[NEohioPAL] 60+ are already cast at HBTI! PRINCIPAL ROLES still available. You can still be in THE KING AND I, JEKYLL & HYDE and THE HEIDI CHRONICLES!! "Second Round Auditions"

Fred Sternfeld fsternfeld at hb.edu
Mon Apr 15 10:43:25 PDT 2013

*Hathaway Brown Theatre Institute (HBTI)
**SECOND ROUND
AUDITION INFORMATION**
**The King and I / Jekyll & Hyde / The Heidi Chronicles**
**Please Note: **to be eligible to participate in these productions**
you must attend at least 1 session of HBTI ‘13 Summer Training.

There are already over 40 students involved in The King and I and over 20
involved in Jekyll & Hyde.  There are still principal roles and ensemble
roles for males in both shows, and ensemble roles for females as well. All
roles are open in The Heidi Chronicles.

Check out who are in the casts
here<http://www.fredsternfeld.com/hbti_productions_2013.htm>
**
Why Audition? Check out the testimonials at the end of this email...

Auditions** for The King and I / Jekyll & Hyde**
*

Thursday, April 25, 2013, 4:00 - 6:00pm
Friday, April 26, 2013, 4:00 - 6:00pm

*Auditions** for The Heidi Chronicles*
Thursday, April 25, 2013, 6:00 – 7:30pm
Friday, April 26, 2013, 5:30 - 7:00pm

 *For more information about the rehearsal schedule, tuition, and to make
an audition appointment, please go to this website: www.hb.edu/hbti*

*The King and I*

Music by Richard Rodgers, Book & Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II, Based on
Anna and the King by Margaret Landon, Original Choreography by Jerome
Robbins

Director - Fred Sternfeld
Music Director - Elaine Siegel
Choreographer - Bebe Weinberg Katz

*OPEN ROLES*
Kralahome – a male lead
Sir Edward Ramsey – a male large supporting role
Ensemble – Children, Wives, Attendants

*ABOUT THE PLAY*
East versus West makes for a dramatic and uplifting tale of enormous
fascination. It is 1862 in Siam when an English widow, Anna Leonowens, and
her young son arrive at the Royal Palace in Bangkok, having been summoned
by the King to serve as tutor to his many children and wives.

July 12 - 21, Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30pm, Sundays at 2:00pm (2
weekends; 6 performances)**

*Jekyll & Hyde*

Conceived for the Stage by Steve Cuden and Frank Wildhorn, Book and Lyrics
by Leslie Bricusse, Music By Frank Wildhorn

Director – Bob Russell
Music Director - John Krol
Choreographer - Bebe Weinberg Katz

*OPEN ROLES
*Sir Danvers Carew – a male lead
Featured Ensemble - Bisset, Priest, Orderly, Party Guest, etc. Yet to be
assigned solos/lines

*ABOUT THE PLAY***

An evocative tale of the epic battle between good and evil, *Jekyll &
Hyde*is based on Robert Louis Stevenson's classic story about a
brilliant doctor
whose experiments with human personality create a murderous counterpart.

August 9 - 18, Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30pm, Sundays at 2:00pm (2
weekends; 6 performances)**

*The Heidi Chronicles*

by Wendy Wasserstein

Director - Molly Cornwell

*OPEN ROLES*
All roles are open. Great roles for females and males.

*ABOUT THE PLAY*
Winner of the Pulitzer Prize & the Tony Award. Funny, touching, and written
with rare grace and sensitivity, the play is a moving examination of the
progress of a generation, from the socially and politically activist
sixties to the success-oriented eighties—a time during which the status of
American women underwent profound, and sometimes unsettling, change.

July 26 - 28, Friday and Saturday at 7:30pm, Sunday at 2:00pm (1 weekend; 3
performances)

**

*

 TESTIMONIALS FROM FORMER STUDENTS OF THE HBTI FACULTY "The level of
professionalism and talent that Fred Sternfeld inspires in young performers
is incredible. At the age of thirteen, I had the great pleasure of playing
both Rhoda Penmark in The Bad Seed and Brigitta Von Trapp in The Sound of
Music under Fred's direction. That year I was cast in The Crucible, my
first Broadway show. More than ten years later, I am lucky enough to be
working on Broadway again in Peter and the Starcatcher, and I still count
my experiences with Fred as some of the most valuable learning
opportunities I've had. I would tell any aspiring actor to jump at the
chance to work with him."

Betsy Hogg

TV / Film: Rocket Science, Law & Order: SVU; Broadway: The Crucible,
Fiddler on the Roof, Showboat (tour), Peter and the Starcatcher;
Off-Broadway: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie; Graduate of Northwestern
University.

"I have had the incredible pleasure of working with Fred Sternfeld, David
Robeano, Bebe Katz, Natalie Green and John Krol for years.  I cannot
emphasize enough how much energy, talent, and love for performing this
staff brings to the table.  Not just for the performance but for every
performer.  I grew as an actor and singer more than I could have ever
imagined and it was because of these directors.  I am incredibly lucky to
have known and worked with all of them and am anxious for others to have
the same chance to grow in every way!  Working with these actors and
directors means working with the very best!!"
Sean Cahill JCU graduate. Credits: Children of Eden, The Laramie Project,
West Side Story, The Diary of Anne Frank, Pride & Prejuduce, Eat: It's Not
About Food.

"The biggest aspect about working with Bob Russell that was different than
any other teacher I had previously was that he never treated me like a kid.
 I am now able to be successful in every aspect of college theatre and
could not have done any of it without everything taught to me by Bob.  He
pinpointed where I was successful, and then led me in the direction to work
on what needed to be fixed. Anyone who gets the privilege to learn
something from Bob Russell should soak in every skill, tool, and piece of
information he gives. There’s no way I would be as confident as I am today
without what he taught me. "

Jessica Hirsh
Freshman Theatre Major at The Ohio State University. Credits: Les
Miserables: School Edition, Urinetow, The Music Man, Big, the musical.

"Dancing is a universal method of communication, and learning how to dance
is like learning a new language. When you learn how to dance, the world
becomes a fundamentally different place, because you have a new
understanding of how people work and live in their bodies. I can't imagine
having learned the language of movement from anyone other than Bebe, who
makes the work significant, beautiful, and fun."

Austin Riley

Freshman at NYU. Credits: The Music Man, Urinetown, Les Miserables, Big,
the musical.Studied with Bebe for 3 summers.

Dear Fred,

Thank you for everything you have done for me. Without your guidance I
guarantee I would not have gotten in to Interlochen. You have given me the
tools and techniques to develop a character, analyze a script and stand out
in my auditions. I will forever be grateful for the world of theatre that
you opened up for me. I appreciate you always being on my side and I will
never take my training for granted.

Billy Lawrence

3 productions of A Christmas Story at the Cleveland Play House including 2
as Ralphie.

"Working with Bob Russell has helped me grow tremendously as a performer.
He is a knowledgeable, encouraging teacher, and a talented director. I
would work with him on any project!"

Leah Saltzer
High School student. Credits: Hope in Urinetown, Liesl in The Sound of
Music.

"We have known Bebe for over four  years and during that time, she has
helped us grow as actors, dancers and people.  She has been a great role
model. Bebe is always positive and has taught us to work hard.  She is fun,
inspiring, and patient, no matter if we are learning a new dance or
blocking a scene. The journey that we have been on with Bebe has been
amazing and we are so thankful for the past, and excited for the future as
we continue to learn from her wisdom for years to come!"

Joelle and Rachel Rosenthal (ages 12 and 11)

Joelle Credits: Children of Eden, Les Miserable: School Edition, Little
Sally in Urinetown, Marta in The Sound of Music.  Rachel credits: The Music
Man.

"I have learned more than theater under Mr. Sternfeld's direction. Through
various productions and classes, I have become the person I am today; a
person I am proud to be."
Sean Grandillo
Sophomore BFA Musical Theatre Major at Ithaca College currently on hiatus
while touring in a production of Tom Sawyer. Credits: Jean Valjean in Les
Miserables: School Edition, Cain / Japheth in Children of Eden, Adam in The
Apple Tree.

"When Bob and I first met, I was relatively new to theater with no formal
training and only one show under my belt. Bob is an amazing director and an
inspiring mentor. Under his direction I learned: comedic timing,
archetypes, and the importance of embracing and truly becoming the
character. Bob has been such an influential person in my development as a
young actor and for that I owe him many thanks. "

Jerry Shepherd

High School Student. Credits:  Officer Lockstock in Urinetown, Olin Brit in
The Music Man, Seaweed in Hairspray.

"Our son has been in several shows with Bebe.  Bebe has always been a very
positive supporter of our son encouraging and challenging him in dance.  As
a new, inexperienced dancer, Adam was unsure whether or not he would enjoy
dance.   Bebe seems to understand the special technique for a male dancer
and has worked well with our son to help to develop his skills.  She expects
the students to work hard but she also brings a positive and encouraging
attitude to the process.  As a result, our son has come to love dance and
looks forward to additional dance training."

Liz Hass-Hill, mother of Adam Hass-Hill
High School Student. Credits: Tommy Djilas in The Music Man, Bobby Strong
in Urinetown, Les Miserables: School Edition, Big, the musical.

"Fred Sternfeld has always been such an incredible mentor and director. He
has helped me cultivate my craft as a young actor and has always been so
supportive throughout my career. He is such a smart director and really creates
such a safe space for young actors to grow. I have him to thank for
believing in me and helping me become the actor I am today."

Hillary Elk

Appeared on Broadway in the Tony-Award winning musical Memphis. Graduate of
Baldwin-Wallace University Musical Theatre program.

"I had the privilege of working with Fred in Les Miserables right before
going to New York and it was the top of my musical theatre training in
Cleveland.  Everything that I knew and learned before training with Fred
was worked out, perfected and mastered before I went before Broadway
Directors.   I have since then worked with many Broadway Directors,
and everything
that Fred taught me correlated well with what I have learned here in New
York. Fred believes in you and he always knows how to bring the best out of
you.  Thanks for your dedication to developing young artists and helping
them reach their Broadway dreams!"

Isabela Moner
Broadway: Evita. Cleveland: Annie, Fiddler on the Roof, Les Miserables:
School Edition.

"Fred is incredibly encouraging to young performers in the arts. He is
supportive and patient, and most importantly professional. Fred helped to
ignite my passion for live performance at a young age, and I am grateful to
have had such a positive experience to look back on."

Hannah DelMonte

Credits: Broadway revival and national tour of Fiddler on the Roof.
 Graduate of Baldwin-Wallace University Musical Theatre program.

"Brian Zoldessy is the greatest acting teacher I have ever had. He first
directed me in Lord of the Flies in 2002, which ended up being one of the
most rewarding acting experiences of my life. Brian has helped me grow in
ways I didn't think possible. I've recommended him to everyone I know
seeking a coach"

Alex Wyse
Broadway: Lysistrata Jones; Off-Broadway: Bare, Triassic Parq. TV: “Bored
to Death”  BFA - Boston University.

*

--
Fred Sternfeld, Executive Artistic Director - Hathaway Brown Theatre
Institute <http://www.hb.edu/page.cfm?p=1899>

*Hathaway Brown School *19600 North Park Boulevard Shaker Heights, Ohio
44122