[NEohioPAL] The Amen Corner - Rainey Institute.

DALE SHIELDS ricardo2541 at msn.com
Thu Jun 7 21:28:20 PDT 2012

PROJECT1voice
Presents
The National Benefit Staged Reading
of
THE AMEN CORNER
by James Baldwin
 JUNE 18th, 2012

Cleveland, Ohio – PROJECT1VOICE, a Black Theater consortium presents its 2nd annual fundraiser for the Rainey Institute, with the national benefit staged reading of James Baldwin’s The Amen Corner. The event will be presented on June 18, 2012 at 7:00 pm at the Debra Ann November Theatre at the Rainey Institute, which is located at 1705 East 55th Street, in Cleveland, Ohio.

Project1voice is celebrating James Baldwin's work this year, by uniquely unifying the creative voices of twenty eight African-American theaters from New York City to Los Angeles. This event also commemorate the 25th anniversary of the playwright’s passing. It is Project1voice's sincerest hope to spark renewed interest in Black Theatre and the organizations that nurture them.

The Amen Corner is a three-act play by James Baldwin, first published in 1954. The play addresses the themes of the role of the church in the African-American family. 1Voice 1Play 1Day! is a national day of celebration that not only honors the late great playwright, James Baldwin's seminal work. It also seeks to highlight the African-American theatre companies that are struggling for their very existence. New York City, Project1Voice founder Erich McMillan-McCall said in a statement. “It is imperative that our community sparks renewed interest in the art, the artists and the organizations which nurture them." Project1Voice (Cleveland) is also proud to take on the challenge of trumpeting our artistic resources so that Rainey Institute children's theatre can sustain themselves now and into the future.  We applaud the work of Beverly Brown and Lee Lazar's leadership of one of the most important institutions in our city.

The artist perfroming  in the Cleveland stage reading of The Amen Corner include: *Kyle Primous*, Conni Blair*, Mariama Whyte*, Angela Gillespie Winborn*, Norma Powell*, Margaret Taylor Ford* (*Actors appearing courtesy of Actors Equity Association - (Theatre Authority, Inc). Community cast favorites include: Peter Lawson Jones, Renee Matthews Jackson, Darlene Darby, Michael Medcalf, Antuane Rodgers, Ronald Pitts, Pierre Collins, Thelma Williams, A'tiva Marie, Syrmylin R. Cartwright-Kelly,  Debra Rose, Neal Hodges, Darnell Weaver, Clarise Maria Williams and David Jenkins.

The PROJECT1VOICE production team includes: Anthony Elfonzia Nickerson-El (production supervisor); Artis Gaines (production manager) and Jamie Weinfeld (stage manager).  The creative team for The Amen Corner is Edward Ridley Jr. as Musical Director and Dale Ricardo Shields as Director.

http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/openTheBox?sendevent=4d7a45324f4441794d6a553d0d0a&blogview=true&campaign=blog_playback_link

Benefit tickets are $25.00 at  www.project1voicecleveland.even​tbrite.com and sold at the door.

For more information, visit www.project1voice.org

Please support us!