[NEohioPAL] The King and I Opens at Heights Youth Theatre on March 2

Pamela Fine olydia78 at ameritech.net
Thu Mar 1 20:30:44 PST 2012

Heights Youth Theatre

presents

The King and I

directed by treva offutt

Dream a dream of a time past. It is the 1860’s, and you are in the exotic kingdom of Thailand. Imagine that you are the ruler of this kingdom. Filled with golden palaces, elephants in the streets, and
children, children, children everywhere, you have been safe and happy in your own little corner of the world, yet the world begins to creep in on you. What wonders will you discover? How do you know if the rules of the kingdom are correct if you are the one making them up? Based on an incredible, true story, The King of Siam recognizes that the world outside of his realm is changing. He takes pride in his kingdom and family, and hires a teacher from England that will bring them all up to speed on world thought and culture. Now, imagine that you are a young mother from England. You and your son are entering a place that is unimaginable. The King has 37 wives and over 400 children! Do you speak your mind, or only say what is expected of you? Has the king met his match in the spirited, strong woman,
or she in him? Should he keep his customs, or adopt ways that would throw his world out of balance. How much power should a woman have? How about a man? Where do love and respect meet? Can you love someone that you disagree with? What are you willing to do for love if it is forbidden? It’s a puzzlement! Come experience the vibrant colors, dazzling dance, star-crossed lovers, political puppetry and endlessly exciting et cetera, et cetera, et cetera’s of The King and I. Shall We Dance? YES WE SHALL!!!

Friday, March 2, 9 & 16, 7 PM
Saturday March 3, 10 & 17, 2 PM
Sunday, March 11, 2 PM

all performances at

Wiley Middle School - Auditorium
2181 Miramar Boulevard
University Heights, Ohio 44118

Tickets: $9 General Admission / Children under 6 and seniors $8
cash or check only

Box office will open 45 minutes prior to each performance

www.heightsyouththeatre.org

Heights Youth Theatre programming is made possible by the generous support of the residents of
Cuyahoga County through Cuyahoga Arts and Culture, the Eaton Charitable Fund,
 the Ohio Arts Council and the William J. and Dorothy K. O'Neill Foundation.