[NEohioPAL] Broadway World Cleveland Awards -

Terry J Smith smith at tennisamigo.com
Sat Nov 10 19:38:45 PST 2012

Peter,

On one hand you support actors that refused awards, then on the other you
extol the skills of others and wonder why they weren't nominated.  Sounds like
you accept the fact that some actors are better than others but you don't
agree with the method or the people who are judging them, and that we should
just 'give it up and accept' that you know best.

People who think or hope that acting is not competitive are kidding
themselves.  Just as the stage and real life mirror each other, competition is
an integral part of acting.  Sure, there are also joyous moments of
collaboration, understanding, and love in the arts, as there are in life.  But
if one is looking for an endevor with less competition, they should be an
accountant or computer programmer where 95%+ of them can make a living at it.
Whereas acting, one of the most competitive pursuits there is, whether
professional or amateur, involves competing to get a role, engaging in
conflict on stage, fighting to get audiences, then struggling to do a good job
to reach them once they're in the seats.

I think we would agree that the best part of performing is the sharing of
life's joys and sorrows that make theater a win-win situation for both the
performers and the audience.  But I don't think it hurts to throw in some
awards and acknowledge the competitive element now and then, too.  Oscar Wilde
said anything worth doing is worth doing badly, and from what you and others
have said about the Broadway World Awards, it just sounds like they're doing
it badly.

Terry Smith

> I completely agree with Ms. Magid, Mr. Hawkes, and Mr. Corris about how
questionable and suspect these awards are.  I know for a fact that one of
last year's winners canvassed the entire theatre community for votes, and
this individual received, across the boards, absolutely terrible reviews for
their "winning" performance.  Another nominee, a teacher, solicited votes by
passing out slips of paper to her entire class with the Award 's Website
address. What's up with that?  God help a performer who doesn't receive a
Berko Award, or doesn’t end up on Ableman's End of the Year Awards!!  Does
anyone out there remember when Marlon Brando or George C. Scott refused to
accept their Academy Awards for Best Actor?  Their reasoning behind their
decision was that acting should not be a competition, like the
Olympics...their belief: just do the work.
> Okay, here is my love letter, because I am a big fan of both these
performers, and rightly so.  I’m sure many of you will agree.  I’m very sure
that many will not.  I’ve looked at all of the nominee lists, especially
Best Actor/Actress/Equity.  We should stop voting right now, and just give
these awards to Brian Zoldessy, who wasn’t even nominated, and Deidru Ring,
who was not nominated for The Normal Heart, but another show, for their
truly memorable performances in The Normal Heart.  Mr. Zoldessy’s passion,
rage, sensitivity, range, and vulnerability as Ned Weeks was remarkable.
And Ms. Ring, as Dr. Emma Brookner, was fierce, fiery, and very powerful.
Read the reviews, talk to theatre patrons. No doubt about it!  Just give it
up and accept it.  Be big, and give these actors some props.
> Now, all of the performers nominated provided us, for the most part, with
decent performances.  Some were good, or very good, some were just adequate.
 None of them ever approached brilliant.  As one critic stated, “Zoldessy
didn’t play Ned Weeks, he was Ned Weeks!” And
> “Ring’s performance was electric!”
> Two of the best performances I’ve seen on the Cleveland stage
.ever. The
question remains:  why were they not nominated for The Normal heart, and who
nominated all the rest for their respective
> performances?  Did they nominate themselves, or did they ask their entire
family, or every one of their friends?
> So neo-pals,  on with those responses!!
> On 11/8/12, Skip Corris <ccorris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've always been uncomfortable with awards for the performing arts. I've
never watched an Oscar, Emmy, or even a Tony Award show, the only redeeming
factor of which is Neil Patrick Harris. Thank goodness for youtube clips.