[NEohioPAL] Fall in Love with Thia and The Phelidae

Shelia Weiss shelia_weiss at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 13 07:39:39 PST 2012

She was still far from her new
home and her beloved brothers.  The whole
time she ran in a staggered pattern, even though she desperately wanted to go
straight home.  Only half of her longed
that they could feel that she needed them.  No, maybe it is better this way so
they don’t get caught up yet again in more destructive trouble I bring.  Maybe this will end it all and they will
finally be free of me.  Then again, he is
only human.  Still…he got me good with
that last one.
>Struggling to turn around and
face her foe, her shoulder and head hit and rested against the rough bark.  She began slowly sliding down as the one in
her leg increased its torment.  Catching
her breath became increasingly difficult as her lower back and ribs blazed from
the spreading poison.  Her forehead also
began to bleed a bit from the force of hitting the tree but that cut closed
shortly after.  Suddenly, like a red hot
ice pick, another one slammed into her front left shoulder.
>Deacon found a clear shot in the
trees once he got closer and made the best of it.  She cried out in agony.  It was becoming too much.  Taking over her thoughts …hurts to breathe…can’t see...  Everything was blurring up and her eyes overflowed with tears.  She blinked hard and tried to stand up
wanting to shake it off and regain control, but it only grew more intense as her
limbs stopped responding.  With her sight
unfocused, a deafening ring in her ears and the rest of her senses dulled, she
could do nothing as the violent icy burn became all she knew.
>He finally caught up keeping his
crossbow fixed on her but staying out of her reach while recalling a lesson he’d
learned his first time out in the field against her kind.  First and foremost, she is a quick, strong
and fierce animal.
>He was pathetically out of breath
from all the running.  She hadn’t yet
reached her normal speed before the arrows hit.  Then they did in fact slow her down.  Deacon remained oblivious thinking he wasn’t doing half bad in keeping
up.
>He positioned himself up against
a large tree across from her.  Then when
he finally found the air and courage to make his demands he managed to spit out,
“Prove you’re Athena!  Do what they say
you can do to try and free yourself!”
he is still new at this.she thought taking in slow deep calculated breaths, his face still a blur.
>“Do it!” he urged impatiently.
>Thia just turned her head and
looked away.  He wanted her to use powers
against him, but she refused.  She
wasn’t about to take orders from him.  She wouldn’t try to speak yet revealing the state she was in.  Instead she let her body language make the “request
denied” statement for her.
>Though not surprised her refusal
ate at him.  He again, took deep breaths,
attempting to slow down his over accelerated breathing and painfully beating
heart.  Then attempting to be more
assertive, he again gave the order, this time failing to deliver the intended condescending
“manly” voice.  What managed to come out
was deeper but still quivering.
>Again she did nothing, her
attention coming and going between his buffoonery and the searing burn.  The toxin actually had a freezing sensation
at first but it was so cold that it actually burned.  But through the almost numbing pain, she was
honestly a little embarrassed for him.  I hope he’s got a backup plan.  What does he think this foul breath shouting
is going to accomplish?
>The lack of progress and reaction
on her part angered him as he indeed had no plan B.  He is closer than he’s ever been before, than anyone one has been before, in winning
his father’s attention and respect from those that have made fun of him for so
long now.  He actually has her captured – this moment is real.  Right here, right now.  But he hasn’t won yet.  He knows he has to come up with
something.  He has to know without a
doubt it is her.  He can’t afford any
more embarrassments.
>He pushed the last incident out
of his mind and returned to what he had to do now to secure his catch.  It has
to be her.  She looks very close to
the old and fuzzy surveillance pictures on the training projector screen at the
base.  And, now that he was so close to
her, he had to admit she was much better looking in person.  The picture had a convenient store, mug shot
quality to it.  He interrupted his own wandering
thought.  Now is your chance, you have her!  The others won’t believe it.  Father won’t believe it!  I’ve
done alone what all of them failed to do.
>Thia noticed the
distraction from his internal struggle and decided it was time do make a bold
move.  They were trained not only in
physical combat but a few psychological tactics as well.  One lesson that came to mind taught, more
times than not the enemy tends to make mistakes when you get them angry
breaking their focus and clouding judgment with emotion.  Nomad’s Lesson #3, Cloud the Enemy with
Emotion and Fear.
>She
cleared her dry throat so she wouldn’t start off sounding raspy or weak, “Alone,
are we?  Too afraid to fail in front of
your small army again?”
>He looked at her
confused, she kept going.  “Say, have you
been working out since last time I saw you?  Wait, no.  It hasn’t been long enough
I don’t think.  I mean to gain that level
of mass in such a short period of time…uh oh, you haven’t resorted to…” she
sniffed the air slowly and accusingly in his direction.  “Steroids, really?”
>She made this
part up as she could not recall ever actually seeing him during any of the
attacks but heard he was there for a few of them.  She also got an idea from some of the stories
that got around, how he is viewed as nothing more than a spoiled skinny screw
up and treated poorly for it.
>She shook her
head in a mockingly sympathetic way, “Daddy still not paying any precious
attention to you?  What a shame.”
>Her venomous jabs
worked.  He got mad, very mad in
fact.  It was the father comment that
struck a nerve just as she was sure it would with him.
>Unsure why but
able to gain some of her focus back, she was not only looking at him but he was
sure she was peering right through him.  This made him nervous.  Just
moments ago he was excited he had her, then she was kind of attractive, then
she angered him and now she frightened him.
>He quickly broke
away from her upsetting gaze and searched around trying to think of what to do.  He was so turned around he didn’t know what
to do.  Then it came to him.  Now, he was going to get what he wanted for
sure.
>He rushed upon
her, just as she secretly wanted him to, getting him within reach. He quickly reached
up, careful not to look her in the eyes for fear of losing his nerve, wrapped
his pale long fingers around the shiny cool arrow still lodged in her left
shoulder, tightened his grip and ever so slowly twisted.
>Thia wide eyed
now witnessing what he was doing, at first shocked that he mustered up the courage,
clinched down hard on her teeth to deal with the all new heights of pain.  While doing her best to maintain control, she
felt a trickle of something thick and warm fall from her nose.  The stress and pressure caused it to bleed, fighting
the overwhelming urge to change and annihilate him.
>“It is the
Phelidae way.  We, only if absolutely necessary, match force, never
over powering those inferior to us.” She played over and over in her mind like
a broken record.
>Beneath her locked jaw scream and
bloody nose, her crunched closed eyes began to change.  This mere human boy, barely worth calling
enemy if it weren’t for his new toy, had no idea what was creeping up inside
her preparing to strike.  The stories and
lessons he half paid attention to while daydreaming of his own all-star moment
were just small fragments of the impending reality.  As self preservation attempted to impose a
new leader, the beast, she managed to open her eyes, barely a slit.
>It was enough for him to get a
perpetual rush of adrenaline from what he caught a glimpse of.  Her eyes drastically morphed from the normal
human grey to something else, something not human.  Now, they took on a piercing crystal
blue.  But strangely enough that wasn’t
the heart stopping part.  He never
imagined it possible or heard it mentioned before that the pupil itself had
gone from like his, to a sharp and courage swallowing abyss of a deep black and
wide slit.  He had heard literally
hundreds of stories about these creatures but now it is all here, up close and
horribly real.
>“You are Athena.” he whispered in pure fright.  “I knew I recognized you.  You were right there in the middle when we
broke up that last tribe.”
>His
words hit her like a ton of bricks.  She
too remembered something of this memory.  Everything in her mind was gone now, only blackness existed.  She was forcefully thrown back to that time; the
time she lost her mother as she held her in her arms helplessly watching the
life fade from her eyes.  As she slowly
looked up blinking the tears away, her vision clearing, she realized his face was there.  He was the one that fired the fatal shot.
>An invigorating shadow took over
her.  The beast arrived.