[NEohioPAL] AUDITIONS for Beck Center's Youth Theater Production of "BYE BYE BIRDIE!"

Jonathan Kronenberger jkronenberger at beckcenter.org
Fri Feb 1 12:33:43 PST 2013

Beck Center for the Arts Youth Theater, the oldest Youth Theater in the country, has only a few more audition spots open for our upcoming Youth Theater production of the classic Tony Award winning musical:

BYE BYE BIRDIE!

Music by Charles Strouse

Lyrics by Lee Adams

Book by Michael Stewart

Direction by Russ Stich

Musical Direction by Angela Bruzina

Choreography by Kelsey Elizabeth Smith

Winner of four Tony Awards, including Best Musical, Bye Bye Birdie is one of the most captivating musical shows of our time. It tells the story of Conrad Birdie, an Elvis-inspired rock and roll singer who is about to be inducted into the army, but not before one last publicity stunt that sends his fans going wild! Bye Bye Birdie is a satire done with the fondest affection, giving insight into the everyday life that is very much part of us all. With a top score by Charles Strouse, Tony Award Winning composer of ANNIE, the show features such musical theatre classics as Put on a Happy Face, One Boy, A Lot of Livin' to Do and Kids!  Birdie is the height in imagination and good old fashion fun.

Audition dates:
(open to all registered Beck Students ages 6 to 19*)
Saturday, February 23: 2:30 to 6:30 pm
& Sunday, February 24: 1:00 to 5:00 pm
Callbacks: Monday, February 25 from 5:00 - 8:00pm

Please sign up for a one-hour time slot at

Beck Center’s Customer Service Desk: 216-521-2540 x10.

What to Prepare:

Actors are asked to prepare the following:

1)      32 measures of a musical theater song, either up-tempo or ballad.  An accompanist is provided.  Sheet music is encouraged.

2)      A comedic monologue, up to one minute long.  Younger actors can recite a simple nursery rhyme. Memorization is strongly encouraged.

3)      Dress comfortably as there will be a dance/movement audition portion.

Potential Rehearsals: March 4 or 11, 2013  – May 4, 2013

Mon, Tue, Weds, Thurs, Fridays: 5:00 – 9:00 pm
Saturdays: 2:30 – 6:30pm or Sundays 1:00-5:00pm
We will NOT be rehearsing every day or every one of those hours.  We will pick the days and times that best accommodate the most people’s schedules – once we know conflicts for above, particularly holiday breaks and availability.

Tech Week:  May 5 – 9, 2013
Sunday from 1:00 – 9:00 and Weekdays 4:30-9:00

All cast members are required to attend ALL rehearsals during Tech Week!

Performance dates:  May 10 – 19, 2013
All cast members are required to attend all Performances!!
Fridays, May 10 & 17 at 7:30 pm
Saturdays, May 11 & 18 at 3:00 pm
Sundays, May 12 & 19 at 3:00 pm
Student Matinee: Thursday, May 16 at 10:00am
(NOTE: This will require missing school that morning.)

*Please note:

Participation in this production is only available to those who will be registered in our Winter/Spring 2013 semester (either in Dance, Music, Theater or Visual Arts).

So if you are interested in auditioning for the show, you will need to enroll in some class at Beck Center. Our 2013 Winter/Spring semester just started – with our Saturday Core classes beginning Saturday, February 2.  Any questions, please feel free to contact the director, Jonathan Kronenberger, at 216-521-2540 x27.

The 2013 Winter/Spring catalog is available online at www.beckcenter.org<http://www.beckcenter.org>

BYE BYE BIRDIE is presented through special arrangement with Tams-Witmark Music Library, Inc.

Please check out and join our Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beck-Center-Theater-Education-Youth-Theater/80835041820?ref=ts

Beck’s 2012-2013  Youth Theater Season
Our Town (November 1-4, 2012); Going Medieval: A Ye Olde Comedie (December 14-23, 2012); Avenue Q: School Edition (February 8-17, 2013) and Bye Bye Birdie! (May 10-19, 2013)

Located at 17801 Detroit Avenue in Lakewood, Beck Center for the Arts is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization that offers professional theater productions, arts education programming in dance, music, theater, visual arts, early childhood, and creative arts therapies for special needs students, and gallery exhibits featuring local, regional and international artists. For more information visit beckcenter.org<http://www.beckcenter.org/>.