[NEohioPAL] Lesson from a 10 year old

Vickie Jackson vickiejackson at howardhanna.com
Sun Mar 18 12:38:34 PDT 2012

I joined this list to find auditions and local plays for my daughter.  She has been in almost 10 plays and auditioned for over 12.  She has also auditioned twice for a talent show and made it once and was declined the second time. Everytime she auditions we explain to her how many people are auditioning and how many spots are available.   The first time she didn't make it into a play I thought she was going to be devastated, instead she looked at me and told me  "I'll just try again next time.  I just wasn't right for the part."  She continues to have this attitude and I think she will as she continues in the future.  People sometimes have to put themselves in the place of a director.  It is there vision and if you are not what they have in mind, then that's life.   Also, sometimes if a friend or former cast member is cast again, it could mean that it was between them and an unknown and the director knows from experience what the friend or former cast member can do during rehearsals (shows up on time, volunteers to help).
When my daughter is not cast in a play she still volunteers to help with either sets or costuming.  She does not do so to win points, she just wants to be a part of the production.  She also can't wait to go see the play to cheer on her friends and fellow actors as they perform on stage.   I don't think she has developed a "thick skin"  I think she just has a positive attitude and accepts the fact that there are a lot of actors with only a few roles.   I hope with all my heart she continues this practice of support and acceptance.

This is just my humble opinion on the matter.