[NEohioPAL] Day of the Dead at Church of the Saviour

Judith Higbee ajhigbee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 11:21:13 PDT 2012

*DAY OF THE DEAD (DIA DE MUERTOS)*

*SUNDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2012*

*9:30 a.m.   or   11:00 a.m.   *

*Presenters:  **Hector Castellanos-Lara**(Guatemala City)***

* *

*Ana Luisa Sanchez-Butte** (Puebla, Mexico) ***

*Calvary Hall*

* Church of the Saviour, Cleveland Heights *

*The public is cordially invited to this free event.*

* *

We live in an age which does its best in so many ways to deny the reality
of death. In our *Halloween-like* understanding, death is strange and
frightening. By contrast, the Meso-American holiday *Day of the Dead, *which
corresponds with All Souls Day, is a tradition that honors both death and
the cycle of life. In Mexico, neighbors gather in local cemeteries to share
food, music, and family stories with their extended community, both living
and departed. The celebration acknowledges that we still have a
relationship with our ancestors and loved ones that have died.

*PROGRAM*

*Ana Luisa Sanchez-Butte* (Puebla, Mexico) and *Hector
Castellanos-Lara *(Guatemala
City) will give a lecture about the history of the Day of the Dead
celebration during the Pre-Conquest times, Spanish Colonization with the
introduction of Catholicism, as well the Day of the Dead Celebration in
Cleveland during the last eight years. They will put together an Altar or
Remembrance Table with the most typical elements that are of this important
celebration in Latin America, especially in Mexico. There will be time at
the end of the presentation to ask questions.

*Sponsored by Arts in the Cathedral*

*CHURCH OF THE SAVIOUR*

*2537 Lee Road**, Cleveland** Hts., OH 44118*

*216-321-8880*

*Church of the Saviour is located one block north of Fairmount Blvd. in
Cleveland Heights.  The church has free parking and is
handicapped-accessible.*

--
Judith Higbee
Director of Music