[NEohioPAL] Salem Youth Chorus

Jon Simsic jon_simsic at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 06:27:25 PDT 2012

Announcing auditions for the 2012-2013 performing season of
The Salem Youth Chorus

The Salem Youth Chorus was founded in 2007 in order to provide teens and collegiate aged young adults with the opportunity to sing great choral music as crafted by the compositional masters. Our music program has attracted young persons from communities throughout the tri-county area in Ohio. In addition to our local concerts and as part of our yearly summer tours, the Salem Youth Chorus sang a concert at Bruton Parish Church in Colonial Williamsburg, VA and then sang Choral Evensong at The Washington National Cathedral in DC in 2008. In July of 2009, we traveled to NYC and sang at The Cathedral of St. John the Divine. The SYC was the guest choir from 2010-2012 for the annual Boar’s Head and Yule Log Festival at St. John’s Episcopal Church in Youngstown and will return for the 2013 Festival. We have released four CD’s, Morning Has Broken; Evening Reflections; A Festival of Lessons and Carols, Christmas CD and Sing a New Song! The ensemble was a
 prizewinner in the 2010 national music competition, The American Prize. In August of 2010, the SYC traveled to Cathedrals in England, Ireland and Wales for concerts and Choral Evensong. In the summer of 2011, the ensemble toured and performed at Cathedrals in Erie, PA, Buffalo, NY and Toronto, Canada. In 2012, the SYC performed at St Louis Cathedral and Old St. Patrick’s in New Orleans and sang a concert and Choral Evensong at Trinity Episcopal in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
The SYC rehearses once weekly throughout the season, alternating at rehearsal sites in Boardman and Salem. The rehearsal schedule intensifies prior to performances. If you are a teen (ages 13 and up) or college aged, love to sing and enjoy challenging repertoire in a demanding but supportive musical and social environment, consider being in the SYC.  If you’re contemplating studying music in college or already are doing so, the SYC would be a great way to reinforce excellent singing, sight reading, solfege, musicianship, etc. For further information and to schedule an audition, give the SYC a call at 330.607.6320.