[NEohioPAL] The Beck Center for the Arts Announces 2012/2013 Youth Theater Season

Jonathan Kronenberger jkronenberger at beckcenter.org
Fri Apr 6 12:05:49 PDT 2012

The Beck Center for the Arts is proud to announce its 2012/2013 Youth Theater season featuring both classic and contemporary plays including a Pulitzer Prize Winner, Two Tony Award Winners and a World Premiere:

"This season is definitely about community," says Jonathan Kronenberger, associate director of Theater Education.  "The Beck Center wouldn't exist if not for the incredibly strong community of support around us. Each of these plays, in their own unique way, examines communities and the importance of contributing to each other and committing to our lives together. They remind us that - like it or not - we are all connected."

Tickets: $12 Adult/Senior and $10 Children/Student (18 & Under). Call for group rates or to schedule your student matinee.

Individual tickets go on sale August 1, 2012 ~ excluding Going Medieval: A Ye Olde Comedie (call for details). Reserve tickets at www.beckcenter.org or call 216.521.2540 x10.

SHOW #1: MACKEY MAIN STAGE

Our Town
By Thornton Wilder
Directed by Jonathan Kronenberger

Student Matinee: Thursday, November 1, 2012 at 10:00 a.m.
Friday, November 2, 2012 at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, November 3, 2012 at 3:00 p.m.
Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 3:00 p.m.

Described by Edward Albee as "...the greatest American play ever written," the story follows the small town of Grover's Corners through three acts: "Daily Life," "Love and Marriage," and "Death and Eternity." Narrated by a stage manager and performed with minimal props and sets, audiences follow the Webb and Gibbs families as their children fall in love, marry, and eventually-in one of the most famous scenes in American theatre-die. Our Town reminds us to recognize that life is both precious and ordinary, and that these two fundamental truths are intimately connected.

Auditions are September 15 & 16, 2012
Auditions are open to all Beck Center students ages 6 - 19.

SHOW #2: STUDIO THEATER

Going Medieval: A Ye Olde Comedie
Written and Directed by Rachel Spence

Fridays, December 8 & 15, 2012 at 7:30 p.m.
Saturdays, December 9 & 16, 2012 at 3:00 p.m.
Sundays, December 10 & 17, 2012 at 3:00 p.m.

Dragons and wizards onstage? Surely, you joust! Armed with only a role-player's handbook and multi-sided dice, three modern day fantasy geeks are magically transported and forced to save the kingdom of Nerdvana. From the beloved author of past seasons All Greek To Me and Once Upon a Decade, you'll laugh along with this original fantasy spoof performed by Beck Center's talented youth. Huzzah-Ha-Ha!

Auditions October 20 & 21, 2012
Auditions are open to all Beck Center students ages 6 - 12.

SHOW #3: MACKEY MAIN STAGE

Avenue Q - School Edition
Music and Lyrics by  Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx
Book by  Jeff Whitty
Directed by Jonathan Kronenberger

Fridays, February 8 & 15, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
Saturdays, February 9 & 16, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, February 10 & 17, 2013 at 3:00 p.m.
Student Matinee: February 14, 2013 at 10:00 a.m.

Winner of the Tony "Triple Crown" for Best Musical, Best Score and Best Book, Avenue<http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000321> Q is part flesh, part felt and packed with heart. Avenue Q - School Edition is a laugh-out-loud musical that tells the timeless story of a recent college grad named Princeton who moves into a shabby New York apartment all the way out on Avenue Q. He soon discovers that although the residents seem nice, it's clear that this is not your ordinary neighborhood. Together, Princeton and his new-found friends struggle to find jobs, dates, and their ever-elusive purpose in life.

Auditions are November 11 & 12, 2012
Auditions are open to all Beck Center students ages 12 - 19.

SHOW #4: MACKEY MAIN STAGE

Bye Bye Birdie
Book by Michael Stewart
Music by Charles Strouse
Lyrics by Lee Adams
Directed by Russ Stich
Musical Director: Angela Bruzina

Fridays, May 10 & 17, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.
Saturdays, May 11 & 18, 2013 at 3:00 p.m.
Sundays, May 12 & 19, 2013 at 3:00 pm
Student Matinee: Thursday, May 16, 2013 at 10:00 a.m.

Winner of four Tony Awards, including Best Musical, Bye Bye Birdie is one of the most captivating musical shows of our time. It tells the story of Conrad Birdie, an Elvis-inspired rock and roll singer who is about to be inducted into the army, but not before one last publicity stunt that sends his fans going wild and upends the town of Sweet Apple, Ohio!  A satire done with the fondest affection, Bye Bye Birdie gives insight into the everyday life that is very much part of us all. With a top score by Charles Strouse, Tony Award Winning composer of Annie, the show features such musical theatre classics as Put on a Happy Face, One Boy, A Lot of Livin' to Do and Kids!  Birdie is the height in imagination and good old fashion fun.

Auditions will be February 23 & 24, 2013.
Auditions are open to all Beck Center students ages 6 - 19.

Beck Center for the Arts is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization that offers professional theater productions on two stages, arts education programming, and gallery exhibits featuring regional artists.

We rely on the generosity of donors to keep our theater tickets affordable and to provide financial aid to our students. You can help us bring the arts to our community by making a secure donation today through our website at www.beckcenter.org

###