[NEohioPAL] Sharing 'Titanic' tales

Robert Catalano robcat1964 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 29 11:47:39 PST 2012

www.hudsonhubtimes.com

January 29, 2012

by Laura Freeman | Reporter

Hudson -- On April 15, 1912, the Royal Mail Ship RMS Titanic struck an iceberg on its maiden voyage and sank in the Atlantic Ocean, claiming 1,517 lives.

As the 100th anniversary of the disaster approaches, a local speaker, who has researched the historic ship for more than two decades, hopes to stay busy sharing his knowledge of the Titanic.

Rob Catalano, who works full time for Radcom in Hudson, developed an interest in the Titanic in 1990 when he portrayed the highest ranking surviving officer of the tragedy, Charles H. Lightoller, as part of "Titanic: The Exhibition" at the Great Lakes Science Center.

His last performance as Lightoller was in October 2002, and Catalano is working on a screenplay about Lightoller's life.

"I have a uniform and I know his character very well," said Catalano of Cleveland, a former Hudson resident.

"He had a heroic life before and after Titanic. He began sailing when he was 13 years old and had a love affair with the sea."

Catalano has researched many stories about the Titanic, including that fact that the Titanic was one of three sisters ships. The others were the Olympic, which sailed for 25 years, survived a collision in 1910 and was known as "old reliable," and the Britannica, which served as a hospital ship during World War II until it struck a mine in the Aegean Sea and sank.

Catalano is presently reading the biography of Stewardess Violet Jessop, who served on all three ships during each major disaster and survived.

"Her passengers loved her, and she loved being at sea," he said.

At Catalano's presentations, he shares his materials, including books, photographs, a cut-away model of the ship's interior and a model that demonstrates how the ship sank. He also has an artifact reclaimed from the crash site.

Catalano was the museum manager of the Steamship William G. Mather Maritime Museum, now at Dock 32 near the Cleveland Great Lakes Science Center, and deputy director of the Harbor Heritage Society from 2002 to 2005.

"Since 2002, I have continued my interest in learning more about the Titanic, including collecting books and memorabilia," Catalano said.

Recently Catalano was asked to speak after performances of "Titanic: The Musical" at Baldwin-Wallace College.

Catalano has been a classroom facilitator and instructional designer for more than 20 years and is a professional service manager for Radcom Inc.

"I do volunteering in the evenings and weekends," he said. "I love to educate people about this region, history and nature."

Catalano offers his services to anyone who is interested in learning more about the Titanic. His next presentation is April 12 at 7 p.m. at the Middleburg Heights branch of the Cuyahoga County Library. He will share stories about the lesser-known passengers and crew of the RMS Titanic. Presentations last about 45 minutes followed by questions and answers. He normally charges $150 for the presentation.

For more information, contact Catalano at robcat1964 at sbcglobal.net or call 216-741-2046 or 330-650-4777 ext. 227.

Email: lfreeman at recordpub.com
Phone: 330-688-0088 ext. 3150