[NEohioPAL] CROWNS auditions at Karamu

richard morris rmorrisjr at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 28 15:33:15 PDT 2013

          CROWNSby Regina Taylor
adapted from the book by Michael Cunningham and Craig Marberry

Directed by: Terrence Spivey
Musical Director: Sharolyn Ferebee

Production Dates: May 24 – June 16 2013

AUDITION DATES

·       Monday                    April 1, 2013    7:00pm – 9:00pm
·       Tuesday                   April 2, 2013    7:00pm – 9:00pm

   CALL BACKS
·       Saturday                  April 6, 2013    11:00am – 1:00pm

 AUDITION PREPARATION
Karamu is seeking African American Actors/Singers and dancers. Performers must
be prepared to sing (acappella) 2 songs One Gospel and one contemporary. An
accompanist will be provided. All will be asked to do a cold reading from the
script.

LOCATION:   2355 East 89th Cleveland Ohio

ABOUT THE PLAY
A moving and celebratory musical play in which hats become a springboard for an
exploration of black history and identity as seen through the eyes of a young
black woman who has come down South to stay with her aunt after her brother is
killed in Brooklyn. Hats are everywhere, in exquisite variety, and the
characters use the hats to tell tales concerning everything from the etiquette
of hats to their historical and contemporary social functioning.

Cast of Characters

Wanda is the most ladylike woman of the group. Her hat stories are full of
propriety and decorum as well as fond recollections. The choice of the
appropriate hat is very important to Wanda. She is, for example, turned off by
too many baubles on a hat - especially sequins in church.  (40's 50's)
"I realize, right here and now, that even if I had no hair, I'd glue a wig to my
scalp and put a hat on.”

Jeanette is flirtatious, brassy, fun loving and full of   the joy of
spirituality. Her hat stories include a memorable gift from a   white
acquaintance and the memory of her father's favorite hat. At church,   she looks
up to Mother Shaw - both the way she carries herself and the way   she presides
over the morning congregation. (30's-40's)
"I'd lend my children before I'd lend my hats. I know my children   know their
way home, but my hats might not."

Velma refers to herself as a hat queen and coins the   phrase "hattitude" for
the way a woman ought to carry herself in a   hat. She is tougher than she looks
- hard times have offered her many life   lessons. Velma becomes a funeral
director and observes how "hattitude"   figures into the death
ritual. (40's-50's)
"Sometimes under those hats there's a lot of pain and a lot of   sorrow."

Yolanda is the youngest   of the group, the outsider who resists the other women
in their attempts to   welcome her into their family. Yolanda asserts herself as
a rebellious spirit   and bucks the traditions that the others hold
sacred. (Early 20's) "Don't want to be/ Boxed in/ By some dead or dying
traditions/ And I don't know how to be one of them"

Mother   Shaw is Yolanda's   grandmother and the matriarch in this world. She
remembers the days before   the civil rights movement and reminisces about hat
stores with signs   proclaiming "Whites Only." She is a leader in her community
and   recognized for her fiesty nature and her power to "usher in the
Spirit." (50'-60's)"If you get to shoutin' hard and that hat comes off, it's
mine."

Mabel is a minister's wife who confesses to owning   about 200 hats. Mabel
believes in setting an example of dress and behavior   for younger girls and
exercises her influence with a sharp and sassy tell-it-like-it-is
attitude. (40's-50's)
"Listen - never touch my hat. Admire it from a distance, honey."

The Man,the spirit of the   crossroads, is a vital part of the women's histories
and appears in different   roles throughout the play. He serves the stories that
the women tell, often   bringing momentary life to the fathers, brothers,
husbands and preachers who   have touched the lives of the other
characters. "You don't need   another hat. You don't have but one
head." (30's-50's)

Two Dancers, Seeking 1 male and 1 female dancer with modern, jazz and   African
Dance technique

REHEARSALS   consist of8 weeks of rehearsals, 3 - 6 times per week.  The cast
will receive the rehearsal schedule by the first cast meeting or first
rehearsal.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact Richard H. Morris at
216.795.7070 ext 236.