[NEohioPAL] Berko review: THE CARDIAC KIDS @ Cleveland Public Theatre, Interplay preview

Roy Berko royberko at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 13:54:42 PDT 2012

Browns finally win, so does THE KARDIAC KIDS at Cleveland Public Theatre;
Interplay preview

Roy Berko

(Member, American Theatre Critics Association & Cleveland Critics Circle)

Sunday the Cleveland Browns won.  Later that day and carrying over to
Monday, the city was abuzz.  No, the team hadn’t won the Super Bowl, the
Browns had been victorious in the first game in their last eleven attempts.

Eric Schmiedl, a long time Browns backer, understands this city.  In fact,
he uses the team in his play, THE KARDIAC KIDS, as analogy for the people
of Northeastern Ohio.

He introduces and mirrors people who have endured living in the “mistake on
the lake.”  They have lasted in an area noted for a burning river, the
scorched hair of a mayor, weather noted for the “lake effect,” being dubbed
the rust belt, and watching population and large corporations flee.  These
incidents, along with the fumble, the Mesa, the interception, the loss of
its football team, and the sneaky exit of its greatest basketball player,
have been answered by hope, pride, and longing.  Hey, “we” won on Sunday.

The shortcomings have been overcome by producing an area with one of the
country’s most vital theatre scenes, one of the world’s greatest
orchestras, a fantastic art museum, some unique architectural buildings,
several top rated world recognized hospitals, and unchallenged philanthropy.
And, “we” won Sunday.

Laugh at Cleveland, we laugh at ourselves!

Eric Schmiedl loves Cleveland, with all its wonders and warts.  In his
self-written one man show, he journeys through the 1980-81 Brownie football
season.  Yes, Brownie, for the symbol of the team at the time was a cute
little elf in a football uniform.  It’s the kind of symbol that fits this
city.  No.  Lions, tigers, bengals don’t fit. And, no, the dogs and the dog
pound just won’t do!  A cute Brownie did the city just fine!

During his recounting the game-by-game season, he spotlights the lives and
fortunes of a mixed-race girl abandoned to her Caucasian grandmother, a
Roman Catholic priest and his enemy, the parish dog, a bookish tradesman
from the near west side who thinks he has discovered the secret for
insuring victory for the Browns, the man’s son, a New York bartender, a
waiter turned cook, and other incidental characters.  They all have one
thing in common…their love for the Browns.

Schmiedl peppers his script with lots of local references.  We travel to
Aurora, visit a Lawson’s, are reminded of *The Cleveland Press*, go
shopping at Randall Park Mall, eat at Ponderosa Steak House and the Pewter
Mug.

Schmiedl takes us to January 4, 1981, and the last play of the playoffs.  It’s
the old Cleveland Stadium, 36 degrees below zero wind chill factor.  The
Browns are 2 points down, there are 32 seconds left in the game, the action
begins and …  Schmiedl doesn’t ever finish the tale.  Why?  Who cares, we
are Clevelanders, and whatever the outcome, we can endure.  We’ve lived
through it before, we’ll live through it again, and again, and
unfortunately, again.  Come on, this is Cleveland.

The Cleveland Public Theatre production is involving.  The animated
Schmiedl, assisted by his trusty overlays and overhead projector, keep the
audience’s interest for the entire 105 minutes (with intermission).

*Capsule judgement:  You don’t have to be a Cleveland football fanatic, or
even a Clevelander to enjoy Eric Schmiedl’s THE KARDIAC KIDS.  You don’t
have to, but it helps.*

THE KARDIAC KIDS runs through October 20.  Be aware that the curtain goes
up at 7 PM.  For tickets call 216-631-2727 or go on line to
www.cptonline.org.

**********************************

Interplay Jewish Theatre presents a free staged reading of THE DOGS OF
PRIPYAT, by Leah Napolin, Sunday, Nov. 4, 2012 at 2:00 p.m., Lakeland
Community College’s Rodehorst Performing Arts Center (in Building D).

THE DOGS OF PRIPYAT is an adult fable that explores one of the consequences
of the 1986 nuclear meltdown at Chernobyl. When nearby residents were
evacuated, they were forced to leave behind their beloved pets. Leah
Napolinimagined how her own dog might have dealt with such a
catastrophe and wrote
a groundbreaking play about bonding and survival. It is a parable for our
time.