[NEohioPAL] Appy for CPT's Springboard, Leap/Conceive and Big Box!

Emily Ritger eritger at cptonline.org
Fri Apr 19 07:05:09 PDT 2013

Cleveland Public Theatre

New Work Development Series

Request for Proposals

Deadline for submissions is

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A core value of Cleveland Public Theatre is to support and nurture the development of new works of diverse style, discipline, and creative processes by Northeast Ohio artists. CPT has three development series that we will continue in our 13/14 Season; Springboard, Leap/Conceive and Big Box. Occurring throughout the season, each development series will focus on different aspects of the development process and needs of individual artists.

For next season, we have combined the proposal process for all of our 13/14 development series. Rather than submit separate applications for all three series, as in years past, artists are welcome to apply for one, two or all of CPT's development series described below in one submission. Our goal in combining the proposal process is to encourage artists to evaluate the current state of their project and select the series, or multiple series, that will best support the growth of their project throughout CPT's 13/14 Season.

Application Deadline is Wednesday, May 1, 2013
Click here for the New Work Development Series Application.<http://www.cptonline.org/13NWD_RFP.pdf>

Springboard is a staged reading series that seeks to form and deepen relationships between playwrights and directors.

Leap/Conceive looks to reach beyond the text and conventional theatre making to experiment with a short segment of a larger piece nearing readiness for production.

Big Box offers artists and small theatre companies the opportunity to self-produce original works of theatre, dance, performance art, music, or genre defying performances.

Artists must read the full description/detail of the programs found on our website before applying.

Prospective Series Dates

Springboard:                                       October 2013
Leap/Conceive:                                  Late October through mid-November 2013
Big Box:                                              February and March 2014

Selection Criteria

In selecting projects for our New Work Development Series we will look at a number of factors.

 *   Adventurous, New Work
 *   Artistic Growth
 *   Leadership Skills
 *   Artistry

Adventurous, New Work
Is the work adventurous and new? CPT has a history of producing work that no one else in town will produce because it is somehow "outside the box." Artists proposing for CPT's development series are encouraged to consider why CPT is the right place for your project to grow.

Artistic Growth
How will participation in this program impact the applicant professionally and artistically? CPT wants to have a real impact on the community and provide resources to projects that will benefit the most.

Leadership Skills
Has the artist/group demonstrated the ability to produce and create the proposed work? We aren't looking for top notch producers, but we do want to feel confident that the artist/group has a clear understanding of what it takes to pull off a show and how to assess their own capacity.

Artistry
All artistic enterprises require risk and there are no guarantees. However, it's important to demonstrate a level of artistic excellence and an understanding of artistry. This might be demonstrated in a work sample, resume of artist, script of past or current work, or in a project summary. Video materials are NOT necessary to apply, but can be helpful in demonstrating artistic level.

Questions

Please contact:           Emily Ritger
                                    New Play Associate
                                    216-631-2727 x 210