[NEohioPAL] Voice Actors with Home Studios

Colors Audio colorsaudio at neo.rr.com
Mon Mar 4 10:51:19 PST 2013

There are still seats left for this workshop series, but please hurry
and register - the first class is this Saturday!

If you're a voiceoverist with a home studio, you probably didn't set
out to become a "recording engineer."  People said that you could work
from home in your pajamas and make millions of dollars, and now you're
confronted with input levels and file conversion and all sorts of
noise - and the vague feeling that you may be in over your head.

What else didn't they tell you?

I'll be presenting a series of three workshops on consecutive Saturday
mornings in March - March 9th, 16th and 23rd from 10am to 1pm to
answer just that question.  These will be held here at the Colors
Audio World Headquarters and Spaghetti Noodle Straightening Facility.
The cost for the series is $150.

The notion that, since clients are unsophisticated these days, we can
give them a low level of quality and they won't know the difference,
is flat-out crap.  Your audition is competing with those that are
louder, cleaner and more polished.  Their audition sounds like it's
ready to go.  Yours doesn't.  And the client is supposed to listen
past that?!?

These workshops are for voice artists who have home studios already,
but don't feel they're getting the most out of them.  Below, I've
listed some of the topics that I intend to cover.  What we will NOT
talk about is how to use & navigate any particular software. This is a
series about solid audio recording techniques for the novice - not
tech support.

To register, please send your check for $150 made out to Colors Audio,
to:

Dan Popp
Colors Audio
Suite #301
2215 E. Waterloo Road
Akron, OH 44312

Somewhere on your check or elsewhere, please give me your phone number
and mailing address.  The first 6 people who get me a check will be
registered.  I'll email you to confirm your registration.  Checks
received after those six slots have been filled will be returned.
Email me with questions, but realize that only your check registers
you.  There are no refunds.  If we have to reschedule a workshop
because of weather or some other circumstance, we'll deal with that as
it comes up.

This is my first time doing this project this way, so we'll be
learning together.

Good recording!

Dan Popp
Colors Audio
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in
practice, there is." - Chuck Reid

The Audition Audio workshop series*

Session 1: Can you hear me now?

Activity: Listening to participant recordings, evaluation,
recommendations

Acoustics: Every room has a sound

Isolation vs. control

Classic mistakes in treating your room

Monitoring: Speakers

Speaker placement

What you don’t know can hurt you.

Priorities for improvement

Hearing: No solid reference – workarounds

Developing multiple references

How does it “translate?”

Ear fatigue in engineers and listeners

Safe sound

Headphones

Terminology

Giveaway: ASC Room Mode Test

PHASE RULES ALL

How does digital recording work?

Activity: Listening to high-quality references

Session 2: Recording & editing

What is a signal chain?

Fitting mics to voices

Mic technique

What are proper input levels?

What are proper output levels?

What is the screen showing me?  Do I trust it?

File types

File conversion

Editing speech

Fixing problems: breaths, clicks, pops, sibilance

QC

File naming

Archiving

Session 3: Processing

Why does it matter when I process/fix it?

Equalization

Dynamic Compression/Limiting

Equalization AND Compression (or vice versa?)

De-Essing

Expansion/gating

Other kinds of effects

Normalization

Workarounds for client system deficiencies

Salt

Processing is a process

Why the medium matters

*This list does not constitute a guarantee - our mileage will vary.
My intent is to answer your questions and give you the information you
need in order to make truly competitive audition recordings from home.