[NEohioPAL] "Gin Game", "The Mikado", and filmmaker Tyler Davidson - May News from CVLT

Chagrin Valley Little Theatre cvlt at cvlt.org
Tue May 1 11:53:17 PDT 2012

Trouble viewing this email? See it on the web at
http://www.cvlt.org/monthlymail.htm <http://www.cvlt.org/monthlymail.htm>

  _CHAGRIN VALLEY LITTLE THEATRE
  May 2012 News _

www.CVLT.org <http://www.CVLT.org> . 440-247-8955
40 River Street, Chagrin Falls OH 44022

Facebook.com/ChagrinTheatre <http://facebook.com/ChagrinTheatre>
Twitter.com/ChagrinTheatre <http://twitter.com/ChagrinTheatre>

  * *Happening in May...*
      o *May 2:* */HEAR WHO'S HERE/:* Tyler Davidson
        <http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/hwh-davidson.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>
      o *May 4 - 5:* /*THE GIN GAME*/
        <http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/gingame.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>
      o *May 11-12:* */THE MIKADO/* - Chagrin Falls Studio Orchestra
        with Opera per Tutti
        <http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/cfso-mikado.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>

  * *Open Auditions...* See http://www.cvlt.org/auditions
    <http://www.cvlt.org/auditions.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>

      o We are seeking African-American teens for Hairspray! For
        details, email cvlt at cvlt.org
        <mailto:cvlt at cvlt.org?subject=Hairspray>.

  * *Coming in June...*
      o *June 1 - 23:* */A NIGHT IN PROVENCE/*
        <http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/anightinprovence.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>
      o *June 1:* CVLT Womens' Committee Salad Buffet
        <http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/saladluncheon.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>
      o *June 6:* */HEAR WHO'S HERE/:* Cinda Williams Chima
        <http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/hwh-chima.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>
      o *June 11:* /Summer Youth Theater program begins./
        <http://www.cvlt.org/youth/index.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>
      o *June 29 - July 14:* */A STEADY RAIN/*
        <http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/steadyrain.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>

      *CVLT is heading boldly into the summer...*

April was cool in the literal and figurative senses, with the very cool
musical /THE DROWSY CHAPERONE/ bringing toe-tapping fun to our stage,
and the very cool Charles "Bud" Deihl & Mary Hobbs kicking off the
second year of the */HEAR WHO'S HERE
<http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/hwh-davidson.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>/*
series.

This month, spouses/actorsSteve and Linda Ryan wrap up their amazing
performance of D.L. Coburn's /*THE GIN GAME*
<http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/gingame.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>/
on our River Street Playhouse stage, and Steve Eva brings the Chagrin
Falls Studio Orchestra back to our stage for a performance of Gilbert &
Sullivan's operetta */THE MIKADO
<http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/cfso-mikado.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>/*//.

Our summer productions are on the horizon, and our 83rd Season is soon
to be announced, so please keep your eyes on your inbox, and be sure to
join up on our Facebook <http://facebook.com/ChagrinTheatre> page or
Twitter <http://twitter.com/ChagrinTheatre>.

See you soon,
/Your Friends at CVLT/

    */The Gin Game
    <http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/gingame.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>/*

*May 4 & 5, 2012
Friday & Saturday night at 8 PM*

A play by D. L. Coburn

*TICKETS: *$10 all tickets
(Not recommended for children.)

*Buy tickets online at http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/gingame.php
<http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/gingame.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>

or call 440-247-8955*

Directed by Eric Oswald

"The Ryans, a married couple in real life, bring a welcome familiarity
to the relationship of the two card-playing hobbyists. Mrs. Ryan plays
Fonsia as charming, yet controlling and at the same time, repressed. Mr.
Ryan plays Weller Martin as a man whose certainty and superiority causes
him to push others to the breaking point.

Director Eric Oswald has brought two capable actors to a script bubbling
with tension, that finally explodes in a torrent of misdirected anger.
The build in "The Gin Game" is done well, and we see the characters on
their best behavior, and then see them backslide to their absolute worst."

-- Marjorie Preston, Sun News
<http://www.cleveland.com/sun/all/index.ssf/2012/04/river_street_playhouses_the_gi.html>

D.L. Coburn's Pulitzer prize winning /THE GIN GAME/ is about a woman in
her twilight years, Fonsia Dorsey (Linda Ryan), who enters a "home for
the aged" and is for a while saved from melancholy by the crusty charm
of Weller Martin (Steve Ryan).

The sardonic Weller cajoles Fonsia into playing a series of games of Gin
on the home's sunlit porch. As they seemingly become close companions,
much is revealed about their respective regret-filled lives -- to the
steady shuffling and playing of cards. Their mutual need for solace is
momentarily satisfied, until Weller's pent-up rage, and Fonsia's subtle
needling, build to a terrible confrontation.

    */The Mikado
    <http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/cfso-mikado.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>/*

*May 11 - May 12, 2012
Friday & Saturday nights at 8 PM*

Chagrin Falls Studio Orchestra
featuring Opera per Tutti <http://www.operapertutti.org>
and the Western Reserve Chorale <http://www.westernreservechorale.org>

*TICKETS: *$30 adults, $15 students with ID

*Buy tickets online at http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/cfso-mikado.php
<http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/cfso-mikado.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>

or call 440-247-8955*

Music Director Steve Eva and the Chagrin Studio Orchestra bring you a
collaboration with Opera per Tutti <http://www.operapertutti.org>
(directed by Scott Skiba) and the Western Reserve Chorale
<http://www.westernreservechorale.org> (directed by David Gilson) - two
of Cleveland's finest Performing Arts organizations.

/The Mikado/ is heralded as "the best of Gilbert and Sullivan" and
epitomizes the British tongue in cheek humor still prevalent today with
the likes of Monty Python, Benny Hill and Rowan Atkinson. "The Mikado"
is an Operetta...a cross-over between opera and what we know today as
Musical Theater. It features professionally trained voices and chorus
but is interspersed with dialogue more typical of musical theater. The
plot of the show is a silly parody on Japanese culture about a Lord High
Executioner who is just too nice a guy for the job. The story twists and
turns and, in the end, nobody loses their head...everything you would
expect from Gilbert and Sullivan.

This presentation will be "In Concert", lightly costumed with the full
orchestra and chorus on stage. Much of the dialogue is cut and the music
itself will carry the audience through the story in one Act without
Intermission and will end in time for you to still enjoy the night life
of Chagrin Falls after the show.

    */Hear Who's Here:
    Tyler Davidson
    <http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/hwh-davidson.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>/*

*May 2, 2012
Wednesday night at 7 PM*

*TICKETS: *$12 per ticket
(buy all three speakers for $6 off!))

*Buy tickets online at http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/hwh-davidson.php
<http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/hwh-davidson.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>

or call 440-247-8955*

The "Hear Who's Here" series will showcase the journeys and favorite
career highlights of Chagrin Falls area professionals. These fascinating
talks take place on the first Wednesday of each month at 7 PM.

This year's series includes the painters Charles "Bud" Deihl and Mary
Hobbs on April 4th, independent filmmaker (producer of /Take Shelter/)
Tyler Davidson on May 2nd, and author Cinda Williams Chima on June 6th.

*Tyler Davidson* is the co-founder and president of Low Spark Films, and
an award-winning film producer who, in 2011, was named one of Variety
magazine's "10 Producers to Watch." His acclaimed new film Compliance,
written and directed by Craig Zobel, premiered at the 2012 Sundance Film
Festival and will be released by Magnolia Pictures this year. Davidson
previously produced /Take Shelter/, written and directed by Jeff
Nichols, and starring Academy Award Nominees Michael Shannon and Jessica
Chastain. /Take Shelter/ premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival,
and won the 50th Critics' Week Grand Prix at the 2011 Cannes Film
Festival. The Sony Pictures Classics release was also nominated for an
industry-leading five Film Independent Spirit Awards including Best
Picture (2011) and named one of the Top 10 Independent Films of the Year
(2011) by The National Board of Review of Motion Pictures.

    Still to come in our 82nd Season...
    <http://www.cvlt.org/82ndSeason/index.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>

*MAIN STAGE PLAYS & MUSICALS:*
A Night in Provence (June 1 - 23, 2012)
Hairspray (July 20 - August 18, 2012)

*RIVER STREET PLAYHOUSE:*
A Steady Rain (June 29 - July 14, 2012)
Belles: A play in two acts and thirty-nine phone calls (August 10 - 25,
2012)

*SPECIAL EVENTS:*
Hear Who's Here: Cinda Williams Chima, author (June 6, 2012)

*GET YOUR BRICK!*

Starting at just $75, you can get your own custom engraved brick paver
in our front entrance sidewalk!

A unique way to commemorate a special occasion or honor that person on
your gift list who's hard to shop for!

We're taking orders now for bricks to install when the weather turns
warm again, so visit http://www.cvlt.org/bricks
<http://www.cvlt.org/bricks/index.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=may2012>
to order yours today!

*CVLT.org . 440-247-8955
40 River Street, Chagrin Falls OH 44022*

Chagrin Valley Little Theatre is generously funded by Cuyahoga County
residents through Cuyahoga Arts and Culture. The Ohio Arts Council helps
fund our organization with state tax dollars to encourage economic
growth, educational excellence and cultural enrichment for all Ohioans.