[NEohioPAL] Kent State University Students Need Your Help!

blank blank johnylip123 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 08:58:56 PDT 2012

Dear Fellow NEohioPAL Members,

While I am aware that we mostly use this listserv to promote auditions and
events within the performing arts, I wanted to raise awareness throughout
our community regarding an issue at my university. My name is William John
Liptak II and I am a sophomore B.F.A. Musical Theater major at Kent State
University. I am an actor who uses this precious resource of NEohioPAL
everyday. Kent State University is attempting to put a new policy in place
that would charge students who take over 17 credit hours an additional $440
per credit hour not class. This fee of $440 doubles to $880 for those
students who are out of state. While to some this can be seen as a
necessary form of evolution for a large school such as Kent; the university
only notified students in the honors college and those who are out of
state. That previously mentioned group only entails 15-20% of the student
population. Kent State University was not planning on notifying the 80% of
students who attend the second largest school in the state of Ohio. Besides
the obvious need to spread the word around the area, I have posted on here
because the next generations of actors,singers,dancers,artists,musicians in
northeast Ohio need your help. There is no way that students in the
performing or visual arts can graduate on time without paying for these new
fees. Had this policy been implemented during a time of great economic
prosperity I doubt this would be such an issue but, clearly that isn't the
case. I am personally asking all of you to take time and consider what I
have said in this message. We performers stand on the shoulders of giants
and we need your help to be sure that we can stand with a significantly
less amount of student debt when we are there for the next generation. This
"movement" for lack of a better term has yielded an online petition that
has received 2,256 signatures in the past three days. I am asking each of
you to please be another signature on our petition and to help support us.
I have attached a link to the petition and to our Facebook page where you
can read our full petition and help support the movement.

I thank you for your time and consideration.

William John Liptak II
wliptak.kent.petition at gmail.com

http://www.change.org/petitions/president-of-kent-state-university-take-away-the-extra-charge-for-taking-17-or-more-credit-hours-at-ksu

https://www.facebook.com/events/281837051895328/