[NEohioPAL] Movie Producer to talk about Career - May 2nd - Chagrin Falls

Sharon sharonschnall at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 13:02:15 PDT 2012

Tyler Davidson will discuss his 14-year roller coaster ride in the independent film business. He plans to share experiences and show clips from all of his films. The movie producer will not merely focus on recent successes, but also on early career challenges that he expects many people will relate to.

“No doubt I’ll start my talk with an explanation of what a movie producer actually does,” said Davidson, a South Russell Village resident. “Most people know the title but have little understanding of the job description.”

On May 2nd, Davidson will be the featured artist in this year’s “Hear Who’s Here” speaker series. The three-part series is being held at the River St. Playhouse, 56 River Street; part of the Chagrin Valley Little Theatre’s (CVLT) campus in Chagrin Falls Village.
For tickets: Contact the CVLT box office at (440) 247-8955, 40 River St. Chagrin Falls, OH 44022-3024, www.cvlt.org
In its second year, “Hear Who’s Here” celebrates the artistry and accomplishments of talented Chagrin Valley residents and the public recognition, from local to international, bestowed upon them.
Each speaking engagement is offered at 7:00 p.m., the first Wednesday of each month. The series started in April, featuring painters Charles ‘Bud’ Deihl and Mary Hobbs; Davidson appears on May 2nd; young adult fantasy author Cinda Williams Chima closes the series on June 6th.
Since its inception, event organizers have targeted and welcomed speaker recommendations for both the upcoming season and future seasons. A starting point for speaker recruitment is an accomplishment-filled career in the arts by a Chagrin Valley resident.
“The series is looking to discover and highlight local talent, people that are working in the arts right here in the Chagrin Valley,” said “Hear Who’s Here” organizer Sandra Philipson. Philipson is the author of the “Max and Annie” children’s book series, and is a Chagrin Falls Village resident.
“These people may be well-known in their fields but unknown to their neighbors. There is a treasure trove of talent in the valley, and we are busy discovering it and bringing folks to light in their own community.”
And with those sought-after qualities, Davidson is proving to be an excellent speaker candidate.
“I’ve previously spoken about myself and about my projects,” he said, “but I think this presentation will offer a unique and intimate platform for me to go far beyond sound bites and share my perspective of the film industry much more anecdotally.”

Davidson is the co-founder and president of Low Spark Films, and an award-winning film producer who, in 2011, was named one of Variety magazine’s “10 Producers to Watch.” His new film Compliance, written and directed by Craig Zobel, premiered at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival and will be released by Magnolia Pictures this year. The film stars Ann Dowd (Marley & Me, Garden State) and Dreama Walker, star of ABC’s new television sitcom, Don’t Trust the B--- in Apartment 23.
Davidson previously produced Take Shelter, which was filmed entirely in Northeast Ohio locations including Elyria, Grafton and Chardon. The 2011 movie, released by Sony Pictures Classics, starred Academy Award nominees Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain. One of the most acclaimed films of the year, Take Shelter premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, won the Critics’ Week Grand Prix at the Cannes Film Festival, and was named one of the Top 10 Independent Films of the Year by The National Board of Review of Motion Pictures.
Davidson’s other producing credit includes: The Year That Trembled, which was filmed on location in Hiram and Garrettsville, and for which he received the Midwest Independent Filmmaker of the Year Award at the 2002 Cleveland International Film Festival
Davidson is looking forward to his turn on the “Hear Who’s Here” stage. He expects that each person in the audience will take away something different from the evening: those eager to be part of the movie business may uncover a few first-hand pearls of wisdom and a bit of inspiration; and movie fans may simply enjoy the behind-the-scenes perspective of an experienced filmmaker.
“I like the concept of this series: it gives people an inside look at pursuits they may have previously deemed distant or inaccessible – straight from the mouths of their own neighbors, no less,” Davidson said.
With the exception of a few elementary school years in nearby Aurora, the 1993 Chagrin Falls High School graduate grew up and lived in Chagrin Falls through high school. He attended the University of Virginia, earning a B.A. in English in 1997. Other interim residences included five years, while in his late twenties, in Los Angeles.
Since 2006, he and his wife Lyon, now with two sons, have been Chagrin Valley residents.
Davidson’s life will make for an engaging and entertaining speaking event. A meet-and-greet session, following each “Hear Who’s Here” talk, will include complimentary refreshments.
All ticket proceeds will be donated to the Chagrin Valley Little Theatre.
For tickets: Contact the CVLT box office at (440) 247-8955, 40 River St. Chagrin Falls, OH 44022-3024, www.cvlt.org
# # #