[NEohioPAL] New initiatives, Ice Events, and IV Ladies

Matt Wiederhold Info at mainstreetmedina.com
Fri Jan 27 06:31:42 PST 2012

2012 Medina Ice Festival, February 17-20, 2012

(Medina, Ohio- January 27, 2012) –The ice will be flying around the Historic
Medina Square during President’s Day Weekend as Elegant Ice Creations and
Main Street Medina present the 2012 Ice Festival, featuring the talents of
Olympic Gold Medalist, Aaron Costic, and other carvers from Elegant Ice. In
cooperation with Main Street Medina, Excalibur Auto Body, and Main Street
Café, the 2012 festival will feature an ice carving competition, on-going
demonstrations, and the amazing Fire & Ice Tower. This family-friendly
event, paid for by the generous sponsorships of local businesses, is free to
the public. While most of the carving and demonstrations are done in the
late afternoon and early evening, the sculptures will be illuminated at
night, and on view Friday evening through Monday, weather permitting. Aaron
Costic, Olympic Gold Medallist in Ice Carving and owner of Elegant Ice, will
place color-changing L.E.D. fixtures under each work of art.

The Ice Festival begins on Friday night, February 17th, at 5:00pm with
carving demonstrations by Elegant Ice and Ice Carving Olympic Gold
Medallist, Aaron Costic. Excalibur Auto Body presents the amazing “Fire &
Ice” Tower on the Square at 7 pm, when 20 blocks of ice are stacked into a
tower, and then lit from the inside with a blazing fire. The Festival
continues on Saturday, February 18th with an Individual Ice Carving
Competition sponsored by Main Street Medina from 1-4pm, and winners
announced at 5pm. The event concludes on Monday, February 20th, with the
opportunity to view the works of art created for the competition, and to
explore, dine, shop, and discover all that the Historic District in Medina
has to offer.

Main Street Medina Holds Annual Meeting, Celebrates Another Year of Success

(January 27, 2012- Medina) Over 40 members and supporters of Main Street
Medina gathered in the lobby of the historic FirstMerit Bank on Public
Square for the 2011 Annual MSM Member Meeting on Thursday, January 26th,
2012. The non-profit organization, which focuses on the development and
promotion of the 9-block historic district, started the meeting by sharing
that Main Street Medina has once again achieved State and National
Accreditation with a near-perfect score of 97.

At the Annual Meeting, members voted on several changes to the by-laws, and
the expansion of the board of directors. Those re-elected to the Board
include Debbie Wentz (Whitey’s Army Navy Surplus), and Barbara Dzur (Greater
Medina Chamber of Commerce representative). Newly elected to the Board
include Melissa Fox (ROOT Candles), Tom Borror (Medina Kiwanis/Medina
Community Band), and Keith Williams (Edge Steel/Fundraising Committee
chair.).

Initiatives for 2012 include the ongoing education and outreach on the
importance of supporting locally owned and operated businesses within the
historic district, actively recruiting restaurants and retail to help fill
vacancies in the district, and budgeting for district promotion as a
destination and shopping district in addition to promoting the annual events
on the Square.

“We’re heading into our 5th year in a very positive way,” stated executive
director Matt Wiederhold. “Our three signature events all have lead
sponsors, including FirstMerit and the 6th Chalk Art Festival, Medina
Hospital and the 4th International Fest, and ROOT Candles with the 28th
Candlelight Walk. We’ve expanded our partnerships with other community
organizations, we’re considering adding at least one more event to the
Square, and we’re offering more shopping and dining experiences than ever as
fundraisers. We’re also focused on helping the County secure funding to
continue the restoration of the County Courthouse, and partnering with the
City of Medina to continue the restoration of Old Town Graveyard, and to
investigate an incredible holiday lighting initiative on the Square for the
2012 holidays.”

ORMACO brings Celtic Sounds of Maidens Four to Medina

ORMACO’s (Ohio Regional Music Arts and Cultural Outreach) World Tour of
Music continues as The Maidens Four return to Medina’s DeLorre and Lily Jean
Haddad Broadway Hall Auditorium on February 4, 2012 at 8pm. High action,
pulse peddling Celtic music will ignite the stage as these four sisters
whirl into the Celtic and folk spheres. You are sure to be energized with
this world-class musical experience. Tickets are $18 and are available
online at  <http://www.ormaco.org> www.ormaco.org, at all Medina County
Buehler’s stores, Art 101 Gallery, The Gardener’s Cottage or by calling
330-722-2541. Come into town early to enjoy the contemporary art of Robbie
Kemper at a free gallery reception at Art 101 Gallery at 23 Public Square
from 5-7:30pm and book a special pre-concert dinner at either The Main
Street Café (tel: 330-722-2729) or at Thyme (tel: 330-764-4114). A portion
of the proceeds goes toward programming for minority, disadvantaged and
rural populations.

Matt Wiederhold, executive director

Main Street Medina

5 Public Square

Medina, OH 44256

info at mainstreetmedina.com 330-952-0910

www.mainstreetmedina.com <http://www.mainstreetmedina.com/>  or Main Street
Medina on Facebook

Upcoming events:
Medina Ice Festival
February 17-20, 2012, presented bye Elegant Ice Creations, Main Street
Medina

Enjoy four days of ice fun! Beginning Friday, around 4pm, all sculptures
will be in place for viewing (weather dependent) and then carving activities
and events throughout the weekend. More details to follow.

The mission of Main Street Medina is to lead the effort for preservation,
economic sustainability, and continued evolution of the Historic District as
the heart of the community.