[NEohioPAL] Ending the Legal Defense Fund Discussion

Noah Budin nbudin at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 27 18:16:17 PST 2012

Dear Neopal Community -
It's about time to put the Legal Defense Fund discussion to bed. We are reaching the point of redundancy. Your comments will be carefully screened and, unless they add some astonishing new insight to the discussion, will not be posted.
I'd like to remind everyone that Neopal does not endorse an opinion, a position, or a side in this, or any issues of this nature.
If you didn't see Fred Sternfeld's post this morning, here it is in its entirety:
There has been some recent controversy surrounding the posting of a solicitation from a list member seeking funds for the "Kevin Joseph Kelly Legal Defense Fund."
Several of the postings criticized this list for "endorsing" this activity. I have also received several private emails expressing similar concerns.
This disclaimer appears as a footer on every message that goes out on Neohiopal, and has for the last 11 years:
"Disclaimer: The facts and/or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the person in the 'from' or 'reply-to' header. The fact that this message is posted should in no way be taken as an endorsement by the administrator of this list. Subscribers should perform due diligence for all goods, services and activities promoted on NEohioPAL."
The posting in question does make the statement "Obviously the people in this group already support Kevin, and want to help him in any way possible."  This statement either refers back to the subject line - "If you are friends with Kevin Joseph Kelly or have worked with him, please read this email" or is a direct reference to the Neohiopal group, owner or administrators. Others can debate that point.
Neohiopal doesn't endorse. It is a conduit for information - nothing more, nothing less.

If additional postings are sent by supporters of Mr. Kelly, the phraseology should be changed by the sender to something like"For those in support of Kevin, here is a way to help him...."
For those who filed the charges against Mr. Kelly, they are free to use this list to gather support - either emotional or financial.
Neohiopal is intended to be an open forum, with people allowed to express all sides of issues and to be a broad communication channel for the performing arts community. The request for support from all parties in this legal matter is a valid topic.
Noah
Now you can subscribe to my website/blog
and get new posts in your in-box.
www.noahbudin.com
And you can subscribe to my blog
"Keeping My Composer"http://noahbudinsongs.blogspot.com/