[NEohioPAL] Crossword-puzzle romance, Stephen Sondheim, and open auditions - March News from CVLT

Chagrin Valley Little Theatre cvlt at cvlt.org
Wed Feb 27 10:19:31 PST 2013

Trouble viewing this email? See it on the web at
http://www.cvlt.org/monthlymail.htm <http://www.cvlt.org/monthlymail.htm>

  CHAGRIN VALLEY LITTLE THEATRE

www.CVLT.org <http://www.CVLT.org> . 440-247-8955
40 River Street, Chagrin Falls OH 44022

Facebook.com/ChagrinTheatre <http://facebook.com/ChagrinTheatre>
Twitter.com/ChagrinTheatre <http://twitter.com/ChagrinTheatre>

  March2013 News & Events

  * *Happening in March...*
      o *March 1 - 16:* *2 ACROSS*
        <http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/2across.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>
        (comedy)
      o *March 3 & 4: OPEN AUDITIONS for "Mrs. Mannerly / Donkey
        Baseball"
        <http://www.cvlt.org/auditions.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>*
        (1-act comedies)
      o *March 15:* *Deadline for script submissions to the 10-10
        Festival!*
        <http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/10-10.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>
      o *March 22 - April 20:* *PUTTING IT TOGETHER
        <http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/puttingittogether.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>*
        (musical)

  * *Coming in April...*
      o *April 8 & 9: OPEN AUDITIONS for "Skin Deep"
        <http://www.cvlt.org/auditions.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>*
        (comedy)
      o *April 12: Spring Tea Luncheon
        <http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/springtea.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>*
      o *April 13 - May 18: Spring Youth Theater Sessions
        <http://www.cvlt.org/youth/index.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>*

      *March may bring* Spring, but things are /always/ bouncing at CVLT!

Take Our Survey!
<https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dE1NM3NxdzNJRXBNRGVFSjNfOE84Q3c6MQ>

Activity abounded at CVLT in February with successive successful
weekends; we enjoyed the accomplished violinst Jinjoo Cho with the
Chagrin Falls Studio Orchestra, followed by record crowds for the Youth
Theatre's re-working of /Sleeping Beauty/. As we are 'only as good as
our last performance', your continued attendance brings kudos to us all!

A lull of one week allows us to launch the romantic comedy *TWO ACROSS
<http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/2across.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>*
at the River Street while we prepare for the musical *PUTTING IT
TOGETHER
<http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/puttingittogether.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>*
on Main Stage. For the performers and writers, March also brings
auditions for two comedic one-acts at the River Street, and the deadline
for script submissions to the third installment of our 10-10 FESTIVAL of
one-act plays
<http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/10-10.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>
on March 15!

To keep the theatre running like a well-oiled machine, many
behind-the-scenes groups are hard at work to provide you the
entertainment that CVLT is known for. As Mr. Sondheim wrote, "art isn't
easy", but we're sure you'll enjoy the fruits of our efforts. Whether we
make you laugh, cry, or just make you feel well-entertained, you the
audience, are who we cater to. Thanks for being with us.

See you soon,
/Your Friends at CVLT/

    */2 Across
    <http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/2across.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>/*
    by Jerry Mayer

*March 1 - March 16
Fridays & Saturdays at 8:00 PM*

*at CVLT's River Street Playhouse, 56 River St.
Tickets: *$10 all seats
Contains some mature language.

*Buy tickets online at http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/2across.php
<http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/2across.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>

or call 440-247-8955*

*Directed by Barbara L. Rhoades*

*Starring:
*Chris White and Adam V. Young

2 ACROSS is the story of two strangers, Josh and Janet. She's an
organized, sensible, psychologist. He's a free spirited, unemployed ad
exec. While she powers through the New York Times crossword puzzle, he
is apt to flip to the sports section as soon as he hits a tough clue.
Janet takes crosswords and life very seriously, while Josh treats both
like a game.

Each commuting solo aboard a San Francisco BART train at 4:30 AM, Janet
catches Josh tossing away his uncompleted crossword puzzle and
challenges him to finish it. Thus begins a long, witty, and often
poignant conversation in which the two help to solve each others'
puzzles both on the paper and in their lives. The two opposite
personalities, stuck in close proximity, attack each other's values but
are also swayed and intrigued by them. As the train ride ends it is
obvious each of them has been changed for the better, and we're dying to
know if these two meet again.

    */Putting It Together
    <http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/puttingittogether.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>/*
    by Stephen Sondheim

*March 22 - April 20
Fridays & Saturdays at 8:00 PM
Sunday, April 7 at 2:00 PM*

*Tickets: *$18 regular, $14 student/child

*For information see
http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/puttingittogether.php
<http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/puttingittogether.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>

or call 440-247-8955*

*Directed by Marc C. Howard
Musical Direction by D. Keith Stiver *

*Starring: *
Derrick Winger, Brian Pichola, Thomas E. Love, Hope Caldwell and Laura
Giterman

Stephen Sondheim is undeniably one of the most important figures in
American musical theater. In a career spanning nearly fifty years, he
has been the recipient of eight Tony Awards, multiple Grammy Awards, the
Laurence Olivier Award, an Academy Award, and the Pulitzer Prize.

As may be expected of any work by Sondheim, PUTTING IT TOGETHER is
anything but typical. The show pulls together songs from some of
Sondheim's most beloved works, including /Sunday in the Park with
George, Assassins, Company, Merrily We Roll Along, A Funny Thing
Happened on the Way to the Forum, A Little Night Music, Sweeney Todd/
and others. However, unlike most musical revues, PUTTING IT TOGETHER
wraps the familiar songs in new context; a Manhattan cocktail party
serves as the setting for five performers to use the musical selections
as an examination of the ups and downs of two relationships.

    OPEN AUDITIONS
    <http://www.cvlt.org/auditions.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>

*Mrs. Mannerly / Donkey Baseball *
Show Dates: May 3 - May 18, 2013
Fridays & Saturdays at 8 PM

Directed by Steve Kay

In Jeffrey Hatcher's Mrs. Mannerly, the title character runs a school of
manners, dueling endlessly with her students via wit and wordplay, while
in Don Nigro's Donkey Baseball audiences listen in on a bullpen
conversation between two veteran players as they gripe about all that's
wrong with the game today. CVLT's River Street Playhouse will present
both of these 1-acts in one evening.

*Audition Dates: March 3 & March 4, 2013 *
Auditions for "Donkey Baseball" @ 7 PM - Two men aged 25-35. These
actors are playing slightly over the hill ball players and need to look
the part.
Auditions for "Mrs. Mannerly" @ 8 PM - One woman, aged 50-70 to play
Mrs. Mannerly. One other actor, aged 30-50, to play Jeffery and ten
other roles, both male and female. Jeffery is the main role here.

Auditions and performances will be held in CVLT's River Street
Playhouse, 56 River St., directly west of the main building.

Headshots and acting resumes are welcome but not required. We will be
reading selected scenes from the script.

    Still to come in CVLT's 83rd CONSECUTIVE SEASON
    <http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/index.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>

            Chagrin Falls Studio Orchestra (May 3 - 4, 2013)

    The Chagrin Falls Studio Orchestra performs a spring concert.

      DONKEY BASEBALL / MRS. MANNERLY
      <http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/donkeymannerly.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>
      May 3 - May 18, 2013
      at The River Street Playhouse, 56 River St.

The River Street Playhouse presents two comedies for two actors in one
evening! Jeffrey Hatcher's /Mrs. Mannerly/ runs a school of manners,
dueling endlessly with her students via wit and wordplay, while Don
Nigro's /Donkey Baseball/ takes us to a bullpen where two veteran
players gripe about all that's wrong with the game today.

      SKIN DEEP
      May 31 - June 22, 2013

Jon Lonoff's play is about two sisters and their significant others.
This hilarious comedy tackles issues of weight, plastic surgery,
middle-aged dating, and infidelity with tons of zippy one-liners and a
warm heart.

      THE 10-10 NEW PLAYS FESTIVAL
      June 28 - July 13, 2013
      at The River Street Playhouse, 56 River St.

It's the return of CVLT's popular festival of ten ten-minute, one-act
plays. The River Street Playhouse will feature premiere works by
playwrights from Northeast Ohio and beyond. NOW ACCEPTING SCRIPTS!
<http://www.cvlt.org/83rdSeason/10-10.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>

      LEGALLY BLONDE
      July 19 - August 17, 2013

Based on the novel by Amanda Brown and the 2001 film, LEGALLY BLONDE is
the story of Elle Woods, an attractive sorority girl who heads to
Harvard Law to win back her boyfriend, but soon discovers how her law
education gives her the power to help others. With music and lyrics by
Laurence O'Keefe and Nell Benjamin and book by Heather Hach, this
popular musical comedy was nominated for multiple Tony and Drama Desk
awards.

*FUNDRAISER BRICKS - ORDER NOW!*

Starting at just $75, you can get your own custom engraved brick paver
in our front entrance sidewalk!

A unique way to commemorate a special occasion or honor that person on
your gift list who's hard to shop for!

We're taking orders now for our next installation of bricks, so visit
http://www.cvlt.org/bricks
<http://www.cvlt.org/bricks/index.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>
to order yours today!

*ADVERTISE WITH CVLT!*

Did you know that ticket sales only cover a fraction of what it costs to
put on a show and keep CVLT running?

Your advertisement in our playbill or on our e-ticket not only puts your
business in front of thousands of people, but it helps us to defray the
costs of entertaining and educating the community.

Playbill ads start at just $150 for the season, and on-ticket ads start
at just $100 per quarter. We also offer show sponsorships!

Reserve your space now!
http://www.cvlt.org/advertise
<http://www.cvlt.org/advertise/index.php?utm_source=monthlymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mar2013>

We appreciate your support!

*CVLT.org . 440-247-8955
40 River Street, Chagrin Falls OH 44022*

Chagrin Valley Little Theatre is generously funded by Cuyahoga County
residents through Cuyahoga Arts and Culture. The Ohio Arts Council helps
fund our organization with state tax dollars to encourage economic
growth, educational excellence and cultural enrichment for all Ohioans.