[NEohioPAL] Theatre Classes for kids: Akron

Melanie YC Pepe mycp at weathervaneplayhouse.com
Wed Feb 15 12:10:17 PST 2012

Weathervane Playhouse
www.weathervaneplayhouse.com
1301 Weathervane Lane  *  Akron, Ohio  44313

Classes start February 25th!
** CLICK HERE to view bios for our instructors! **
Classes run for 10 weeks.

Imagine THAT!  The Wild West
Saturdays, 9:15 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Ages 3 to 5
Yee Haw! Imagine riding a horse and panning for gold. Imagine tumbleweed and rattlesnakes. Imagine THAT, imagine anything! This class specializes in storytelling through creative movement, improvisation, dramatic play and music. Students will also be actively engaged in creating designs for the stories they bring to the stage. We will have a ton of fun while traveling wherever imaginations are willing to go!

Introduction to Theater & Acting: Places, Please!
Ages 5 to 8
Saturdays, 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
The show is about to start. Places Please! Is that a monkey I hear chattering at a little old lady? Wait; its a Martian from another planet explaining how to work a toaster! .and what is Little Red Riding Hood doing arm in arm with a Ninja? It's just students exploring the creative world of theater! This class specializes in exploring characters through dramatic play and script study. This introductory class is a great place to learn the basics of performing on the stage.

Introduction to Theater & Acting: Star Struck
Ages 8 to 11
Saturdays, 9:15 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
Is your child sure that they are the next iCarly? Have you heard every funny story the Disney Channel can dream up? Don't fret.send them to be Star Struck on the stage at Weathervane! We will gladly take all the drama. Your child will work with our instructor to hone their dramatic talents. They will learn how to give and take focus, analyze a script to identify story structure elements and character objectives and use it all to tell a clear story; beginning middle and end!

Introduction to Theater & Acting: Enter Stage Right
Ages 11 to 14
Saturdays, 10:15 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
To be or not to be, here is the question. Are you ready to tackle comedy and tragedy? Take a turn as Hamlet's ghost or poor tormented Juliet. Try your hand at "Who's on First?" Can you build the laughs like Abbott and Costello? Get ready to Enter Stage Right and learn to take "dramatic" risks within each scene by working with a character's inner monologue. These methods for developing and connecting to a stage character makes the funny funnier and drama even more dramatic!

Musical Theater, Act One
Ages 5 to 8
Saturdays, 9:15 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
Gotta sing, gotta dance? Gotta take Musical Theater! Our Musical Theater: Act One class takes our entire core curriculum and puts it to music. Sing and dance your way through some Broadway standards. Move over Kristin Chenoweth and Matthew Morrison. here comes the next Broadway star! Students will work on musical theater skills through group singing, creative and choreographed movement, rhythm notation, and sight reading with solefege.

Musical Theater, Act Two
Ages 8 to 12
Saturdays, 10:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
Not quite ready to pack it up and move to New York? Looking for a toe tapping good time? Come sing at Weathervane in Musical Theater: Act Two. This class covers the objectives in Act One, and challenges experienced students through more complex choreography and music theory. In addition to Act One goals, students will work on solo singing, notes on the treble clef, notes on a keyboard, rhythmic performance and healthy singing technique.

It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Improv!
Ages 9 to 14
Saturdays, 12:00 noon - 1:00 p.m.
You're in the desert in the middle of the day and a talking snake reciting poetry, no wait! You're on an airplane full of wild monkeys!  You're standing on a floor made of Jell-O! and Actors GO! Improvisation coaches students to think on their feet, and create a clear story out of random elements. Students will also learn important life skills such as listening, focusing, thinking outside of the box, socialization skills and problem solving within a group of peers.  Through learning the rules of improvisation, students will develop teamwork skills in a non competitive environment and learn the value in being prepared.  Improvisation exercises help actors develop self confidence and trust their intuition, valuable skills in all walks of life!

STOMP!
Ages 7 to 16
Saturdays, 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Students will utilize their creativity and build performance skills as the stage comes alive and everyday items become musical instruments. STOMP! builds skills in timing, rhythm, tempo and math through physical and musical activities. STOMP! will use the style of New York's Broadway Musicals to add a new flair. Students will work together as an ensemble to create a musical masterpiece to be presented on the last day of class.

Performance Workshop, 101 Dalmations
Ages 8 to 15
Saturdays, 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
You've learned your stage directions and worked on projection. You know where the House is and why we call upstage "up" and downstage "down." Now it is time to raise the curtain and light the lights on this brand new performance workshop! This class is intended for students with previous class or stage experience. Students will learn about the rehearsal process and how to apply skills from other performance classes in a theatrical rehearsal. Students will help create their own costumes and set pieces, learn rehearsal process, working as an ensemble, active listening, giving and taking focus, the use of improvisation in rehearsal, character analysis, blocking notation, time management skills, memorization techniques, performance techniques and the roles of the Director, Stage Manager and Actors. Get ready to throw the roses as our actors put on a show.

For more information or to register,
click here: http://www.weathervaneplayhouse.com
or call 330-836-2626.