[NEohioPAL] Tonight at the Ashtabula Arts Center...

Ashtabula Arts Center aac at ashartscenter.org
Fri Feb 8 09:09:34 PST 2013

2928 West 13th St. - Ashtabula, Ohio 44004 -440-998-3396

Press Release
Contact: Pamela Hammond

(440) 964-3396

2928 West 13th St., Ashtabula, OH 44004

aac at ashartscenter.org

www.ashtartscenter.org

www.artscenternews.com

February 8, 2013

Tonight is one very special night at the Ashtabula Arts Center!

6:30 - 8:30 p.m.           "These are the Stories I Tell: Portraits from Goldenseal,"

by photographer Carl Feather.  Admission is free.

6:30 - 8:00 p.m.           Free performance by bluegrass artist John Lilly

8:00 p.m.                      Opening performance of "Crimes of the Heart"

Hear the "big reveal" of our Straw Hat Theatre 2013 summer season during intermission!

For more information (440) 964-3396

The night of Friday, February 8, 2013, is going to be a special one at the Ashtabula Arts Center with three very unique events on tap for the evening.

A special added attraction to his month-long gallery showing entitled: "These are the Stories I Tell: Portraits from Goldenseal," photographer Carl Feather will be on hand for a special artist's reception on February 8 from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. The environmental portraits on display February 6 - March 4 are drawn from the more than 90 stories by Carl Feather that were published in Goldenseal Magazine, a quarterly publication of the West Virginia Department of Culture and History. Feather has been a freelance writer for the magazine since the mid-1980s, and he is also a reporter and photographer for the Ashtabula Star Beacon. He is the owner of Feather Cottage Media, a producer of multimedia. The exhibition and reception are free to the public.

"My most satisfying work as a writer and photographer has been for Goldenseal," said Feather, whose parents are West Virginia natives. "I truly feel at home in these mountains, and the residents of the state are literally family to me. The best memories of my life are of the 'Goldenseal trips' I make several times a year in search of stories and new adventures."

Providing entertainment during Feather's reception will be musician John Lilly. Lilly is a multi-talented acoustic music performer from Charleston, West Virginia. He is recognized internationally as a powerful performing songwriter; his song titled "Come And Go" was the winner of the 2010 "Next Great Road Song" contest. His original, traditional, and classic country music hits home and rings true. From hidden masterpieces by Hank Williams, Jimmie Rodgers, and the Louvin Brothers to ancient folk ballads and creative original songs, John Lilly presents music of unusual depth and sincerity. This talented artist will be performing in the Ashtabula Arts Center Gallery from 6:30 p.m. until 8 p.m. The performance is free of charge to the public, but a free-will offering will be accepted.

Opening on the main stage at 8 p.m. will be the G.B. Community Theatre production of "Crimes of the Heart." This Pulitzer Prize winning play by Beth Henley features the "miss"-adventures of three young Misses: Lenny, Meg, and Babe Magrath; each sister with her own set of problems that add to the hilarity of the show. Additional performances will also be held February 9, 10, 15, 16, 17, 22, 23.  Friday and Saturday shows begin at 8 p.m. Sunday matinees begin at 2 p.m.

As an added special event on the evening of February 8th, those in attendance for that night's performance of "Crimes of the Heart" will be the first to hear the announcement of the line-up for the exciting 2013 Straw Hat Theatre season during the intermission of the show. With Straw Hat auditions just a few weeks away, actors at the special announcement will be first to know what shows to prepare for, and theater-goers will be the first to know what thrilling shows are in store for the summer theater season at the intimate Straw Hat Theatre, located on the beautiful Ashtabula Arts Center grounds.

For tickets to "Crimes of the Heart" or more information about the Carl Feather art exhibit or John Lilly's performance call the Ashtabula Arts Center at (440) 964-3396.

The Ashtabula Arts Center is funded in part by the Ohio Arts Council.

###

Pamela Hammond
Public Relations/Marketing Coordinator
Ashtabula Arts Center