[NEohioPAL] moderator's role as "gatekeeper, " civility and respect on Neohiopal, AND addendum to decision about discontinuation of the Mayfield audition discussion

Fred Sternfeld fredsternfeld at neohiopal.org
Sat Mar 17 08:00:15 PDT 2012

Hi Everybody,

Once again, I apologize that a lack of civility and respect was allowed to
be posted on Neohiopal yesterday.

OUR ROLE AS GATEKEEPERS
What constitutes free speech and what crosses the line?  For 12 years Noah
Budin and I have tried to avoid putting ourselves in the position of being
judge, jury and censors. That is reflected in the email I sent out last
night where I talked about how difficult it is to balance "free speech" and
"censorship." But after more thought and discussion this morning it is time
to amend that statement.  We realize now that we need to be the gatekeeper
so it is time to take a stand. With that in mind, legitimate constructive
criticism that promotes discussion will continue to be allowed on
Neohiopal. Baseless, rude, sexist, ridiculous attacks will not.  Figuring
out which is which will be our task. We may not always get it right, but
we'll do our best.

The only caveat is that we rarely see the whole message when we receive a
posting request to the queue. We only see the first few lines of the
message in html format.  Something may slip out that we didn't know was in
the message.

NO MORE DISCUSSION OF MILLER'S COMMENTS
The discussion about Michael Miller's inappropriate attacks on Amiee
Collier, Scott Spence and the Beck have run their course with many replies
countering Mr. Miller's statements. So there is no need for additional
comments on that.

YOU CAN CONTINUE DISCUSSION OF AUDITION ETIQUETTE
But if people want to continue to discuss how auditions are run, they are
welcome to do so. Please keep it constructive.  And start a new message
with a new subject line so that we don't have to view all the old messages
with the vitriol again.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Warm Regards,

--