[NEohioPAL] Heights Youth Theatre Holding Auditions for Disney's Jungle Book, TODAY and TOMORROW, January 14 & 15

Pamela Fine olydia78 at ameritech.net
Mon Jan 14 06:46:26 PST 2013

Disney's Jungle Book

Directed & Choreographed by Treva Offutt
Musical Directed by Joanna Li

Auditions for anyone in grades 1-12:

Monday, January 14 – open call beginning at 5:00 pm, must be there by 8 pm to be seen
Tuesday, January 15 – open call beginning at 5:00 pm, must be there by 8 pm to be seen

Please note:  If you are not available to audition on either of these dates please e-mail heightsyouththeatre at gmail.com

Location for auditions: Wiley Middle School, 2181 Miramar Blvd, University Heights, Ohio 44118

Production Dates:

Friday, March 1, 8 and 15, 7 PM
Saturday, March 2, 9 and 16, 2 PM
Sunday, March 10, 2 PM

HELPFUL NOTES FROM THE DIRECTOR!

Hello from the Jungles of India! I am excited to meet and work with you all soon. The Jungle Book is a fantastic musical that is full of adventure, wild characters, incredible music, and heart. Making big choices is never easy, especially if you are young, and have only known one way of life. Mowgli has to make such a choice, and his friends in the jungle do not make it easy. There are multiple roles for males and females, as well as ensemble roles that are just as crucial to the success of the show. (There are NO small roles). *This version of the Jungle Book is different from the animated movie, though there are many similarities. Good luck to all, and I’ll see you soonJ

Grace, Love, and Peace,

Treva

What to prepare for the audition:

*FOR ALL. The most important information for us is what your time conflicts may be. Please be honest about days that you know you are booked, and any time that you may have to be away. We try to be as fair with time and scheduling to give everyone what they need. It can be frustrating to set a schedule, only to find out that key people cannot be present for those particular scenes. Make a list of things that you know about before you come to the audition (weddings, sports practices, family trips, etc…) The more we know, the better we can prepare, and run things smoothlyJ

Singers:
If you would like to sing in the show, you should prepare 16 bars from a song of your choice (up-tempo-pop), for 6th grade and higher. For those in 5th grade and younger, you will learn 16 bars from I Wan’na Be Like You from the Jungle Book (see lyrics below). Please warm up your voices before hitting the stage. If you are bringing your own music,be sure to have a clear copy for accompaniment. Be sure to have listened to the version of music that you bring in. Do not assume that what is notated is what you hear on the radio-pitch may vary in particular.

Lyrics for I Wan'na Be Like You:
Now give us the secret man-cub
Teach us every rule
And you can be the master of
Our how-to-be-a-man-cub school

Dancers/Pupeteers:
If you would like to dance in the piece, you will learn a short movement phrase during the audition. Please be sure to warm up while waiting. Wear something you can move well in.

Actors:
Sides are provided below. With character breakdowns and helpful hints. It is MOST IMPORTANT that you have rehearsed these lines BEFORE the audition. Reading the lines is different from having them in your body and brainJ If you are not interested in a speaking role, you do not have to do sides during the audition.

What to expect during the audition:
During the audition, you will be joined by your peers, on stage. You will enter in small groups based on the number you have when signing in.  A panel of theater professionals will be on one side of a table to help read sides, make suggestions, and help you do your best. The music director will be at the piano to accompany you and give suggestions. Sometimes, you will be asked to do a scale with the piano to give a better sense of your range, if it is not clear from your selection. There will be some time to wait, for each group to be seen with equal consideration. Bring a book, or something to keep you occupied. Keep an ear open for the numbers being called so that you can take the time you need to focus before entering (go over sides of song or stretch).

Callbacks:
Callbacks are done to clarify roles, or try out different combinations of people. If you do not get a notice for a DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU HAVE NOT BEEN CAST!!!!

AUDITION SIDES:

Sides are excerpts from scenes. When rehearsing for auditions, try to read with someone to play off of. All text in parentheses are stage directions for the characters actions or reasons to react the way they do. The text in parentheses are not to be read aloud, but to give you a big hint on how the lines may be read, and how you might be asked to move, as a result. A member of the audition team will read the other character lines for you, during the audition.  You can view the sides on our website at www.heightsyouththeatre.com/heights-youth-theatre-audition-production-info.html

Heights Youth Theatre programming is made possible by the generous support of the residents of Cuyahoga County through
Cuyahoga Arts and Culture and the Eaton Charitable Fund.