise to the occasion and do the right thing. LE HAVRE offers moviegoers a magical port in the storm, a cinematic refuge from real life where good intentions are enough.

MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
Friday, March 30 - 7:30 pm

2011 (PG-13)  94 min.  USA Director: Woody Allen Cast:  Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Kathy Bates, Carla Bruni

Gil (Owen Wilson) and his fiancée (Rachel McAdams) tag along with her parents to Paris. Gil, a writer obsessed with nostalgia, finds a way to mingle with the artists, singers and writers of Paris in the 1920s. Bouncing between 2011 and the 1920s, Gil must ultimately choose where he belongs.

MONSIEUR LAZHAR
Friday, April 13 - 7:30 pm

2011 (PG - 13)  94 min.  Canada/subtitles Director: Philippe Falardeau Cast: Monhamed Fellag, Danielle Proulx, Sophie Nelisse, Emilien Neron

A DISCUSSION SESSION WILL FOLLOW THE FILM.

There are some sights a child was never meant to see. When a group of Montreal students finds their beloved teacher hanging from the ceiling of their elementary school classroom, the shock of the incident is, needless to say, traumatizing. Her replacement, Algerian refugee Bachir Lazhar, now has the doubly difficult task of reaching his distraught students while securing his own asylum from past tragedies in his homeland. While the class goes through a long healing process, nobody in the school is aware of Bachir's former life, nor that he is at risk of being deported at any moment. The film depicts the encounter between two distant worlds and the power of self-expressions. Writer-director Falardeau tackles these topics with a delicate touch, bringing wit and warmth to the classroom scenes and granting the heavier material an appropriate gravity. It's not often that you see elementary school and global politics sharing a screen, but MONSIEUR LAZHAR makes the fit an entirely natural one, as Bachir and his students come to terms with loss, guilt, and other issues that life has prematurely thrown at them. It's an inspiring character study that earns every one of its heart-warming moments the hard way - through insight, empathy, and eloquence. A visual ode to the power of teaching and human compassion, the film has been selected as the Canadian entry for Best Foreign Language Film at the 84th Academy Awards and it won the Best Canadian Feature Film Award at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival.

A DANGEROUS METHOD
Friday, April 20 - 7:30 pm

2011 (R)  93 min.  USA Director: David Cronenberg Cast: Michael Fassbender, Viggo Mortensen, Keira Knightley, Sarah Gadon

On the eve of World War I, Zurich and Vienna are the settings for a dark tale of sexual and intellectual discovery. Drawn from true-life events, "A Dangerous Method explores the turbulent relationships between fledgling psychiatrist Carl Jung, his mentor Sigmund Freud and Sabina Spielrein, the beautiful but disturbed young woman who comes between them. Sensuality, ambition and deceit set the scene for the pivotal moment when Jung, Freud and Sabina come together and split apart, forever changing the face of modern thought.

Kim Carrasquillo

Writer, Project Coordinator | Marketing and Outreach Initiatives
Lorain County Community College | 1005 N Abbe Road | Elyria, Ohio 44035
t: 440.366.4822  f: 440.366.4113  e : kcarrasq at lorainccc.edu <mailto:kcarrasq at lorainccc.edu>

LCCC website: www.lorainccc.edu <http://www.lorainccc.edu/>