[NEohioPAL] Hellcab Unfortunate etc. etc. etc.

Mark . markrmayo at gmail.com
Fri May 4 00:23:53 PDT 2012

There are 2 sides 2 every story. i'm sure u'll hear others. But i thought i
would take a moment (if any1 cares) 2 give MY side . i don't want 2 get
overly explainitory with the following statements. It would take up way 2
much space on this post. i'll just try my best 2 give a BRIEF explaination
(although i may fail) then close with a personal statement. A situation
that i feel had the possibility 2 become a bit of a safety issue came true
on Thu. May 3rd's rehearsal of Hellcab. It was explained at Wed. May 2nd's
rehearsal 2 the director & a few crew folks that the extreme heat in the
theatre at Blank Canvas could be a problem. The cast is all wearing winter
& "winterish" attire. The heat may be a issue 2 them, i'm not sure. But it
was a issue 2 me. Because i'm the only 1 that is on stage the entire time
with 3 layers of clothing. At Wed.'s rehearsal i had 2 take my coats off
down 2 the t-shirt because the heat was just 2 unbearable from just sitting
in the cab. After the rehearsal i was told that i can't take my coats off.
i explained that i didn't want 2 take them off because it kinda ruins the
"look" of things because its supposed 2 be winter but the heat was
unbearable. i was soaked in sweat & feeling light headed. We discussed
costume variations & i explained that if nothing can be done about the
heat, perhaps i could wear the coats in the beginning of the play 2
establish the weather then take them off a few scenes in because i'm a cab
driver, in the cab all day with the heat on a comfortable temp & may not
need the coats in the cab unless i get out of the cab 4 some reason etc.
etc. That might look ok & acceptable. Ideas were tossed around about this
issue & it was decided, no, i was not 2 wear just the t-shirt. i was 2 wear
the coats or at least 1 of the coats. i tried 2 explain again about the
possible safety issue & in my opinion i felt it was not being acknowledged,
the decision was already made. i wasn't going 2 argue about it so, i left
it at that. Thu.'s rehearsal, the heat was severe. i followed my direction,
wore the coats, 3\4's of the way thru i was soaked in sweat, feeling dizzy
& light headed, having difficulty seeing straight & eventually excused
myself at the start of the next scene 2 go 2 the bathroom 2 be sick. After
trying 2 cool myself down in the sink, i returned 2 the stage & stated 2
the director that i have tried 2 be respectful of his wishes about the coat
issue, but that time was over. This situation should never have gone as far
as it did 2 the point of me getting sick. It was a safety issue that i
tried 2 explain that was not acknowledged. & when i returned 2 the stage, i
was very upset that it did indeed go that far. i was not in a healthy state
to continue. & i ended my rehearsal 4 the evening. Were my feelings
justified when i returned 2 the stage? i believe so. Others may differ. But
what followed after my statement was a barrage of insults & complaints
about me supposedly being some kind of "diva" & "a hard 2 work with actor".
& that brings me 2 my personal statement that i'll close with. i don't care
what any1 says when it comes 2 me as a actor. i know the truth about me. &
that truth is that i have always strived 2 be professional, prepared,
respectful of the work & the dignity of that work. As well as the
preservation of the integrity of the working enviroment. i have always been
a extremely giving actor, especially 2 my fellow cast mates. Always
extending 2 them a invitation 2 ask anything of me, 2 make requests of a
little thing they may need, 2 come 2 me with a idea about a scene 2 make it
better or better 4 them, whatever. i have always welcomed any input or
discussions from my fellow actors so we can all come 2 a common goal of
theatrical beauty. So when people think of me as a "diva" or a "hard 2 work
with actor", i have absolutely no idea where this comes from. The only mild
input i have ever received about possible divaness is my "appearance" at
rehearsals. At rehearsals, depended on the show i'm working on & my duties,
i tend 2 be kinda quiet. Thinking about what i need 2 do. Learning lines,
preparing, listening 2 notes, thinking about how 2 incorperate those notes
4 the next time we work the scene, etc. etc. i think people misunderstand
that prepared quietness as "snobby", "unapproachable",  "annoyed 2 be
there" or yeah, "being a diva". i can't even begin 2 tell u how far from
the truth that is. i wish people would stop taking it that way. Its
unfortunate, sad & a little annoying. But 1 thing i am very annoyed at is
always feeling i have 2 explain or defend myself against that. Its sooo
exhausting! & i'm not going 2 do it anymore. If people are so offended by
my quietness, my preparedness, my work ethic & process, &/or my presence in
general, then here is a promise that i make 2 u, the Cleveland theatre
scene. From now on, i promise 2 not offend u with my work ethics, my
process & most importantly, my presence. This promise is unfortunately also
extended 2 the cast of Blank Canvas' production of Hellcab. As it seems
that a majority of that cast seems 2 believe the above mentioned
misunderstandings. i have the upmost respect 4 that cast. They are a
tremendous group of some of the most talented actors i've ever worked with.
& it was truly an honor 2 work with them. But some things have 2 stop. If
anything, out of self preservation.             Sincearly,  Mark Mayo