[NEohioPAL] Class Cancel and Deathtrap Audition

Maureen Dempsey fromstage2screen at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 10:41:29 PST 2013

Hello Actors!

For my class...

Okay (she clears her throat) I (hesitation) officially c c cancel class. (deep sigh of sadness)
I am so sorry but the weather is nasty.  The Roaring 20s class will have to wait.  So get ready to dud up next week!

Deathtrap Auditions!

Please! READ the notice.
First, do NOT reply to this email.  You send your request for a time to maureen126 at gmail.com
When you send your request please include the time AND the day.  There are TWO days.
Finally for now, if you have any questions please email them to maureen126 at gmail.com I am happy to answer them with in reason.
* As for the question about the kiss. Deathtrap is a play more about manipulation and deceit.  I would be happy to talk to you about the show and my creative vision.  I can tell you that this play is a discussion of how far people are willing to go to get what they want.  And the two main leads are pushed to their limits and tested to see who they really are.  All five characters are presented with circumstances which test their character.  And in the end what does it all get them?  One thing I can tell you, I am not going to do the "kiss."  I don't see any reason for it.  This is a Murder Mystery.  If all the answers are fed to the audience then there is no mystery.  However, to what extent have these two men compromised to get what they want?  Hmm?  It’s great if the audience wants to know.

So please email me maureen126 at gmail.com  The notice is below.

Maureen Dempsey
http://www.maureendempsey.com/
Auditions for “Deathtrap”
DEATHTRAP, A Thriller in Two Acts    by Ira Levin

AUDITION DATE:                 Feb. 9th  10am – 2pm
                                                Feb. 10th 10am – 12pm   Callbacks after if needed
LOCATION:                           East Cleveland Theater
14108 Euclid Ave
East Cleveland, OH 44112
216-851-8721
DIRECTOR:                           Maureen Dempsey

Audition times are open however you can schedule a specific time.  Please email maureen126 at gmail.comfor an audition time spot if you’d like one.  You may come to the open audition however; those with an appointment will have priority.  All others are on a first come first served basis.

SHOW DATES: Four weekends in April. Saturday Evening and Sunday Matinee
Saturday, April 06, 2013  8:00pm
Sunday, April 07, 2013  3:00pm
Saturday, April 13, 2013  8:00pm
Sunday, April 14, 2013  3:00pm
Saturday, April 20, 2013  8:00pm
Sunday, April 21, 2013  3:00pm
Saturday, April 27, 2013  8:00pm
Sunday, April 28, 2013  3:00pm

SUMMARY: Renowned playwright, Sidney Bruhl, is in a writer’s slump. Clifford Anderson, a student from one of Sidney’s writing seminars, has recently sent his mentor, Sidney, a copy of his first attempt at playwriting for his review. Clifford’s play, “Deathtrap,” is a five character, two act thriller and painfully perfect in its construction. Out of his desperate desire to once again be the toast of Broadway, Sidney cooks up a scheme to lure the would-be playwright to the Bruhl home, kill him, and market the sure-fire script as Sidney’s own.  Myra, who yearns for Sidney to be back on top, wonders in her silence. When Clifford arrives, things are not what they seem. Helga Ten Dorp, a colorful psychic from next door, and Porter Milgram, Sidney’s observant attorney, speculate where the line between truth and deception lie.

BACKGROUND: Deathtrap by Ira Levin is a play within a play. It began its Broadway run in 1978 at the Music Box Theater and holds the record for the longest running comedy-thriller on Broadway and was nominated for the Tony Award for Best Play. The play was later adapted into a film starring Christopher Reeve, Michael Caine and Dyan Cannon.

All ethnicities are welcome for all roles.
This is a nonunion production.

AUDITION MATERIAL:Auditions will consist of reading from the script.

REHEARSALS: We will rehearse evenings and some weekends starting Feb. 24th.  Tech week, everyone is needed every evening, is the first week of April leading up to our opening on April 6th.

CHARACTER BREAKDOWN:  ALL ROLES ARE OPEN

SIDNEY BRUHL (M)A famous playwright. After a taste of success, he is now desperate to be back on top but has been stifled in his creativity. He is polished, manipulative and seemingly confident. Willing to learn some stage combat.

CLIFF ANDERSON (M) An aspiring young playwright. Good-looking, intelligent and charming. He is determined to become a successful playwright and willing to compromise anything for a hit. Willing to learn some stage combat.

MYRA BRUHL (F)Sidney’s wife. Sophisticated, upper class and in need of her husband’s success.

HELGA TEN DORP (F but maybe…)A famous foreign psychic who is visiting the neighbors of the Bruhl’s. She is quirky, bold and struggles with her English.

PORTER MILGRAM (M but maybe…)A lawyer. An imposing man of substance who is on the lookout for Sidney’s best interests. A friend of the family.

** I am open to creative choices.  Have fun!
*** Please check my facebook page for updates.  https://www.facebook.com/Dempsey126
This is available in Google Drive  https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxPT8iVN8zUJWUozZ3VVdFlkeHc/edit?usp=sharing