[NEohioPAL] Now on "Brava!" -- Chagrin Valley Little Theatre's “God of Carnage” Tempers Intensity with Humor

Marjorie Preston marjorie at marjoriepreston.com
Sat Oct 6 20:38:09 PDT 2012

Chagrin Valley Little Theatre's “God of Carnage” Tempers Intensity with
Humor

By Marjorie Preston

"Brava!"

www.marjoriepreston.com/category/brava<http://Www.marjoriepreston.com/category/brava>

 The Tony award-winning “God of Carnage” by Yasmina Reza, translated from
the French by Christopher Hampton, is currently opening the mainstage
season at Chagrin Valley Little Theatre (CVLT). “God of Carnage” is an
intense play and this CVLT production wisely plays up the dry humor, much
to the delight of its audience.

 Because eleven-year-old Benjamin Raleigh has hit his classmate, Henry
Novak, in the face with a stick, literally knocking two of his teeth in,
the boys' parents meet to draft a joint statement about what happened – for
the insurance company, it is assumed – and the veneer of civility falls *
hard*.

 The aggressor's father, Alan Raleigh (David Malinowski), a lawyer with his
head glued to a cell phone, objects to the phrase “armed with a stick,” and
the victim's mother, Veronica Novak (Dawn Hill), a writer focused on
Africa, offers to change it to something less inflammatory. Unfortunately,
the gauntlet appears to be thrown down. The two sets of parents soon dig
their heels in against each other, including Annette Raleigh (Evie Koh),
wealth manager, and Michael Novak (Mark DePompei), owner of a retail store.

 These four capable actors do not miss a beat in their portrayal of parents
teetering on the line between discussing the actions of their kids and
defending their unique perspectives and way of life. They confess their own
struggles with balancing marriage, children and work, and end up in a
candid group therapy session with no clear leader.

 Malinowski is lizard-like as the darty-eyed lawyer, while his on-stage
wife Koh is enjoyable as the tightly wound wife who comes unglued while
drinking rum. DePompei is fun as the working man who turns crude when
pushed and Hill, the writer incredulous at injustice, when under stress she
can be more concerned with appearances and books than with the people in
her life.

 Director David Malinowski, in addition to stepping in to fill the role of
Alan due to a family illness of another actor, ably directs the show and
serves as set designer as well. He wears all hats well, as his cast is
strong and his direction has brought out the dry humor in a play about an
unfortunate and tragic event. His design of bright blue and red offsets the
tasteful, modern Brooklyn home's black and beige, and echoes the efforts to
play up the lighter side of this drama.

 With this play, Reza appears to be asking if, in fact, we are civilized at
all, and her answer to that seems to be that humans are hopelessly selfish.
But in this well-cast CVLT production of “God of Carnage,” we can laugh
through our angst.

 “God of Carnage” runs Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. through October 20
at Chagrin Valley Little Theatre, 40 River Street, Chagrin Falls. For
tickets, call (440) 247-8955 or visit *www.cvlt.org*. The play contains
adult language and themes.

Best,
mp

Marjorie Preston, President*
Marjorie Preston PR
*http://www.marjoriepreston.com/
Specializing in small business, arts and non-profit clients*
Let's tell your story!

*"If I was down to my last dollar, I'd spend it on public relations."--
Bill Gates, Microsoft founder