[NEohioPAL] OPEN MIC SHAKESPEARE - CORIOLANUS - Monday July 2. Come read the play and win the DVD!

Brian Pedaci bpedaci at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 06:47:54 PDT 2012

TONIGHT -  (Monday, July 2) at 7pm, Cleveland Shakespeare Festival
continues Open Mic Shakespeare, an ongoing, open, participatory reading
series, held on the first Monday of each month at the Market Avenue Wine
Bar at 2521 Market Ave. in Ohio City.  We welcome those who would like to
take part in the reading, or those who just wish to listen and enjoy the
Wine Bar's selection of over 75 wines by the glass or 50 craft beers.
 Roles are distributed as people arrive and switched at the end of each
act, so everyone in attendance gets an opportunity to read a variety of
parts.  The atmosphere is very casual - no previous acting experience is
necessary - our only aim is to enjoy ourselves and the text.

This month, we read CORIOLANUS, the political and martial tragedy of a
decorated general who is fighting on two fronts - a vicious and bloody
enemy outside the city and the hungry, angry citizens within it who are
protesting because they believe the nobility is hoarding scarce food
supplies.  After he vanquishes the city of Corioli, he is gifted with the
moniker 'Coriolanus' and driven by his power-hungry mother to seek the
position of Consul.  Coriolanus must now seek the approval of the populace
he despises in order to win votes.  Coriolanus wins the position but
immediately powers begin to work to turn public opinion against him.  When
Coriolanus is banished from Rome, he joins with his old blood-enemy to take
his revenge on the city.

As a special treat - we have a copy of the recent film adaptation,
adapted/directed by/starring Ralph Fiennes and also featuring Gerard
Butler, Vanessa Redgrave, Brian Cox and Jessica Chastain to give away.  At
the end of the reading, we'll draw a winner.

We will have a limited number of scripts available, so please bring your
own copy if you have one.

For more information on this series or our 2012 summer season, "like" the
Cleveland Shakespeare Festival's Facebook
page<https://www.facebook.com/CleveShakes>,
follow us on Twitter (@CleveShakesFest) or visit our website at
www.cleveshakes.org.